WHY SOME... TRYING TO CHANGE THE PERSIAN GULF NAME TO OTHER?

Topic locked
May 05, 2009
True. However, everyone I know and all the businesses we deal with will alwaysrefer to it as the Arabian Gulf and nothing else.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 05, 2009
LOL. In my business both are used! :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 05, 2009
Speedhump wrote:LOL. In my business both are used! :D

Exactly :wink:

Keeps everybody happy. Both North and South.
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 05, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Wiki is nt a reliable source. The information on this site is put up by random people and is not verified.

On the other hand, Wikipedia often includes a lot of references to scholarly material at the bottom of a Wiki page, which can be followed to provide further reading. Wikipedia is useful as a small part of an online investigation, but I agree its veracity can't be taken for granted. :)

Well the guys at Wiki are making a conscious effort to improve. They've even opened up a second office in India. Wiki is a fab initiative. And if anyone got a few extra pennies, then he could donate to the Wiki cause.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 05, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:
Speedhump wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Wiki is nt a reliable source. The information on this site is put up by random people and is not verified.

On the other hand, Wikipedia often includes a lot of references to scholarly material at the bottom of a Wiki page, which can be followed to provide further reading. Wikipedia is useful as a small part of an online investigation, but I agree its veracity can't be taken for granted. :)

Well the guys at Wiki are making a conscious effort to improve. They've even opened up a second office in India. Wiki is a fab initiative. And if anyone got a few extra pennies, then he could donate to the Wiki cause.

I agree, the idea is great, and if its openness to manipulation is brought under control it's a hugely useful resource.

I will consider donating to it, thanks. I never thought before.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 05, 2009
In 330 B.C, the Achaemenid Empire established the first Persian Empire in Pars (Persis, or modern Fars) in the southwestern region of the Iranian plateau. Consequently in the Greek sources, the body of water that bordered this province came to be known as the Persian Gulf.

Considering the historical background of the name Persian Gulf, Sir Arnold Wilson mentions in a book, published in 1928 that:

“ No water channel has been so significant as Persian Gulf to the geologists, archaeologists, geographers, merchants, politicians, excursionists, and scholars whether in past or in present. This water channel which separates the Iran Plateau from the Arabia Plate, has enjoyed an Iranian Identity since at least 2200 years ago. ”

No written deed has remained since the era before the Persian Empire, but in the oral history and culture, the Iranians have called the southern waters: "Jam Sea", "Iran Sea", "Pars Sea".

During the years: 550 to 330 B.C. coinciding with sovereignty of the first Persian Empire on the Middle East area, especially the whole part of Persian Gulf and some parts of the Arabian Peninsula, the name of "Pars Sea" has been widely written in the compiled texts.

In the travel account of Pythagoras, several chapters are related to description of his travels accompanied by Darius the Great, to Susa and Persepolis, and the area is described. From among the writings of others in the same period, there is the inscription and engraving of Darius the great, installed at junction of waters of Arabian Gulf (Ahmar Sea = Red sea) and Nile river and Rome river (current Mediterranean) which belongs to the 5th century BC where, Darius, the king of Achaemenid Empire has named the Persian Gulf Water Channel: Pars Sea

With the rise of Arab nationalism (Pan-Arabism) in the 1960s, some Arab states of the region started adopting the term "Arabian Gulf" (in Arabic: الخلیج العربي al-khalīj al-ʿarabī) to refer to the waterway. However, this naming has not found much acceptance outside of the Arab world, and is not recognized by the United Nations or any other international organization. The United Nations Secretariat on many occasions has requested that only "Persian Gulf" be used as the official and standard geographical designation for the body of water. Historically, "Arabian Gulf" has been a term used to indicate the Red Sea. At the same time, the historical veracity of the usage of "Persian Gulf" can be established from the works of many medieval historians.

At the Twenty-third session of the United Nations in March-April 2006, the name "Persian Gulf" was confirmed again as the legitimate and official term to be used by members of the United Nations.
reza
Dubai Forum User

May 05, 2009
Thanks reza, very informative.

Platts , the 'leading global provider of energy and commodities information, with a century of business experience, serving customers across more than 150 countries'....

....use the term AG in their daily oilgram newswires.

One in the eye for the U.N. AND Iran !! :D :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 05, 2009
Speedhump wrote:Thanks reza, very informative.

Platts , the 'leading global provider of energy and commodities information, with a century of business experience, serving customers across more than 150 countries'....

Good for you. Wonder how much that cost the Arabs. Sure they take your money as always and print that to make you happy for a while. Sorry but Arabian Gulf started with Saddam and ended with him. And I think what UN usually dose gets into your eyes, not Persians. :D At some point you have to understand you cant buy respect. It’s earned by your actions and progress. Try that for a change.

But when back to reality, it’s The Persian Gulf. Your ancestors called it so and so should you. :D

By the way, all I see on Platts pages is PG.
bezor
Dubai Forums Member

May 06, 2009
bezor wrote:

Good for you. Wonder how much that cost the Arabs. Sure they take your money as always and print that to make you happy for a while. Sorry but Arabian Gulf started with Saddam and ended with him. And I think what UN usually dose gets into your eyes, not Persians. :D At some point you have to understand you cant buy respect. It’s earned by your actions and progress. Try that for a change.

But when back to reality, it’s The Persian Gulf. Your ancestors called it so and so should you. :D

Not good for me....I don't mind either way :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 06, 2009
bezor wrote:

31--HI Sulfur Fuel Oil (Resid) Conversions Either Side of **
New York (Platts)--29Apr09/0639 am EDT/ 1039 GMT
C=Change from Prev. Day's Price !=Today's Price

Spor 180CS! 44.86**44.86 +9.88 291.58--291.62 +9.88
Spor 380CS! 45.13**45.13 +9.63 288.82--288.86 +9.63
Arab 180CS! 43.93**43.93 +9.88 281.13--281.17 +9.88
CIFARA 3.5 41.43**41.18 261.00--261.50
NWEFOB 3.5 40.08**39.84 252.50--253.00
MEDFOB 3.5 41.67**41.42 262.50--263.00
CIFMed 3.5 42.82**42.56 269.75--270.25
NYCar 2.2P 41.65--41.85 266.56**267.84

These are contractions for geo. areas, NWE=N.W.Europe, Spor=Singapore, Arab=Arabian Gulf.

But as I said I neither know nor care whether anyone here or on the moon (the U.N. counts as that) believes that AG or PG is correct, there are more important things to argue than when the Persians gave up what are now Arab lands ;)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 06, 2009
also

http://www.platts.com/News%20&%20Market ... 20Reports/

Asia-Pacific / Arab Gulf Marketscan (APAG)

Above posted just for sake of information, I seriously don't want Iran to be nuking Dubai over a name... ;)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 06, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
bezor wrote:

Not good for me....I don't mind either way :D

For sure you work and argue hard for somebody not minding either way. :D
bezor
Dubai Forums Member

May 06, 2009
Only interested in accuracy, LOL, we can leave it now! :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 06, 2009
Speedhump wrote:Only interested in accuracy, LOL, we can leave it now! :D

Market report:
Speedhump shares increased with 4.9 percent today on excellent numbers provided after Q1 2009.

Bezor shares closed 8.7 percent lower after providing disinformation about its fuel data. Bezor is losing consensus credibility and loyal customers and will have to deal with superiority of competitor Speedhump in the next quarters... 8)

Keep it up men. :wink:
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 06, 2009
Data analyst RobbyG sticks it to the men :)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 06, 2009

Accuracy? Ok, so get your facts right. But I guess I’m talking to death ears which seem to be a common disease in this part of the world. :D

Your right. We leave it now.
bezor
Dubai Forums Member

May 06, 2009
bezor wrote:

Accuracy? Ok, so get your facts right. But I guess I’m talking to death ears which seem to be a common disease in this part of the world. :D

Deaf ears you mean. Tell me which FACTS I got wrong? We can't leave it now.

Come on, quote one of my posts and show a wrong fact that you saw.

You call me deaf, I'll call you blind then! :P
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 06, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
bezor wrote:

The fact is that none of you Arab countries even existed until recently. Most of you were tribes under the British rule. I mean, look at your borders. Straight lines just like all North Africa. Iran is a country with thousands of year’s history. And all the land around the Persian Gulf belonged to Iran as recent as 400 years ago.

Now we have some Arab countries (well cities to be correct) in the South and England divided what used to be Iraq into two countries. We are happy for your new identity and actually support you most of the time. But here again you try to shoot yourself in the foot.

I understand there are some Arabs who like their countries to be in the big league. But if you feel beaten by your enemies and can’t fight them back, you can’t compensate that by trying to steal from us. You as an individual have all the right to think what you want. The problem was the governments and they got the message.

As a friend of Arabs I will let it go here. I am sure you will find more facts to support your opinion.

Good luck
bezor
Dubai Forums Member

May 06, 2009
bezor wrote:
Speedhump wrote:
bezor wrote:

The fact is that none of you Arab countries even existed until recently. Most of you were tribes under the British rule. I mean, look at your borders. Straight lines just like all North Africa. Iran is a country with thousands of year’s history. And all the land around the Persian Gulf belonged to Iran as recent as 400 years ago.

Now we have some Arab countries (well cities to be correct) in the South and England divided what used to be Iraq into two countries. We are happy for your new identity and actually support you most of the time. But here again you try to shoot yourself in the foot.

I understand there are some Arabs who like their countries to be in the big league. But if you feel beaten by your enemies and can’t fight them back, you can’t compensate that by trying to steal from us. You as an individual have all the right to think what you want. The problem was the governments and they got the message.

As a friend of Arabs I will let it go here. I am sure you will find more facts to support your opinion.

Good luck

My friend you are a loon. I am not an Arab country and I am not an Arab. I said none of the things you ascribe to me. I never even expressed an opinion, so you are shooting at completely the wrong target! :D

You can't unfortunately follow a simple thread. I told you you way back I have no opinion on this silly argument. I guess your thinking is too wooly or your mind too enraged to remember who said what here and rather than go back and read the thread again you just will attack whoever is in your line of sight. LOL.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 11, 2009
fact? :)

in fact for some of arabic countreis this is only a game ;they r just playing;even they dont know what they r talking about;if they win (no way;no how)fine if not ;nothing to lose

but fact for other countries;they dont want lose any thing here;if they want deal with iran they calling it persian gulf and if they want to get a deal with others they will call it arabic or any thing else

but what is the fact for iranian ? money or game ?
reza
Dubai Forum User

May 11, 2009
Persian Gulf...what about Arab gulf?
Tim Patterson
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 11, 2009
Yikes, just read all the posts...seems the Persians and Arabs might have a bit of an awkward relationship, hmmm?
Tim Patterson
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 12, 2009
It's only pride at stake, no money or international reputation, because no-one else cares a toss! ;)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 12, 2009
reza
Dubai Forum User

May 12, 2009
Is the Gulf Arabian or Persian ?
It depends on your kind of persuasion !!
If you live in Dubai,
It's "Arabian" you buy!!
You agree with the Government's version !!!!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 12, 2009
Now that Gulf is brim full of oil !!!
Under water as well as dry soil !
There's oil and there's gas,
And PLENTY of BRASS!!
Arabian Gulf?? Of course!! ...and no toil !!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 22, 2009
:violent2:
reza
Dubai Forum User

May 22, 2009
Speedhump wrote:It's only pride at stake, no money or international reputation, because no-one else cares a toss! ;)

Only pride??? Pride of your country or heritage might not be important for you but it’s important for most people which is obvious even on this forum with people from different nationalities. And I don’t know why anybody else should care since it’s an argument between Iranians and Arabs.

As I’ve told before to my Arab neighbors, they did not even exist as countries until recently. Most of them were Bedouins under British rule. You do the math…

If it’s of such low value to you, maybe you don’t mind if others start to call your country or part of it something else. By the way, what country are you from?
bezor
Dubai Forums Member

May 23, 2009
bezor wrote:
Speedhump wrote:It's only pride at stake, no money or international reputation, because no-one else cares a toss! ;)

Only pride??? Pride of your country or heritage might not be important for you but it’s important for most people which is obvious even on this forum with people from different nationalities. And I don’t know why anybody else should care since it’s an argument between Iranians and Arabs.

As I’ve told before to my Arab neighbors, they did not even exist as countries until recently. Most of them were Bedouins under British rule. You do the math…

If it’s of such low value to you, maybe you don’t mind if others start to call your country or part of it something else. By the way, what country are you from?

I'm from the UK. As I have said above if you missed it (if you are new to forums, I would advise that you need to read whole threads before posting in them), the French and British have always disagreed about the name of the English Channel. We don't pay foreign map makers to print our version; we understand that national pride is not served by such petulant foot stomping. The Middle East and Subcontinent however are full of such lovers of rhetoric and meaningless symbols, which can be whipped up into nationalistic frenzy quite easily. As I said, only pride.

You begin local Arab history only during the period of British rule? Convenient for you. ;)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 23, 2009
“lovers of rhetoric and meaningless symbols”???

I guess the British went half way across the world to the Maldives (oh sorry Falklands) for vacation.

Have yet to meet a Britt not correcting me when I say Maldives. I know the Arab history of the land around The Persian Gulf. Do you know your Arab history or is it just what you heard from your family?

You should know that it is common for people migrating to other part of the world to remember their old land as something of an oasis.

But I see you have adapted the superior attitude of the British. They have deserved it. I admit to that. :D
bezor
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat