Dubai forums Addict

Nov 02, 2007
sadly, yes

lots of discussion on the UAE community blog on this in comments section

the AIDS thing is especially scary
Sydneysider
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 02, 2007
This is true. Not only foreign women can be raped here, but men as well.

The sad fact is that if you come forward and complain to the authorities, the assailant will just say "you're in a relationship" or the victim is a prostitute? The irony is that the victim ends in jail for having illicit affair or s.3x with consent even if you come forward and complain that you're being raped.

And yes, this kind of case doesn't make much publicity in local news.

If you come to think of it, we should be living in a society that is fear free of being raped, since Islam doesn't tolerate s.ex before marriage, and religion plays a vital role in every culture and in justice system in any Islamic country. But it seems the opposite.
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 02, 2007
yes it was in gulf news .. ofcourse not the same article just mentioning the court case.

Sadly,, I think the UAE justice system is lagging way behind the rest of the country.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 03, 2007
Well, we dont live in the middile ages as the french mother said,we have one of the best justice systems in the world, and this story was written in all the arabic local news papers, and the french Embassy is involved, The judge on Wednesday set another hearing for Nov. 7.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21562458/

http://www.alkhaleej.ae/articles/show_a ... val=440660

Prosecutors here reject such accusations. “The legal and judicial system in the United Arab Emirates makes no distinction between nationals and non-nationals,” said Khalifa Rashid Bin Demas, head of the Dubai attorney general’s technical office, in an interview. “All residents are treated equally.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/01/world ... ?ref=world
uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 03, 2007
IF the charges prove true-- and we should always presume the innocence of the accused-- then I very seriously doubt the Emirati justice system will let them off. Such a course would prove disasterous to the ambitions of the country's log term ambitions.

This one will be watched, and if if guilt is demonstrated, then there will have to be retribtion.

If not, in many people's minds (here and overseas), it'll be "bye bye Dubai"... that place where white Western boys get raped by Arabs...
Sydneysider
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 04, 2007
we have one of the best justice systems in the world

With all respect you can't really make that claim. Granted the law system in the UAE may be better then some third world countries, but it is way off being one of the best in the world.

I support this family and believe they should go as public as they can - if that was my kid I would have taken justice into my own hands and shot all three sickos between the eyes.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Nov 04, 2007
i agree with Jabba, very far fetched belief if you think best in the world.

I am interested in the outcome of this. Am also interested to see if any more cases pop up after this. The Doctors conduct (Suggesting the boy not being Hetro) was appaling...

By the way, have foreigners previously been charged with similar cases? if yes, i would be interested to know the difference in punishment, if any.
rvp_legend
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 05, 2007
rvp_legend wrote:i agree with Jabba, very far fetched belief if you think best in the world.

I am interested in the outcome of this. Am also interested to see if any more cases pop up after this. The Doctors conduct (Suggesting the boy not being Hetro) was appaling...

By the way, have foreigners previously been charged with similar cases? if yes, i would be interested to know the difference in punishment, if any.

Then can they prove that UAE nationals and foreigners are treated equally in Dubai.
royski
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 05, 2007
uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 05, 2007
Added by mistake
sorry guys :D
uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 05, 2007
Added by mistake
sorry guys :D
uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 05, 2007
Added by mistake
sorry guys
uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 05, 2007

Who said the US had the best legal system? It's widely regarded to be a litigious mess, though still much better than here in that it's much fairer.

The words "world class" and "world leading" are used FAR too often in the UAE by companies and government, in many cases the UAE is decades behind the world's best and indeed such a tiny country of only 5m people that nobody gives a toss anyway.
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 14, 2007
You can argue all day about the pros and cons of the legal system, but this topic has reignited a question that I have wanted the answer to for a while now.
It seems that the boy who was raped knew his attackers and may have even been 'friends' with them.
It is a well known urban legend that sodomy is common at some schools in Dubai...
NOT THAT THERES ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT! :)
This taboo topic has been briefly exposed in the local media covering stories about bullying at schools but it is never confirmed or denied. I forget the school, but I know that it wasn't an English or American school.
I come from a school system where boys are likely to hide their homosexuality for fear of being outcast or even bashed.
But in this case, I understand that sodomy is used as a display of superiority.
This is how it was explained to me by a man who attended a school in Dubai. But I still half think that he was joking with me. Maybe he was trying to find out which side I bat for. :) :) :)
Is there any truth at all to this?
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Nov 16, 2007
Sodomy definitely occurs in the penal system here in US. It is based on superiority over the weaker man (women in prison have their own practice too), so if you go in appearing weak or not willing to align with a prison gang, you're bait. As far as the US legal system, it serves it's purpose sometimes but definitely serves those who are financially able to defend themselves. Otherwise, there is a prison economy here that benefits from labor and lucrative government contracts.
Mikado7
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 18, 2007
There are obvious reasons why US prison inmates choose this method of intimidation.
It still doesn't explain why it would happen at a school.
benwj

re Nov 19, 2007
This is true, but young people from all walks of life try to live the thug life they see in popular culture. If not, I guess the world is really crazy.
Mikado7
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 19, 2007
I was referring to the lack of female companionship in prision that forces men choose other forms of gratification.
Without this catalyst, it would not happen, and it certainly isn't glorified in popular culture.
If it were, I would expect a lot more responses that just you.
Thanks anyway.
benwj

Nov 19, 2007
benwj wrote:I was referring to the lack of female companionship in prision that forces men choose other forms of gratification.
Without this catalyst, it would not happen, and it certainly isn't glorified in popular culture.
If it were, I would expect a lot more responses that just you.
Thanks anyway.

eheheheh this is funny stuff.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 27, 2007
Its funny unless you are the parent of the boy who comes crying to the principal's office because he has just been fudge packed in the boys school toilets.
benwj

Nov 28, 2007
Sick story.

I hope the perps get the heaviest sentence possible. Actually, as one poster suggested, they should get far worse...

I believe the victim entirely, ie he was raped. But I will just say one thing:

In my experience growing up and going to school here, we were all very aware of a certain social phenomena - describing it as delicately as possible, I would say ''western expat adolescents of a particular persuasion fraternizing with young arab youth/local youth of similar persuasions''...

This is not intended to offend anyone, of any nationality. I am simply stating a fact which we - typical expat kids - were very aware of. And yes, of course, the same could apply to just only expat kids. But I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the above scenario...

The whys and the hows can be quite explainable too - you are talking esentially about people at a young vulnerable age, perhaps the one party being ostracized by or outside the acceptance of their school, while the other party is, essentially, outside the main segment of society as a whole. The two come together a lot in Dubai...

So like I say, this is not the first case of its kind that I have heard of. Granted, most of them have not ended in such a terrible fashion, but it is not the first of its kind....
burton
Dubai forums Addict
Location: meanstreets of satwa, outside your mosque, stealing your shoes...

Nov 28, 2007
uaebadoo wrote:Well, we dont live in the middile ages as the french mother said,we have one of the best justice systems in the world, and this story was written in all the arabic local news papers, and the french Embassy is involved, The judge on Wednesday set another hearing for Nov. 7.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21562458/

http://www.alkhaleej.ae/articles/show_a ... val=440660

Prosecutors here reject such accusations. “The legal and judicial system in the United Arab Emirates makes no distinction between nationals and non-nationals,” said Khalifa Rashid Bin Demas, head of the Dubai attorney general’s technical office, in an interview. “All residents are treated equally.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/01/world ... ?ref=world

HAHAHAAHA this must be the last biggest Joke of 2007 :D hahaha
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

re Nov 29, 2007
I like your explanation Burton. My original post came from a sociological background into the topic understood through primary research, but you were diplomatic in explaining the how & why of the subject. Here in the US, Matthew Shepard became a victim/symbol of intolerance along the same lines. When he was a teen in Morocco, he had the exact same experience, and it was said of him that he had the posture of a victim, so it definitely sounds similar & sad. In another direction something that I could never understand is this: if this is based on power and other factors we can't exactly define, how can individuals biologically carry out the deed? It seems that if one is not of a particular persuasion, it would be sickening and impossible. Just curious to hear opinions on the topic since it's gone this far.
Mikado7
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums