Qatar 2016 Olympics

Topic locked
Qatar 2016 Olympics Dec 13, 2006
Qatar have thrown down the gauntlet/jumped the gun/stolen Dubai's thunder, by announcing that they will bid for the 2016 Olympics.
They obviously don't expect to win because thay have also said that they will keep bidding until they eventually win.

It is more Dubai's style to bid when they know that they will win.

I belive that Dubai is better qualified to pull off an olympics and will be poised to bid in 2016/2020.

However, given that the olympics symbolise peace and unity, the bigger question is whether the middle east be ready for the olympics by then?

benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dec 13, 2006
Dubai will never host the Olympics, don't make me laugh.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 13, 2006
I am optimistic that Dubai can hold such historical event. 2020 is more feasible.

Mid East or any rich GCC countries in general should win an olympic bid. I think it is about time to bridge the gap amongst nations and be united in sports. :wink:

Give the arab world a chance after all they have all financial resources to cater such event. And it is about time that arab athletes shine in sports and make an olympic records.

If Dubai will win the bid it would mean more tourists and tolerance. :D
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 13, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Dubai will never host the Olympics, don't make me laugh.

I think you are wrong here Chocs, Dubai certainly will be looking to host the Olympics, and if anyone can do it, Dubia can.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 13, 2006
Yes, but sadly think of all the countries/nationalities that won't be welcome to take part. Until GCC countries are willing to open their arms to 'everyone' it's never going to happen.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 13, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Yes, but sadly think of all the countries/nationalities that won't be welcome to take part. Until GCC countries are willing to open their arms to 'everyone' it's never going to happen.

I think they will sort it out. Remember the IMF Conference???
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 13, 2006
Er yes, and what a tad of a farce that was.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 13, 2006
Wouldn't tensions be high between the Arab world and Israel being in the same city?

It's hard to put into words what I mean so I hope you understand!

Ross :D
rossbaku
Dubai Forums Talker

Dec 13, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Er yes, and what a tad of a farce that was.

Yes and no, but lots of so people that are supposed not to be welcome were here.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 13, 2006
Well that is provided they could even get into the country, now that would be an interesting concept.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 13, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Well that is provided they could even get into the country, now that would be an interesting concept.

It would be handled, this is a minor detail, it's the construction of Olympic Stadium etc etc etc
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 13, 2006
rossbaku wrote:Wouldn't tensions be high between the Arab world and Israel being in the same city?

It's hard to put into words what I mean so I hope you understand!

Ross :D

If they can live peacefully in their adopted country, why not play sports in a host country too. I'm talking about arabs & israelites migrants. :wink:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 14, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Dubai will never host the Olympics, don't make me laugh.

It isn't as funny as you think. All they have to do is pay someone else to organise it like everything else in Dubai. Most of the infastructure will already be in place by then.

The political situation will be the decider and this could easily morph into a political discussion, but anything could happen between now and then.
benwj

Dec 14, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Er yes, and what a tad of a farce that was.

It might have been a farce, but it was very well organised.

Maybe that was because they managed to keep all of the tree huggers behind an 8 foot steel mesh fence.
benwj

Dec 14, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Well that is provided they could even get into the country, now that would be an interesting concept.

It would be handled, this is a minor detail, it's the construction of Olympic Stadium etc etc etc

Yes it is a minor detail.
Unfortunately, this won't stop the bleeding hearts from making a big deal about it.

S&O, The Olympic Stadium is not a problem. 20,000 indian labours will have one built in no time.
benwj

Dec 14, 2006
dubai cant and will never host the olympics .. neither can the uae ever host the fifa world cup ... and the qatar asian games has been a really poor showin from the organiser ..

none of the arab persian gulf countries can ever host such an event ... damnn they cant even control traffic on a normal day .. how would it be like when u all of sudden have close to half a million ppl extra in the city ... lack of hotel's ... cause u know the majority of the ppl who go around the world followin there teams .. aint gonna afford to stay in any of these hotels dubai is puttin up .... i mean they mostly backpacker's .. and dubai or doha or any of the nations around here dnt cater to them ...

i mean thats just a tiny example of why they cant handle it .. an will never host it ...

everyone know's the reason's why they cant host it ... but either u pretendin to be blind an cant see it ... or u expecting too much of this place ... dubai has already reach'd its heights ...

and on the sporting side of it ... look at the stadiums in doha all empty .. and when the UAE national football team play'd Brazil ... a crowd of 1000 or 2000 ppl only went ... ppl here aint intrested that much .. they would rather sit at a coffee shop with sheesha in hand an watch tv ..
Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

Dec 14, 2006
Then it would be a challenge for organizers to market the event. I think it is really possible considering the government of dubai is marketing its city as open and a place of tolerance.

Of course, it needs more master planning to make it happen. If so, 2020 is feasible. :wink:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 15, 2006
Olympics in the summer heat? You must be having a laugh
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 15, 2006
benwj wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Unfortunately, this won't stop the bleeding hearts from making a big deal about it.

S&O, The Olympic Stadium is not a problem. 20,000 indian labours will have one built in no time.

For which they will be paid
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 15, 2006
liverpool4ever wrote:Olympics in the summer heat? You must be having a laugh

It's a good point, but I suspect they would move it to October time (that's about as late as they could hold it). That was the time of year they held it in Australia on the two occasions it has been down under (as of course July/August is their winter!).
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 15, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
benwj wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

How much? It's tax-free so it must be a lot.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 15, 2006
the_zooter wrote:

It's a good point, but I suspect they would move it to October time (that's about as late as they could hold it). That was the time of year they held it in Australia on the two occasions it has been down under (as of course July/August is their winter!).

Well, if the weather conditions remain as they are now, it will stll be quite hot in October, and for the 2000 olympics in Sydney:
Opening ceremony September 15, 2000
Closing ceremony October 1, 2000
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 15, 2006
gtmash wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
benwj wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

How much? It's tax-free so it must be a lot.

Its relative, which is the point.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 15, 2006

LOL. If Dubai has 12 months summer a year, then it's impossible for outdoor games and to be the host of olympics.

Think again. :wink:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 15, 2006
asc_26 wrote:

LOL. If Dubai has 12 months summer a year, then it's impossible for outdoor games and to be the host of olympics.

Unless they build everything indoors! Imagine having a marathon in an air-conditioned stadium instead of being out in ths streets! Who knows, maybe they will build a mall just for that and call it the Olympic Dome or something
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 15, 2006
asc_26 wrote:

October / November would be fine for Olympics
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 15, 2006
liverpool4ever wrote:
the_zooter wrote:

Well, if the weather conditions remain as they are now, it will stll be quite hot in October, and for the 2000 olympics in Sydney:

I'm going to start calling you Statto!!
Many sports could be held indoors I guess. As for the marathon - well I'd imagine they could run it very early in the morning, like they did in Athens 2 years ago.
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 15, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
asc_26 wrote:

October / November would be fine for Olympics

Isn't that a bit too late for the Olympics? I mean there are sports with leagues, contracts, legal aspects, etc. that will have to be changed... Anyway, we will see... Dubai HAS the financial resources and marketing potential to stage a huge bid, but I still doubt it would take place...
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 15, 2006
the_zooter wrote:
liverpool4ever wrote:
the_zooter wrote:

I'm going to start calling you Statto!!
Many sports could be held indoors I guess. As for the marathon - well I'd imagine they could run it very early in the morning, like they did in Athens 2 years ago.

LOL! Call me whatever you want to call me mate =p
Good idea... Anyway, Dubai is not the type of Olympic city, at least not yet, no infrastructure (I can imagine a road with two-lanes similar to the ones in the Springs/Marina area) to lead to the stadium, having the olympic village where everyone will be staying on the other side of town and without any proper connections to the metro or the stadiums/venues, hardly any hostels and affordable accommodation for budget travellers...

Also, imagine if some mixed groups or unmarried couples ventured into Sharjah or Ajman trying to find accommodation, and thinking that those two cities are as liberal as Dubai, the courts will be filled for years with cases of public indecency and such! Heh, the whole concept just doesn't click in my head... I know I will probably be proven wrong at some point in this thread, but in reality? Never ;)
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 15, 2006
liverpool4ever wrote:LOL! Call me whatever you want to call me mate =p
Good idea... Anyway, Dubai is not the type of Olympic city, at least not yet, no infrastructure (I can imagine a road with two-lanes similar to the ones in the Springs/Marina area) to lead to the stadium, having the olympic village where everyone will be staying on the other side of town and without any proper connections to the metro or the stadiums/venues, hardly any hostels and affordable accommodation for budget travellers...

Also, imagine if some mixed groups or unmarried couples ventured into Sharjah or Ajman trying to find accommodation, and thinking that those two cities are as liberal as Dubai, the courts will be filled for years with cases of public indecency and such! Heh, the whole concept just doesn't click in my head... I know I will probably be proven wrong at some point in this thread, but in reality? Never ;)

Some excellent points mate - though I expected nothing less!!
There are many laws/rules that would have to be adjusted, not just in Dubai, but in the UAE as a whole. For instance, it would be a requirement of the IOC that any member country and it's supporters be allowed free movement in and out of Dubai (within reason), so that of course means Israeli citizens.
Personally, 2016 would be too much for them - if they really want to bid, they should say now that they are going to seriously bid for 2020 and that they will put an infastructure in place, regardless of whether they win the bid or not.
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat