Which Area To Live?

Topic locked
Which area to live? Sep 11, 2007
Hi all,

We might be moving to Dubai next year, so I'm looking into the housing business. My husband will be working at the Palm Island and my daughter will be going to the French school (close to Wafi Mall). What would be a good area to live? I've been looking at The Springs, but I understand that would be quite far for my daughter. Is there a nice compound like The Springs that's more in between my husband's work and my daugther's school? Thanks in advance for some "on the spot" input!!

loulou
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 11, 2007
loulou, to be honest your daughter's school couldn't be much further from your husband's work.

You should bear in mind that the heavy traffic flows from north to south (coming from Sharjah) in the mornings, and the other way in the evenings - so it's better to live nearer to your husband's work rather than near your daughter's school.

Umm Suqeim would be a good compromise in terms of geography, but it's expensive.
jayzed
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2007
The Greens, The Gardens, The Lakes, The Springs, Marina Area, Jebel Ali all are within easy commuting distance of the Palm

The last posters advice is correct regarding traffic and your daughters school location.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Thanks Sep 12, 2007
Thanks!!! I thought the distance between the two was terrible, and unfortunately I was right. But thanks for your input about the traffic, and at least now I know which areas to look for!!
loulou
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 12, 2007
Sorry I'm just going to tag on to this post as I didn't feel the need to start a new thread for a similar question.

Moving to Dubai very shortly and also looking for recommended parts of the city to live in. My company's Dubai office is on Al-Mina road. I don't mind a bit of a commute (I live in the NYC Metro area currently). Am more concerned with local proximity of things to occupy my free time with (restaurants, bars, nightlife, shopping, etc.) as it is just my girlfriend and I (both of us mid 20s). Leaning more towards 1 or 2 bedroom flats.

Any recommended areas to focus on?
hcaleman
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 13, 2007
hcaleman, Al Mina Rd is right in Bur Dubai - heaps of shops/restaurants around here. You can probably find some decent apartments near here.

Another option is to live on Sheikh Zayed Rd or around the Burj Residences/Old Town as this is also really convenient.

You can try a bit farther out to towards Dubai Marina, where there are also heaps of shops/restaurants/bars etc. There are heaps of apartments going out there at the moment from about 90-140K AED (p/yr) called JBR (Jumeirah Beach Residences).

You'll really need to check out which places you prefer as you have a few options. If you like culture, try Bur Dubai. If you want to live next to the tallest building in the world, try Burj Residences/Old Town. If you dont mind the commute and want to live in newer apartment blocks and want to live by the water, try Dubai Marina.
DeeDee
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum