Mashreq
33%
Emirates/ME
17%
Dubai Islamic Bank (DIB)
No votes

Total votes : 6

Banks in the UAE Oct 27, 2005
Well I’ve finally accepted that I may be here for awhile, as such I’ve decided to open a bank account.

I searched some old posts and found that Emirates bank and HSBC seem to be the front runners, is this still the case? Any advice you can offer for someone opening an account here? If someone wanted to open a checking account for example is he obligated to deposit his salary into that account? I’d prefer to deal with a bank that has good online services as well.

Any banking horror stories you wish to share?

Thanks in advance,

fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Re: Banks in the UAE Oct 28, 2005
fayz wrote:Well I’ve finally accepted that I may be here for awhile, as such I’ve decided to open a bank account.

I searched some old posts and found that Emirates bank and HSBC seem to be the front runners, is this still the case? Any advice you can offer for someone opening an account here? If someone wanted to open a checking account for example is he obligated to deposit his salary into that account? I’d prefer to deal with a bank that has good online services as well.

Any banking horror stories you wish to share?

Thanks in advance,

Hey, I can say from my expereince that HSBC has some serious issues and not up to par with international branches. Emirates bank is ok. Mashreq bank is quite good actually and their online services are excellent. They also have extended branch hours till 430 pm which is a big plus compared to other banks that close at 1 pm or 3 pm max..

If you open a checking account you do not have to deposit your salary (that is the case with mashreq at least I think.. or you could just open a savings account). Mashreq also has a lower minimum balance for its accounts (2000 I believe) and if you go below this, you pay 40 AED per month. With HSBC for example, you minimum would be AED 5000 and if you go below you get charged AED 50 per month.

I think you would be happy with mashreq, havent had any issues with them. Good luck :)
jag
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 29, 2005
I've always been with HSBC, and never had any problems what-so-ever. If you get a status account which they charge 70Dhs a month to have you get extra benefits, like no minimum balance and a free transfer every month instead of having to pay the normal 50Dhs fee.

The online services are great, I never ever have to visit the branch for anything.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 29, 2005
Actually the way they handled their mastercard issues with all their customers here a year ago was pathetic and that incident alone made me lose any trust and respect in their services.. not the way business is done and no excuse for it..
jag
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 29, 2005
Never had a problem with my Mastercard or Visa with them.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 29, 2005
Chocoholic wrote:Never had a problem with my Mastercard or Visa with them.

Lucky you! :D
jag
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 30, 2005
I was originally with United Arab Bank, because the company made us get accounts with them to start - what a joke, it was like banknig in the dark ages. Couldn't do anything over the phone, no internet banking, had to go to the branch for everything, charges for everything incl using other banks ATM's. Left those idiots as soon as I could.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum