Journalist's Salary

Topic locked
journalist's salary Apr 12, 2007
Here is a question for people working in the media world in Dubai.
I have been offered an interview for a job as a sub-editor with a newspaper in Dubai. Before the interview the paper wantys to know my salary expectations. I don't yet know the package that is on offer. Assuming that the company will NOT be paying for my accommodation in Dubai, what sort of salary should I be looking for to live comfortably in reented accomodation?
Tony

toshberg
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Apr 12, 2007
Be aware that that job will probably not be a lot of fun, because all of the articles you'll have to write will look like this:

'Sheik XXX met Sheik XXX', 'Sheik Y met Sheik Z', 'couple jailed for consentual s.e.x.', 'couple jailed for kissing in public', 'couple jailed for hugging in public', 'couple jailed for looking at each other in public' etc. etc. etc.
bschmidt
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 13, 2007
bschmidt wrote:Be aware that that job will probably not be a lot of fun, because all of the articles you'll have to write will look like this:

'Sheik XXX met Sheik XXX', 'Sheik Y met Sheik Z', 'couple jailed for consentual s.e.x.', 'couple jailed for kissing in public', 'couple jailed for hugging in public', 'couple jailed for looking at each other in public' etc. etc. etc.

And you forgot the "cut and paste" -97% of the paper from wire services.

Salaries are the most often asked question in here and the more difficult to answer. It is all very relative... My suggestion; read back on the many posts on this forum. You mispelled "wants" so they'll give you a low salary!

Good luck.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 17, 2007
That's awesome! Good catch Concord!
giggsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 17, 2007
It would be interesting to know which paper as they have pros and cons.

Many are heavily edited and are unable to freely write articles or say anything bad about the local Governments or leaders.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum