Exited And Nervous

Topic locked
Exited and Nervous Jul 30, 2008
My partner and I are moving to Dubai in September and as well as being exited we are both nervous about the whole move. On top of everything that we are currently sorting out in the UK I would could do with some help on the following:

Will TV's purchased in the UK work in Dubai?

Any suggestions to where the best areas are to live? I am prepared to pay 8,000 to 10,000 Durhams p/m. I will be working in IMPZ.

What is the average time to find accommodation in Dubai?

What are usually included when renting unfurnished apartments, i.e fridge, cooker??

Are taxis the best option for travel. i.e. I am traveling 1 hour per day to and from the office, 5 days a week. How much would this cost in taxis? Or would it be more cost effective to rent / buy a car?

I have a million more questions but I'll stop there or I'll be boring you all day. However I would really appreciate any help on the above.

Paul :?

paulc
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 30, 2008
Yes tv's will work here, the voltage is the same and most sockets are uk standard 3 pin anyway, so same same.

What is IMPZ? Never heard of it!

In most areas you won't get much more than a 1 bed apartment for what you want to pay unfortunately, unless you go to International City.

Unfurnished, usually means absolutely nothing.

Taxis, you'll go crazy after a few days. Buy or rent a car, it's easy enough to change your UK drivers licence over to a Dubai one anyway.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 30, 2008
Cool Re. the TV. Saves a bit of cash I suppose?

IMPZ - International Media Production Zone. Early development stages at the moment. Next to Sports City.

What can you pick up 2nd hand cars for? Or rather, roughly what's the difference (percentage wise) than in the UK?
paulc
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 31, 2008
Ah then International City might well be good for you as it's only just up the road from where you'll be working.

Cars - no idea, I've been here too many years to know the difference now. Depends what you want and what you want to pay. Although there are several dealers that you shouldn't touch with a barge pole! Personally I could never drive a 'car' here, 4x4 is the way to go.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 02, 2008
you must be working with itp or another one of the media ops here

i'd personally avoid int. city and look for something in barsha or jumeirah-- you'll pay more but it will be worth it

i agree w/choco-- get a rental for the first month (approx. 2200) then buy a used pajero or the like-- the accidents here are horrific and SUVs are the way to go
Sydneysider
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 05, 2008
How much would you be able to pick up a Pajero (for instance) - 3 or 4 years old?

Also any idea to what I can expect to rent a 1 bed apt in Jumeriah or Barsha? Ballpark figure I guess. Definitely after a pool.
paulc
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum