UAE To Get Self Serve Petrol

Topic locked
UAE to get self serve petrol Mar 09, 2008
http://gulfnews.com/nation/Traffic_and_ ... 95984.html

A bit humerous really. In Australia we have had self service since I was a small child, but I doubt the concept would catch on here.

Even so, one of the biggest flaws is this service requires you to purchase prepaid cards to utilise the self serve feature!

Perhaps if petrol stations here accepted credit cards... but they won't do that anymore because they didn't want to pay the small transaction fee.

At $100+ a barrel these guys must be hurting.

^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 09, 2008
like any emiratee will step out of his car and fill up..
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 09, 2008
ebonics wrote:like any emiratee will step out of his car and fill up..

Like anyone would? Occasionally when it's really busy I've got out of the car at the petrol station and filled my car, but I have seen many sit in their car indignantly tooting their horn - and most of them weren't Emirati.

Perhaps there needs to be an education program on *how* to usual a petrol pump.
^ian^

Mar 09, 2008
^ian^ wrote:Perhaps there needs to be an education program on *how* to usual a petrol pump.

funny you mentioned it, the other day funniest **** ever..

this indian guy, physically drove off while the hose is still attached to his car, breaking the hose off the bowser, smashing his back left tail light

and dinting his car around the petrol tank severely (i think the tank opening got bent too

you can imagine the carnage this caused at the petrol station....

abu dhabi is a marvelous place - its like living in the 70s.
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 09, 2008
ebonics wrote:
abu dhabi is a marvelous place - its like living in the 70s.

Minus the marijuana I imagine.

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often actually, the whole driving off with the pump still in the tank... I think is part of the reason why they wash the windows and make sure they finish washing them *after* the pump has stopped pumping.
^ian^

Mar 09, 2008
wtf :evil: are they nuts or what, day by day there are more things which makes live not worth here anymore, the small things here there (ban smoking, black point crap etc etc....... ongoing stories.
NO i did not even read it, headline was already enough :evil:

Hee and btw it will affect a couple of "jobs"... well some kind of jobs but anyways.... the next step is rising the prices to Euro level... thats it than we can go back and leave all the crap behind us :lol:
M!
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 09, 2008
Before I came here, I was always used to filling my own car. Don't see a problem with it. But yeah I guess the pre-paid cards are because of the fact that some people seriously won't get off their arses and fill their car themselves, let alone then go intop the station to pay for it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: UAE to get self serve petrol Mar 10, 2008
^ian^ wrote:Even so, one of the biggest flaws is this service requires you to purchase prepaid cards to utilise the self serve feature!

Perhaps if petrol stations here accepted credit cards... but they won't do that anymore because they didn't want to pay the small transaction fee.

Actually these self service pumps are only in Abu Dhabi where they do accept credit cards.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 10, 2008
At least 50% of the time that I go to fill-up, I get out and start the process myself, I would be only glad to have the self serve as in most other parts of the world.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 10, 2008
hope not.... the smell of petrol under 50C will physically kill me .. :( .
JMK
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 10, 2008
They were discussing it on the radio this morning, and some complete knob says "This climate is not condusive to self serve" - er what a bout the poor guys standing outside all day, and it would only take you a couple of mins to fill your own car. :roll:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 10, 2008
I've done plenty of "selve serve" myself. I remember the first time I did it, I had to ask whether it was allowed (in some places like New Jersey in the USA you, as a driver, are prohibited from pumping your own gas).

My objection is that it will take away jobs from people who really need a salary. It is a though job (hot, unhealthy, unapreciated, etc.).

On a per-gallon basis what are this bastards going to make extra - a couple of fills by eliminating these jobs. I remember that when I first came to Dubai they used to always wash the car windows - nowadays hardly ever.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat