Emirates Airliner 'centimetres' From Disaster - SOLVED NOW

Topic locked
Emirates airliner 'centimetres' from disaster - SOLVED NOW Apr 14, 2009
"An Emirates Airline jet came within centimetres of crashing at Melbourne airport last month when it barely cleared the 2.4-metre perimeter fence on takeoff". This is miserable situation. http://www.arabianbusiness.com/552376 . Authorities should take an immediate action.

Anosh
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 14, 2009
Apparently they did take action by having the two pilots resign.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 14, 2009
Very weird case. If two pilots resign voluntarily that could mean they didn't follow Company procedures and kept the honor to themselves to save their careers.

After speed V1, and aircraft normally rotates as it gained enough speed to become airborne. If those pilots used the entire runway for gaining speed, they were attempting to follow a zoomstart, which is a very nice move for an (ex) jetfighter pilot, but not so much for the aircraft / maintenance costs in the long run.

The tail strike makes it even more weird than the situation already is. What in the hell were those pilots thinking!?

And that for a respectable company like Emirates. Its really a faceloss if you ask me. Have you seen those strict requirements for accepting pilots? There were more people sleeping in the company at that time, if you ask me...
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 15, 2009
I hate media reports like this, because it's all hearsay and allegedly, with comments by arm chair pilots who know nothing about flying commercial aircraft.

The resignation of the two pilots is premature, if there was an issue with them, (under the influence etc) they would have been suspended pending an investigation. The aviation authority report has not been finalised or released as yet. That and only that, can tell you what actually happened.

Sounds more like a technical/engine fault with the aircraft more than pilot error.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 15, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:
Sounds more like a technical/engine fault with the aircraft more than pilot error.

Says the armchair pilot
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 15, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:I hate media reports like this, because it's all hearsay and allegedly, with comments by arm chair pilots who know nothing about flying commercial aircraft.

The resignation of the two pilots is premature, if there was an issue with them, (under the influence etc) they would have been suspended pending an investigation. The aviation authority report has not been finalised or released as yet. That and only that, can tell you what actually happened.

So that's to say that the reports in the newspapers are wrong. It was clearly stated that the pilots resigned. There was no mention of them being suspended.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 15, 2009
That is a newspaper report, not hard fact, look how many times the word 'claimed' 'claims', are used throughout the piece. Having worked as a journo myself, you use these words and 'allegedly' when you don't have cold, hard facts. As I said it's based on hearsay, and nothing more.

The only thing that will document exactly what happened will be the aviation report, and you won't get to see what that says, unless Emirates allow it to be published.

Armchair pilot? Possibly, but my father has worked for Emirates for over ten years, so at least I'll find out what happened, and I might or might not tell you! Neh!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 15, 2009
BB, do you actually READ anything properly! I never said they were suspended, I never disputed the fact they resigned, I said their resignation was 'premature'!!! Normally in these situations, air crew are suspended from flying until the investigation is complete, or unless there is good reason for immediate termination! In this case there seems to be none, so I don't know why they resigned.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 15, 2009
So your assessment is based on what your father surmised?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 15, 2009
maximusprime wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

Says the armchair pilot

Well actually both my parents fly and I was taking lessons, but I've run out of cash at the moment. One again, judging before knowing the facts.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 15, 2009
Chocs it is way too early in the morning to get into it with you. And stop with the !!!!!!! I get what you are saying without the !!!!!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 15, 2009
Okay you wanna know what happened? Just spoke to daddyo, here it is, nothing very interesting to be honest.

The two ops pilots, who look after take off and landing, got their weight figures wrong, so obviously as they're going down the runway, the plane is alot heavier than they calculated. They are at V1 stage, so have no option but to try and get the thing in the air, as it's too late to abort the take off.

They go for a hard rotation, which scrapes the tail on the runway - tail sections are reinforced and all aircraft are tested for this on the production line and test flights, so no danger to the aircraft.

But obviously because of the things the plane hit on its attempt to get in the air, they had no choice but to dump the fuel and make an emergency landing back at the airport.

The ops pilots resigned, otherwise they would have been sacked, and there will be an investigation as to why two experience pilots could get it so wrong.

Happy now?! Told you it wasn't very interesting. Same thing happened 5 years ago.

So it was indeed human error.

This is not hearsay or what is claimed to have happened. This is actually what happened.

All sorts of incidents happen all the time, you just never get to hear about them.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 15, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Okay you wanna know what happened? Just spoke to daddyo, here it is, nothing very interesting to be honest.

The two ops pilots, who look after take off and landing, got their weight figures wrong, so obviously as they're going down the runway, the plane is alot heavier than they calculated. They are at V1 stage, so have no option but to try and get the thing in the air, as it's too late to abort the take off.

They go for a hard rotation, which scrapes the tail on the runway - tail sections are reinforced and all aircraft are tested for this on the production line and test flights, so no danger to the aircraft.

But obviously because of the things the plane hit on its attempt to get in the air, they had no choice but to dump the fuel and make an emergency landing back at the airport.

The ops pilots resigned, otherwise they would have been sacked, and there will be an investigation as to why two experience pilots could get it so wrong.

Happy now?! Told you it wasn't very interesting. Same thing happened 5 years ago.

So it was indeed human error.

This is not hearsay or what is claimed to have happened. This is actually what happened.

All sorts of incidents happen all the time, you just never get to hear about them.

thanks for the explanation.. it does make sense to me...

my brother and sister works for emirates too... interesting to know your parents work for emirates...

a question raised!!! how old are you??? you are here all this time with your parents? :P I thought you are in the age of my parents... a granny perhaps??? :D
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Apr 15, 2009
Haha my folks have been here for 10 years. Actually my father is just retiring, he's paid his dues big time.

My brother and I keep following my parents around the world, they can't get away from us - although they try their best! We're a very nomadic tribe. Next stop Australia! Well maybe, perfectly happy in DXB at the moment.

I don't think there's anyone here that doesn't know people who work for Emirates. Some of their stories are hilarious! Never piss of the cabin crew - EVER!!!!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 15, 2009
Mostly i listen the comments - I HATE MEDIA - MEDIA LEADING THE WRONG DIRECTION - FAKE NEWS and Bla Bla Bla. A simple question. How to get the hard facts, how to get remain updated, how to know whats happening around the world. We cannot go and find personally if some one attacking on the countries and cannot personally find how many causalities etc. Only the news sources teach what is happening. Now to accept or denied is your own choice. You people have to say i don't believe on a particular NEWS, not a blaming on entire media. After all all fashion, glamor news, styles etc we are also getting from MEDIA.... :)
Anosh
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 15, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Haha my folks have been here for 10 years. Actually my father is just retiring, he's paid his dues big time.

My brother and I keep following my parents around the world, they can't get away from us - although they try their best! We're a very nomadic tribe. Next stop Australia! Well maybe, perfectly happy in DXB at the moment.

I don't think there's anyone here that doesn't know people who work for Emirates. Some of their stories are hilarious! Never piss of the cabin crew - EVER!!!!

I have never ever had an incident with a member of any cabin crew. I respect these people because they do what I never could do. If you are nice to them they will go out of their way to assist people. Sometimes you get a grumpy one, but having people tear you apart in so many directions (Excuse me, Get me, I want), I can understand it so if I need something I will ask another attendant or get up myself and go to the galley. I did get a grumpy one and asked her if I had done something wrong and she apologized and adjusted her attitude.

We all have bad days and they are entitled to have one as well. I can't stand those people who travel who think that the cabin crew is there to "serve" only them. Also, never mess with anyone who has control over your food!! and that includes waiters.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 15, 2009
No, but when and article says, 'claimed' 'claims' or 'allegedly' this means they do not have the actual facts, as I have given you. Therefore it's speculatory and only what they know at the time, and should not be read as hard fact. Therefore when journalists use these terms, they do not know for sure and there is always an air of doubt. That's how the media works.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 15, 2009
doesn't the black box determine the cause of such things ?
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Apr 15, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Haha my folks have been here for 10 years. Actually my father is just retiring, he's paid his dues big time.

I have never ever had an incident with a member of any cabin crew. I respect these people because they do what I never could do. If you are nice to them they will go out of their way to assist people. Sometimes you get a grumpy one, but having people tear you apart in so many directions (Excuse me, Get me, I want), I can understand it so if I need something I will ask another attendant or get up myself and go to the galley. I did get a grumpy one and asked her if I had done something wrong and she apologized and adjusted her attitude.

We all have bad days and they are entitled to have one as well. I can't stand those people who travel who think that the cabin crew is there to "serve" only them. Also, never mess with anyone who has control over your food!! and that includes waiters.

I know an ex-Emirates cabin crew girl. It's 100 percent true about what they do to the food of obnoxious passengers (she said you do have to be REALLY bad to them though...).
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 15, 2009
No, the black box is only used if an aircraft crashes. It records all the flight data and communications from the aircraft, to air traffic control and other aircraft. In this case, it was obvious where the fault was and was dealt with.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 15, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:

Haha no well I have alot of friends that are crew and pilots, and the stories they tell are hilarious. If you get bad passengers, then they can really get their own back, and who can blame them. It's a tough and challenging job and I have full respect for anyone that does it.

Watch out for the eyedrops!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 15, 2009
tail scratching is not normal and has a great potential for total loss of a plane .
It was sheer luck that the plane made it despite hitting objects while trying to get airborne.
it was a new Airbus series with powerful engines, which normally can get speed and uplift rapidly under most circumstances.
They are computer controlled but need to be fed with the correct information before take off.
The pilots realized their mistakes or their responsibility and preferred to take a graceful exit to have an opportunity to be hired by another airline or for an air freight company.
As everybody knows, airline business has to have a safety first philosophy
and Emirates is no exception in this regard and will not take a second chance.
Btw they only need to read the computer info to get an idea what caused the incident happened. no need to to open the black box.
macjul
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 15, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

Haha no well I have alot of friends that are crew and pilots, and the stories they tell are hilarious. If you get bad passengers, then they can really get their own back, and who can blame them. It's a tough and challenging job and I have full respect for anyone that does it.

Watch out for the eyedrops!

Eyedrops?? What exactly do they do with them? And what is the effect?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 15, 2009
put them in your coffee and wait
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 15, 2009
Didn't change my coffee just yet. Should I still drink it? ;)
RobbyG

Apr 15, 2009
RobbyG wrote:Didn't change my coffee just yet. Should I still drink it? ;)

Don't stray too far from white porcelain if you do.....
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 15, 2009
My head starts turning...what should I do...
RobbyG

Apr 15, 2009
it's when you start turning inside out you know the drops are working....
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 15, 2009
You have both been very helpful as usual. (Did I just sound like Chocs?!!!!!)
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 15, 2009
When will I start puking? Anyone?

I just farted more blood than I could ever imagine. Who should I sue :lol:

Chocs or Emirates? ;)
RobbyG

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat