What To Do, When There's Nothing You Can Do

Topic locked
What to do, when there's nothing you can do Feb 09, 2009
I'm so sad. Today I got the phone call I'd been dreading, the results of my doggy's biopsy test. Sadly she has an aggressive cancerous bone tumour in her lower jaw and there is nothing that can be done about it.

Chemo won't help and at her age (11) to put her through the surgery to remove it - you're basically talking about removing half the lower jaw bone, would be painful, traumatic and stressful and I can't put her through that.

I've had this little doggy of mine since she was 6 weeks old and could fit in the palm of my hand. I brought her over the UK, she's always been there through thick and thin, she is a member of my family and now I feel helpless as there's nothing I can do to help her. But sit and wait for nature to take it's course. Luckily for now the cancer has not spread, but it is inevitable.

It's heartbreaking.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 09, 2009
A dog eh?
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 09, 2009
Yes, and she's absolutely amazing, with a huge personality! I'm completely gutted.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 09, 2009
I understand how you must feel... but cheer up.... 11 yrs together aint bad either... no puppies ?
Jot
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 09, 2009
That is sad news Chocs :( I'm really sorry to hear that. Try to enjoy the time you have left together. If only pets could live longer... too much heartache when we lose so many dear friends over the course of our one lifetime.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 09, 2009
I can empathise. It's soul destroying to lose a dog that you have known for so long. Non-dog people don't always get it fully, but when ours died at 15 years my daughter was the same age, so she'd known him her whole life .

I'm feeling so sorry for you. You're great (and unselfish) for refusing to put her through major surgery and recovery, at her age it woud be so unkind.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 09, 2009
No, no puppies. I had her done as soon as she was old enough.

Yeah, make the most of it hey.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 09, 2009
sry to hear it Choco..... if you need to calm urselves down let me know....
desert surfer
Dubai Forums Talker

Feb 09, 2009
sorry to hear that choc, I lost my cat too, it's a sad thing when you get attached to them .
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 09, 2009
Tuff luck wench,it does suck
busa
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 09, 2009
So sorry to hear that Chocs! I know you’re devastated.

I lost 2 dogs and 3 cats over the years. I know all about it!

BTW,

What kindda doggie she is (Breed)??

11 yrs old. How old is that you reckon in human terms??

Did they tell how long she has?

:(
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 10, 2009
She's German Shepherd x Collie, so two working breeds = complete nutter, super intelligent and on the go all the time.

In human terms she's 77 years old.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 10, 2009
sorry to hear that choc..if i were you and im so attached to my dogg ..i will go for the surgery if its 100% guaranteed
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 10, 2009
naruto wrote:sorry to hear that choc..if i were you and im so attached to my dogg ..i will go for the surgery if its 100% guaranteed

An 11 year old dog would have great pain and suffering through such an operation at such an age. Only a person who puts their own wishes above the suffering of an animal would go through with the operation so it's not an option. It's been said already here.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 10, 2009
naruto wrote:sorry to hear that choc..if i were you and im so attached to my dogg ..i will go for the surgery if its 100% guaranteed

Naruto, I can't put her through that! You're basically talking about removing most of her bottom jaw! That is invasive, terribly painful and traumatic!

She is in no pain at the moment, is eating, playing, running around like a looney as always. The cancer has not spread as yet, so better to leave her as she is and deal with it when the disease does eventually spread than put her through months of agony. It's not fair!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 10, 2009
I guess you don't want to look ahead too much, but eventually painkillers will be fine for a while so long as she's eating normally and enjoying her life. You'll know just by looking at her when the time has come to call it a day, then you have to be brave. I'm so sorry.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 10, 2009
Well I'm seeing the vet tomorrow, so I'll obviously ask all the questions then, but you know it could be months or years. It seems to be pretty stable at the moment.

She's such a nut job, it won't be difficult to tell when things start to bug her. I mean she ate loads of soap not so long ago, had to be opened up to get rid of it all, she felt sorry for herself for about a day and a half, then was off running around acting like a puppy again. She has a very high tolerance to things. So I think she'll be keeping me amused for a long while yet.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 10, 2009
soap, OMG that's funny. Yep she's off the hook alright :)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat