Motorized Small Vehicle Without Driving License?

Topic locked
Motorized small vehicle without driving license? Jul 27, 2007
Is there or is it allowed in Dubai to have like a small scooter or any motorized small vehicle where we don't need a driving license? It'd used only in the neighborhood (not big/main roads) for my wife taking/pickup my kid to/from school (less than 1 km away).

xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 27, 2007
Kids ride these all the time. But I don't think they are legal. Technically.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 28, 2007
Are you insane!!!!

No, it's not legal and those things are an accident waiting to happen. No parent in their right mind would put a child on the back of one of those things.

If you're on the road, you need a licence - period!

Think of the consequences if something happened, you're not licenced, not insured etc etc etc.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 28, 2007
I know in some European countries you can use small motorized 2/3 wheels vehicles (small engine capacity, specific model, etc) on the road without license.

And off course I know that it will not be used for big/main roads. That's why I said for within the neighborhood/compound/complex or on residential roads only.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 28, 2007
Doesn't matter, it's still not legal. And I don't know anywhere in Europe where it is either.

If you have an accident, you're not insured. And as I said, this certainly is no safe way to transport children either.

Just because it's not used on a main highway it makes no different, if you are still sharing roads with other traffic, you need a licence an insurance.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 28, 2007
I take your point.
But taking a school bus doesn't guarantee it'd be safer too. I'm just trying to find alternatives.

Ideally, your apartment would be just next/in front of the school, but I doubt I'd get one.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 28, 2007
why someone would want to take a child on any form of vehicle other than a car or bus amazes me. As chocs said apart from the total lack of safety why would anyone want to ride around in the heat on a scooter etc.

:?
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 28, 2007
There's a chance with anything on the roads. But the point is, ANY vehicle used on a PUBLIC road, is required to be registered, licenced and insured.

The kids you see whizzing around on their quad bikes and scooters are none of the above and are illegal and if they get caught, their vehicle is confiscated and they get into trouble.

More over if they cause an accident, they're not insured, so any injured party has to cover themselves.

Of coure a school bus is safer when it comes to the manics on the roads here. Drivers don't give two hoots about bikes or scooters, they're a death trap waiting to happen.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 28, 2007
arniegang wrote:why someone would want to take a child on any form of vehicle other than a car or bus amazes me. As chocs said apart from the total lack of safety why would anyone want to ride around in the heat on a scooter etc.

If my wife had got the driving license and car herself, there would be no question.

PS: I often travel out of the country, so can't take my kid to school on regular basis.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 28, 2007
xty wrote:
arniegang wrote:why someone would want to take a child on any form of vehicle other than a car or bus amazes me. As chocs said apart from the total lack of safety why would anyone want to ride around in the heat on a scooter etc.

If my wife had got the driving license and car herself, there would be no question.

PS: I often travel out of the country, so can't take my kid to school on regular basis.

The school doesn't offer a bus service?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 28, 2007
People manage.

gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 28, 2007
gtmash wrote:The school doesn't offer a bus service?

Yes there is.
But can't imagine to let my 3 years old daughter taking the school bus all the way to Al Ghusais. So that's why I'm trying to find alternative like moving my apt nearby so my wife can take her somehow, at least before we're getting her own driving license and car.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 28, 2007
Children are in school at 3?!! And good lord it gets worse, you want to put a child that young on the back of a scooter?!

I'm at a loss for words.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 29, 2007
Nothing wrong with kids using the bus.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 30, 2007
How about a Smart car?

bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jul 31, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:Children are in school at 3?!! And good lord it gets worse, you want to put a child that young on the back of a scooter?!
I'm at a loss for words.

How long have you been in Dubai? ;) Apparently it's "British/American curriculum" that makes 3 years old kid start to go for KG-1 (and Grade 1 at 5?). In my country, KG-1 starts at 4.
And my kid has been in school (nursery school) since 2 years old. Again, apparently it's standard here.

gtmash wrote:Nothing wrong with kids using the bus.

Yeah. I had no choice I guess. Let's see in Sept/Oct, otherwise I had to cancel my newly & hardly renewed apt and move there as close as possible to the school, which from what I asked not that much cheaper than in Bur Dubai. The property agents start to crank up the prices in Ghusais, knowing that there are many schools there and red line metro is coming up in 2009.

bonk wrote:How about a Smart car?

I fell in love with it already the first time when I lived in Paris years ago, until now. If I were single or no kids, I could've bought this. Or I had enough money to make it as second car. Unfortunately it doesn't come cheap (outside Europe). Do you know how much is it in Dubai?
Smart forfour is also cool.

xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 31, 2007
Smart is not officially sold here.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 31, 2007
They're groovy little cars, I used to love driving them.

However, still need a licence, insurance etc etc etc.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto