Highway Robbery And Salik.

Topic locked
Highway Robbery and Salik. Jun 24, 2007
As if Salik itself wasn't bad enough I read on gulf news yesterday that rental car companies were going to charge and "administrative fee" of 10% for each toll crossing.

I called my company today and they told me that they were going to charge 1 addtional dirham for each crossing (5 dhs per crossing!). I went ballistic and accused them of highway robbery and told them to come and pickup their damn car (25% increase for doing nothing!). Then they told me about an "option" (I deposit 500 dhs on an account and each toll is deducted at 4 dhs from the account). Had I not complained "loudly" they would be charging me 5 dhs for each crossing.

So if you are renting/leasing check with your company...

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 24, 2007
Which company? I have come across many dubious ones.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 25, 2007
That's really really bad.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 25, 2007
gtmash wrote:Which company? I have come across many dubious ones.

Rather not say but the article in Gulf News indicates they will all do it:

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/07 ... 34393.html
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 25, 2007
cu
M!
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 25, 2007
I've got another one of those "only in dubai" stories in connection with the car rental/salik stuff.

I tell my car company to send me the "application" for the deposit account by e-mail so that there is no problem later that I did not choose the option (and so they will charge me 5 dhs per toll). Well, although they have my e-mail on file they send me an SMS for me to send them the e-mail address. I replied by sending them the information via SMS. I called them today to say I did not get the e-mail and they said "that's because the SMS should have been sent to a different mobile number" (the one on the lease agreement)! Seriously. Can't make this stuff up...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 26, 2007
My friend has a car rental business in Sharjah and he's not gonna charge extra. But he was saying what a nightmare it's gonna be to try to keep track of the fines people run up.
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 28, 2007
sauron wrote:My friend has a car rental business in Sharjah and he's not gonna charge extra. But he was saying what a nightmare it's gonna be to try to keep track of the fines people run up.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/index.ph ... -&Itemid=0
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 29, 2007
With tomorrow being the last "Salik free" day in Dubai, it is really interesting to note that hardly anyone is yet to post the sticker on their vehicle. Watch out for the reversing cars on Sunday morning :wink:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat