Recruiting Summer Interns - Visa Question

Topic locked
Recruiting Summer Interns - Visa Question Jun 09, 2008
Hey all

Does anyone know if there is any provision for Recruiting Overseas students as Summer Interns in Dubai?

Since they are on Visit Visa's does that prohibit them from working as Interns or is there an application which can be made to the Labour Department or Free Zone authority?

Thanks

KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 10, 2008
I would say that's pretty much impossible. No they can't work on a visit visa, they have to be sponsored by the company, have a labour card and health insurance.

Even students living here can't find summer work because of those issues.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 11, 2008
There was a recent report change in the law which allowed for young adults/students to work. I don't remember details, and it may not apply to visiting students. Try searching gulfnews.com, they're usually ok with stuff like that. Another possibility might be the mission visa although I don't think it's intended for students.

If the internships are unpaid, then maybe there's more flexibility in how the law is applied?
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 11, 2008
Thanks for the answers people

Anyways, luckily the student in question has a residency visa, so all we needed to do is issue an identity card from TECOM (AED 650)

bonk wrote:If the internships are unpaid, then maybe there's more flexibility in how the law is applied?

No, actually the visa clearly states that you cannot seek employment (paid or unpaid)
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat