Can My Mother-in-law Live With Us?

Topic locked
Can my mother-in-law live with us? Apr 01, 2008
Hi everyone, I've recently been offered employment in UAE (Dubai) and if I take the job, I'll be moving there with my wife and mother-in-law. This brings up the question - can my mother-in-law move to Dubai with us on a long term basis? In short, I can't take the job unless she comes with us (it's a very lucrative job as well). We’re her only family and she needs to be with us.

I'm very worried for many reason because for one, I'm not sure what type of visa she can come here on (as a maid?), and in addition, she is HIV positive (through absolutely no fault of her own, the details certainly being better off not written on a public forum).

Is there any way my wonderful mother-in-law can stay in Dubai legally? I have no idea if age has anything to do with it, but she is in her fifties. Has anyone been in this situation? Many sincere thanks for any insight!

Erasmus
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Can my mother-in-law live with us? Apr 01, 2008
Erasmus wrote:Hi everyone, I've recently been offered employment in UAE (Dubai) and if I take the job, I'll be moving there with my wife and mother-in-law. This brings up the question - can my mother-in-law move to Dubai with us on a long term basis? In short, I can't take the job unless she comes with us (it's a very lucrative job as well). We’re her only family and she needs to be with us.

I'm very worried for many reason because for one, I'm not sure what type of visa she can come here on (as a maid?), and in addition, she is HIV positive (through absolutely no fault of her own, the details certainly being better off not written on a public forum).

Is there any way my wonderful mother-in-law can stay in Doha legally? I have no idea if age has anything to do with it, but she is in her fifties. Has anyone been in this situation? Many sincere thanks for any insight!

Regretably regardless of everything else because she is HIV positive she cannot stay here permanently. No getting around it. So do not reveal that. At best she can stay for as long as her visitor visa allows and then she can make "visa runs" (go out of dubia to another country and then re-enter). If she has a european/american/australian, etc. passport she won't be too hassled by immigration she is simply visiting her son/daughter.

It is admirable that you want to live with your mother-in-lawy! Most people do not.

Best of luck.

P.s. You mentioned Dubai and Doha in the same post but I am assuming you mean Dubai.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 01, 2008
Yes I meant Dubai, thank you.

And another thanks for the quick, informative reply.
Erasmus
Dubai Forum Guest

Apr 01, 2008
Erasmus wrote:Yes I meant Dubai, thank you.

And another thanks for the quick, informative reply.

It is exactly correct what Concord has told you, your Mother-in-Law could come on a visit visa basis only, under nor circumstances would she be allowed to stay, as a foreigner, if her HIV condition was discovered.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 02, 2008
Taking into account what has been said above, also consider:

1. You cannot get HIV/Immuno drugs here.
2. If they discover the condition, there will be a black stamp on her passport, prohibiting from ever entering the country again.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 02, 2008
Sad to say but the above info is correct. And basically were she ever to become ill and taken to hospital or the doctors here, once they discover it, they basically hold you and stick you on the first plane out.

It's a shame but unfortunately there is no way around that.

Plus you cannot be on a visit visa indefinately, they'll wise up to it in the end.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum