Real Human Tragedy

Topic locked
Real Human Tragedy Feb 18, 2009
Some people love to talk about bad stuff about Dubai and some locals have the impression that I'm the bearer of bad news. While debating that we tend to forget that there is a real human tragedy what Dubai is going through. Just yesterday hundreds of laborers from a contractor around me got their termination notices. I saw several people crying. I was told there were people from India who had loans back home to come here, some up to a year of their salary. So if they worked here for less than a year, they worked all this time for free and are still in debt. It breaks my heart. This morning one of their secretaries came up to me with his personal story. There expecting their first child next month. He is a sole provider to his sick mother, 3 younger sisters and their husbands back in India. He is like a father to them. All this on a mere 4000 salary and a huge loan to pay here. I was almost in tears after that.

K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 18, 2009
Life is tough. Everyone's subjected to their own stories. It's quite sad what's happening now and it will still continue.

They say the toughest steel is subjected to the hottest fire.

Whatever people planted yesterday, is harvested today. The crisis we are seeing now did not happen overnight.

And yes, it's sad to see situations that affects the lives of people, but hey, as we can't change anything now, either stay happy and revise your personal strategy, or be sad and do nothing about it.

As long as we breathe, there is hope for a change.
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 18, 2009
People have their mind set on things like dubai is rising and will never fall
Nothings permanent
so if people around u start suffering dont be disheartened
deadlife
Dubai Forums Talker

Feb 18, 2009
Yes we are living in a disastrous world right now. Unfortunately this is life for many people in 3rd world countries working in Dubai or for that matter any other developing country. Economic crises affect the rich’s luxuries but the poor’s necessities.

If you would like to sell your house in Nevada and be a Mother Teresa like figure that would be awesome. But in this instance, if you were moved to tears then a couple of thousand dirhams from your pocket would really give you genuine blessings from this Indian bloke.

As coolio said:
“The situation's so twisted everybody getting lifted
I'm just trying to take care of my kids and handle my business”

Funny enough the richer the folks the less altruistic they are at times… not making any correlations to you here.

Why don’t you help this Indian Bloke K-Dog it would be very well done on your part?

Here listen to these two songs while contemplating the deed. The second one is a dose of Jew guilt :)

Coolio - I'll C U When U Get There

Matisyahu - King Without A Crown
godsent
Dubai Forums Talker

Feb 18, 2009
godsent wrote:Yes we are living in a disastrous world right now. Unfortunately this is life for many people in 3rd world countries working in Dubai or for that matter any other developing country. Economic crises affect the rich’s luxuries but the poor’s necessities.

If you would like to sell your house in Nevada and be a Mother Teresa like figure that would be awesome. But in this instance, if you were moved to tears then a couple of thousand dirhams from your pocket would really give you genuine blessings from this Indian bloke.

As coolio said:
“The situation's so twisted everybody getting lifted
I'm just trying to take care of my kids and handle my business”

Funny enough the richer the folks the less altruistic they are at times… not making any correlations to you here.

Why don’t you help this Indian Bloke K-Dog it would be very well done on your part?

Here listen to these two songs while contemplating the deed. The second one is a dose of Jew guilt :)

Coolio - I'll C U When U Get There

Matisyahu - King Without A Crown

You may think your trying to be cute by being a smart ass. I was just describing my feelings and hoping to start an intelligent debate. And who says I will or will not help, I don't need your advice. I agree we all live in a screwed up world.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 18, 2009
And why don't you leave people's personal problems alone? I may be in a worse situation than this guy by having a mortgage twice the amount of my Las Vegas house is actually worth at the moment. Still doesn't mean I can't talk about other people's suffering around me and feel for them.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 18, 2009
Chill K-Dawg... I was merely stating the obvious...

I wasn't rattling your cage first thing in the morning...

Well for your health and general disposition I hope your feelings improve..if not there's always neat smirnoff shots in like 10 hours... :D
godsent
Dubai Forums Talker

Feb 18, 2009
godsent wrote:Chill K-Dawg... I was merely stating the obvious...

I wasn't rattling your cage first thing in the morning...

Well for your health and general disposition I hope your feelings improve..if not there's always neat smirnoff shots in like 10 hours... :D

Na dude. Vodka has never been my thing. Jose Quervo is my friend, he will give me company this afternoon.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 18, 2009
well I hope this will tell you guys not to make fun of them anymore and brag about it every time you hear about a layoff, it is depressing for everyone, I hope things will turn to normal back again soon for them.

I remember shack zaied may god bless his soul, some foreign company owner specialized in water tech came and told him that they can computerize the hall watering system in AD and alain without a need for a human or old Fashion gardening and will be coast sufficient and his reply was (( if we apply this method and leadoff the thousands of workers in this field how are they going to support their families back home, can your computers feed them ))
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 18, 2009
Tequila's anyways closer to your neck of the woods.

So how does it work you have a bottle in your table drawer....and sneak some into your coffee mug... i got a song for that feeling too today :lol:

Chumbawamba - Tubthumping

I guess your office pantry has salt and lime too innit :lol:
godsent
Dubai Forums Talker

Feb 18, 2009
It's a sad situation and everybody is effected in one way or another. This is not a short-term issue, this could go on for years.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 18, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:It's a sad situation and everybody is effected in one way or another. This is not a short-term issue, this could go on for years.

Nawhh!!! That's highly pessimistic missy! (perhaps you need some Quervo to ease up the somberness too)
This recession is cyclical and yes we are entering or are in drudged times but it will not go on for years...well at least for all our sakes I hope not.

The funny thing about this recession is countries/cities in Asia that are most active and rely on International investments to keep the mill moving are most affected. Read: HK, Singapore, Dubai

Thus the old adage holds true "the higher they are the harder they fall."
godsent
Dubai Forums Talker

Feb 18, 2009
godsent wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:It's a sad situation and everybody is effected in one way or another. This is not a short-term issue, this could go on for years.

Nawhh!!! That's highly pessimistic missy! (perhaps you need some Quervo to ease up the somberness too)
This recession is cyclical and yes we are entering or are in drudged times but it will not go on for years...well at least for all our sakes I hope not.

For once, Chocoholic is right. Recessions do last for years. Thinking it will magically go away by the end of 2009 would be a line used by property developers here.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 18, 2009
its very ironic. what you see around you in dubai has been created by most of the westerners. Emaar wasnt an idea of a local or an arab, am sure some advice came from some bloke from uk.

same goes for burj al arab or dubai land or even the metro. or even the salik.

no offense to the arabs, but i dont think they are the most "creative" ppl on earth. so what you see around yourself in dubai or even in other parts of UAE were created with the help of westerns and asians.

these ppl have advised the gov what to do and what not to do. they came up with salik, they did their job, took the money from the gov and moved on. NOW when everything goes BAD they expect the same gov to clean up their mess.

Where are those ppl now? why dont they advice the gov what to do now?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat