My Employment Contract Not Being Followed

Topic locked
my employment contract not being followed Aug 08, 2008
Hi, I always read the thread here and it helps me be informed
on what are the things we really need to be aware of. I just arrived
2 weeks ago and started working for about a week now. The thing is
in my contract it is stated that I will only be working 8 hours a day plus 1 hour lunch break, but I found out that we are only allowed 30 minutes lunch break. So this make the working day 9 hours. Then I also found out that they hold your passport and if ever you request it, they will just give you a photocopy. I also heard about the roster thing, am I already entitled for that as they said that for a 3 month probation, I am not entitled to have it. I work in a big British company and I know that they follow rules so I need your help to clear things up. Thanks

Komobee

komobee
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 09, 2008
If your contract states your working hours then that's what they should stick to.

With regards to passports - they categorically cannot hold it! It's illegal! If you demand it, they should give it to you on the stop, no ifs or buts and if they refuse call the police and get them to hand it over. For every passport held a company can be fined 10,000 Dhs and run the risk of losing their trade licence! I understand why many companies do hold passports, but they are not allowed to. Tell them they can keep your labour card, but not your passport! It is the property of your government and no-one has the right to hold it but you!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 09, 2008
I also heard about the roster thing...
what do you mean by this?

all employees are subject to 3 months probation, during this time you are not entitled to much, actually you don't even accrue leave during this period.

passports, i agree 100% with chocs.
although the practicalities of actually getting it back without jeopardising your position are difficult- especially when its a new job

working hours by law are 48 hours per week, unless you are in the hotel or a service industry where by law they are 54 hours a week. If you are working a 5 day week this is about 9 hours a day (without your lunch break).
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Aug 09, 2008
Actually its written in my contract that i will be working 8 hours a day plus 1 hour lunch break but I am working 9 hours a day, 6 days a week. I dont know what is the right thing to do since I am just new. One of my officemates complained and he was in a bit of trouble. I am an engineer so i think looking for a job here wouldnt be that difficult for me but of course I prefer to stay. Any suggestions?
komobee
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 09, 2008
komobee wrote:Actually its written in my contract that i will be working 8 hours a day plus 1 hour lunch break but I am working 9 hours a day, 6 days a week. I dont know what is the right thing to do since I am just new. One of my officemates complained and he was in a bit of trouble. I am an engineer so i think looking for a job here wouldnt be that difficult for me but of course I prefer to stay. Any suggestions?

This place is horrible for non-Western engineers, dude. You are only one step above a janitor. Get out while you can.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 10, 2008
Im an engineer too and I have had to deal with similar hours and dissapointments. Get your passport back
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 10, 2008
Totally agree with my learned friends.

NO company has the right to your passport. Actually, technically, it is the property of the government from where you belong.

Approach your company and tell them that you require the original to open a bank account [they don't need to know the real reason]. But INSIST that they do not ahve the right to it. It's YOURS !

You don't have to be subservient or malicious. Just be positive and emphatic. The first person to approach is your boss. The 2nd is HR or Personnel. The third would be higher up the tree.

Again. You don't need to be aggresive, or come across as moaning. If that does not work, approach your embassy and ask their advice.

Good luck.
g00se
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 10, 2008
Unfortunately g00se the embassies are not much help. The British Embassy will actually turn around and tell you that it shouldn't happend but it does, and there's nothing they can do about it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 10, 2008
Thanks for all your nice suggestions. I will definitely find a way to get my passport back. Opening a bank account is really a nice idea. As for gtmash, I am not gonna stoop down to your level.
komobee
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum