If There Was One Thing You'd Do Before Moving To Dubai......

Topic locked
If there was one thing you'd do before moving to Dubai...... Sep 25, 2007
My wife, son and I are moving over from the UK in a months time. For those of you who have made the move what were the things that you'd do before you moved to help you prepare with the benefit of foresight. Any advise that can make the transition smooth and help me avoid mistakes will be welcome.

Thanks

BigO
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 25, 2007
I don't know how old your son is? But my 3 year old daughter doesn't understand how far away we are from the UK.

Get a webcam with voice.... so you and your family can stay in touch with home easily!

My daughter is chatting to her friends on the webcam.... it is keeping her and therefore me sane!!

AND..... make friends with people on here!
Dubai would feel pretty plastic and lonely if it wasn't for the great friends I have made on here!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
English Girlie
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 26, 2007
Bring more money with you. So you can pay rental checks. Get furniture etc.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 26, 2007
Bring a good selection of comedy DVDs over with you unless you like wall-to-wall American sitcoms.
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 26, 2007
Agree with both.

Additional, if you still have bank accounts or need to pay some bills (or to transfer to your parent/relatives) in your home country, Internet banking is also important so you can operate remotely from Dubai.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 26, 2007
scot1870 wrote:Bring a good selection of comedy DVDs over with you unless you like wall-to-wall American sitcoms.

You can download from Internet almost anything.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 26, 2007
You could try driving on the wrong side of the road the week before you come! It will probably prepare you for the driving here because you'd have to duck and dive just as much as driving on the right side of the road over here!!!

On a more useful note. Get your company to start the visa process as early as possible before you move out here because Ive been here 6 weeks and still dont have mine!!
Craigo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 27, 2007
Webcan check
I've got an IP spoofer so I can use 4oD, BBC real player etc and download English telly direct from the sites
Looking into a VPN to use Skype etc
What banks should I be looking at?
BigO
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 27, 2007
go to an attorney, make sure you have an up-to date will and testament, in addition have a close relative or friend nominated to have full power of attorney over your affairs and even bank accounts. i had this done and it has been useful on numerous occasions.

(not the will the power of attorney :D :D )
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 27, 2007
Most of my co-workers use HSBC or Lloyds TSB. Both can offer accounts locally or overseas (Offshore). If you are paid locally in Dirhams, some companies will 'request' that you bank with a bank of their preference. Should you decide not to heed their advice, then a 'charge' will be made to pay your wage into the bank of your choice.

Local Banks out here are very keen to lend you money and give credit cards, so should you fancy a Porsche Boxter for kicking about in, start checking out the specs and prices now.
mbwa shenzi
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 27, 2007
xty wrote:
scot1870 wrote:Bring a good selection of comedy DVDs over with you unless you like wall-to-wall American sitcoms.

You can download from Internet almost anything.

Call me quaint, I like watching TV on a sofa with a beer, not in front of a computer screen!
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 27, 2007
dbxsoul wrote:go to an attorney, make sure you have an up-to date will and testament, in addition have a close relative or friend nominated to have full power of attorney over your affairs and even bank accounts. i had this done and it has been useful on numerous occasions.

(not the will the power of attorney :D :D )

Serious point, if you have kids nominate a next of kin to take care of them should you and your spouse die - without it the authorities here will just simply send your kids to an orphanage :shock:
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 28, 2007
scot1870 wrote:Call me quaint, I like watching TV on a sofa with a beer, not in front of a computer screen!

Hook up an AV/HDMI cable from your laptop to your TV, or better buy a wi-fi digital streamer to stream wirelessly to any TV in your house (this is what I want to buy).
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum