Unmarrieds

Topic locked
Unmarrieds Jun 26, 2008
Could someone please just clarify the following since I am thinking of moving my girlfriend out:

Are non-married couples permitted to live together in Dubai?

What would happen to the couple if they were discovered?

Tried researching thedubaiguide.com web site, but no details.

DannyA
Dubai Forum Guest

Jun 26, 2008

No, it's illegal.

You'd either be fined, jailed or fined, jailed and deported.
Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Unmarrieds Jun 28, 2008
DannyA wrote:Could someone please just clarify the following since I am thinking of moving my girlfriend out:

Tried researching thedubaiguide.com web site, but no details.

Ofcourse non-married couples can live together...

What are you? obviously not a resident here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
W & C
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2008
use the SEARCH function on this site, the topic has been discussed and debated to death already
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jul 08, 2008
officially,it's forbidden ,like many things, but who knows,except you that you are not married. I know many people in Dubai who live together and are not married
ciloun
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 08, 2008
Basically if you're western and non-muslim they turn a blind eye to it, unless you do something to upset your neighbours.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 09, 2008
As Choco said, if you're in DB, you're probably gonna be ok.

HOWEVER [and it IS a big however] if anything happens to you or g/f, it will be an excuse for the authorities to deport/ jail/ punish the non-muslim infidel that you are.

A couple of weeks ago, friends here were involved in a car crash, in which he was hospitalised for a few days. Cops obviously involved. She made statements to them, but the local muppet who was involved in the other car insisted that more punishment was warrented. Cops then did a little more investigation and discovered that these two were not married.

They have lived all over the world [I met them in China 8 years ago] with no similar issues in any nation they have lived. After an innocuous car crash [being in mind, that it was not even their fault] they are now being deported. I've no idea what happens to all their belongings or bank accounts or anything like that, but do YOU think this is a fair system ?

And pleeeez don't be quoting some religious nonsense at me. I'm quite au fait with the requirements of Islam and totally respect those who practice faithfully and honestly.
g00se
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 27, 2008
g00se wrote:Cops then did a little more investigation and discovered that these two were not married.

That's unlucky but it sounds like pressure was put on the cops, if pushed, cops will have to deal with it because you are breaking the law.

What C said is about right usually.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum