Dubai Is Still In The 3rd World

Topic locked
Dubai is still in the 3rd world Jun 03, 2009
Britons Sally Antia and Mark Hawkins jailed in Dubai for adultery

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 414584.ece

don`t they know it is now 2009

reading the above article why would nice white western ppls want to holiday there?

chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 03, 2009
Hmm, there are a number of reasons why Dubai is still 3rd world, but this ruling is not one of them.

Strict laws dont make a country 3rd world, however discrimination in applying laws certainly do....
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 03, 2009
Completely agree BR.

Adultery is as illegal here as drink driving or taking drugs. By all means do it if you want to, but if you get caught, you end up in prison.

Unless you're a local presumably :wink:
Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 03, 2009
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 03, 2009
How disgusting. Those Arabic people are just sitting there instead of helping that poor man getting attacked by a vampire.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Jun 03, 2009
They probably didn't have a cross handy.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 03, 2009
Things like this really annoy me, it's so stupid and unnecessary. What a waste of time and money. No one else's business expect the couples.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 03, 2009
If you dont like the Country's Laws

Just Leave it :D
uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 03, 2009
Once again a typically well thought out reply from someone with nothing better to do. The police/courts time would be better spent cracking down on killer drivers, drug dealers, human traffikers, pimps etc etc.

Nice to know you've got your priorities right!

What a ridiculous answer! And maybe you should look closer to home and analyse how your own are behaving instead of others first!

Also legally, if the marriage took place in the UK, then the British embassy should have warned the husband not to bring a case and to resolve the issue in the country where the marriage contract was issued and deal with it there.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 03, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Once again a typically well thought out reply from someone with nothing better to do. The police/courts time would be better spent cracking down on killer drivers, drug dealers, human traffikers, pimps etc etc.

Nice to know you've got your priorities right!

What a ridiculous answer! And maybe you should look closer to home and analyse how your own are behaving instead of others first!

Also legally, if the marriage took place in the UK, then the British embassy should have warned the husband not to bring a case and to resolve the issue in the country where the marriage contract was issued and deal with it there.

Don't bother Chocs. The chances of you having a decent and fair debate on this forum are akin to finding a needle in a haystack!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 03, 2009
Well with that kind of crappy attitude is it any wonder this place is still seen as living in the dark ages.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 03, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Well with that kind of crappy attitude is it any wonder this place is still seen as living in the dark ages.

We can provide candles for anybody who thinks we live in Dark ages :violent3:

By the way, I like "Stone Age Cartoons"
:naka:
I really missed Firefingers :violent1:
uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 04, 2009
And Dubai always will be behind..... its mentality issue mostly
hakka
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 04, 2009
Speedhump wrote:Image

Just look at this guy resting in the lap of his woman. So Peaceful.
The passion for love is flashing from the photo. No colours needed.

I'm so proud of my Western values. Free society :idea:
It might as well be said on occassion. We take it for granted in Europe ;)
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 04, 2009
RobbyG wrote:

Just look at this guy resting in the lap of his woman. So Peaceful.
The passion for love is flashing from the photo. No colours needed.

I'm so proud of my Western values. Free society :idea:
It might as well be said on occassion. We take it for granted in Europe ;)

You said everything that needs to be said. Wonderful. Middle Eastern and Eastern societies also had their very long periods of peace, stability, freedom and creativity, but that is a long time in the past now. I wonder when the wheel will turn again, if we give it a chance and don't destroy the planet first.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 04, 2009
^^^I see lot of local couples now holding hands. This is normal behaviour and its great to see locals getting an opportunity to express their emotions and feelings.

Any society impacted by extremists is not a good sign. Extremes are never good.^^^
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 04, 2009
Whole-heartedly agree with that.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 04, 2009

This picture makes no sense with the alarming rate of increase in divorces in the western society.

The Arab couple maybe be sitting apart, but they are more likely to end up staying happily married with each other than the western couple.
redtilldead
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 04, 2009
You think? Funny that, because statistics also show that divorces between ME couples are on the increase too.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 04, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:You think? Funny that, because statistics also show that divorces between ME couples are on the increase too.

Yea they are increasing, but nothing near to the levels of the western society.
redtilldead
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 04, 2009
And? it really doesn't have anything to do with it.

It's human nature to want to be close to another, to touch, to be held, to deny these things is totally unnatural.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 04, 2009
redtilldead wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:You think? Funny that, because statistics also show that divorces between ME couples are on the increase too.

Yea they are increasing, but nothing near to the levels of the western society.

Mate one of the reasons for divorce is couples growing apart. Mental stimulation, physical intimacy are key. Certain societies might be more impacted by the fast pace of life as compared to another. I doubt, it has any thing to do with East, West, North or South.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 04, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:And? it really doesn't have anything to do with it.

It's human nature to want to be close to another, to touch, to be held, to deny these things is totally unnatural.

It has something to do with it, maybe not specifically in this thread, but in general. When the world sees that pic, everyone will only think of one thing; the "free" society of the west compared to the east. And hence my first reply to the thread.

And i agree with "It's human nature to want to be close to another, to touch, to be held, to deny these things is totally unnatural" (obviously) but you can do all that privately aswell. Just doing that in publicly doesnt mean you are "free" or love him/her more.

BTW, i dont mind nor care about holding hands and stuff, thats fine. I was just talking about the picture.
redtilldead
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 04, 2009
In many cases women are more career orientated, relationships, family are taking a back seat.

Personally why would you want to spend your entire life with one person, it would bore the hell out of me. No ta, variety is the spice of life.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 04, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:In many cases women are more career orientated, relationships, family are taking a back seat.

Personally why would you want to spend your entire life with one person, it would bore the hell out of me. No ta, variety is the spice of life.

Im sorry to say but I expected a much better reply from you having read some of your previous debates.

I strongly disagree (maybe its just me) with what you stated destroys the meaning of marriage. Marriage is about commitment and going through with everything in life as "one". If a person is extremely career minded then s/he shouldnt even marry in the first place and should just stick to dating. You need to set your priorities. Marriage should be for people who are ready to stick with each other with the rest of their lives and not just get "bored" with each other. (ok, now some extreme cases dont apply lol)

Think we have another case of western vs eastern mentality here. I just wanted to say what i had too in my first post. Some will agree, some wont and i doubt any convincing will help.
redtilldead
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 04, 2009
Well I don't believe in 'marriage' in the first place. Why do people have to have a 'contract' to prove they are dedicated to one another, it's just a piece of paper at the end of the day.

Nothing to do with East or West. I don't believe anyone has the right to tell you how to live your life.

That's my opinion.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 04, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Well I don't believe in 'marriage' in the first place.

I do. End of story.

We can debate forever, so there's no point. :D
redtilldead
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 04, 2009
Well good for you. And yeah you can debate it forever, it's not for everyone, so we'll agree to disagree.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 04, 2009
The photo is clearly not about marriage at all. It's about expression of love. You can debate until the cows come home about the difference between the two, and whether love has to be accompanied by marriage, but what on earth is wrong with showing affection in public, in a nice way. It's just twisted to say it has to stay behind locked doors.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 04, 2009
uaebadoo wrote:If you dont like the Country's Laws

Just Leave it :D

In Al Ain do they still use buses to drive their goat around the area ?
chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat