Apocalypto

Topic locked
Apocalypto Dec 13, 2006
The new movie directed by Mel Gibson 'Apocalypto', is absolutely stunning. Brillant story, amazing cinematography, great performances from the cast.

The dialogue is in ancient Mayan, with subtitles. But to be honest you don't need to read them as you can work out the story from the imagery.

The film is a tad on the blood thirsty side, hence it's 18 certificate. But it's well worth a watch, one of those little (or long) gems that comes out every now and again.

Mel Gibson has done a fantastic job.

Loved it.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Apocolypto Dec 13, 2006
[quote="Chocoholic"]
The dialogue is in ancient Mayan, with subtitles. But to be honest you don't need to read them as you can work out the story from the imagery.
quote]

i liked that, when i watch a french movie for example, i love seeing the image and imagine the conversation and when it's right and they do what i expect it feels so GOOD!
Rami
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 13, 2006
Will have to watch out for this then! I should give a ring to my Chinese friend. Tnx chocs :wink:
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dec 13, 2006
btw, it's Apocalypto
Rami
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 13, 2006
its out in theatres ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 13, 2006
Not yet, I got one of my sneaky peeks :wink:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 13, 2006
aaah the life of a very important person :P
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 17, 2006
Hmm watched the movie yesterday and I am not too satisfied with what I've seen... I used to be extremely curious about Mayas and did quite some research on the subject back when I was a kid so I was pretty excited when I read about Apocalypto's plot. BUT I was a lil weary when I read that it was Mel Gibson who was directing it...

Anyway I would've loved to see more mystical stuff, more about the Mayan society, government... The movie was just another blockbuster... Decent but not more...
Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dec 17, 2006
awsome movie. if u luv blood and watching ppls heads chopped off then u should definitely watch it. nah just joking its all hanky panky seriously no blood nothing :p
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 18, 2006
I heard is good also a bit bloody - so was the passion of christ. Saw interview with Mel Gibson about it.

The mayans are a fascinating civilization/story. I've been lucky to visit many of their ruins [see "ideal" job thread :wink: ]
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 19, 2006
amazing thrilling movie!
Legendkiller
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 21, 2006
im going to watch it tomoro! ..yey! :D
d3vilish_ang3l_88
Dubai chat master

Dec 21, 2006
d3vilish_ang3l_88 wrote:im going to watch it tomoro! ..yey! :D

hmmm u wont like it cos when i went to watch it loads of local ppl stood up n got out of the cinema. i think they were offended by seeing ppl naked.
unless angel thats ur thing then u ll love da movie :D ur devilish then u ll love it lets see :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 21, 2006
d3vilish_ang3l_88 wrote:im going to watch it tomoro! ..yey! :D

hmmm u wont like it cos when i went to watch it loads of local ppl stood up n got out of the cinema. i think they were offended by seeing ppl naked.
unless angel thats ur thing then u ll love da movie :D ur devilish then u ll love it lets see :D

if u want i can tell u wot happens n u can save ur 25-30 dhs n 2-3 hours of ur time :D wot says u want me to tell u wot happens :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 21, 2006
I'm off to see it this weekend. One of the movies I have been looking forward to seeing.

no rudeboy, I really, really do not want to read what happens, so stop being a jerk.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 21, 2006
yorky500 wrote:I'm off to see it this weekend. One of the movies I have been looking forward to seeing.

no rudeboy, I really, really do not want to read what happens, so stop being a jerk.

hahaha :D

since u called me JERK i ll have to tell u wot happens. ok i ll do this how about u say sorry n i wont tell u wot happens ;) remember if u dont i just come out with it :D think about it ;)
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 21, 2006
how about i don't read this thread anymore, then you can type what the hell you like, cos I won't read it! :roll:
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 21, 2006
yorky500 wrote:how about i don't read this thread anymore, then you can type what the hell you like, cos I won't read it! :roll:

its up to U :D but ur finGer will be ITCHING to click on this post cos u ll see my name against it. i ll give u an hour to come up with a sorry. :D am going for lunch n when i come back i expect a sorry on my desk :D

u got an hour use it wisely oh yorky master cos it might ruin ur weekend
muhahahaah
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 21, 2006
Oi! Stop hijacking this thread. Please keep in on topic.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 21, 2006
oye back to we are talking about apocolypse :D we talking about lil indians but nakked running around da jungle chopping each others body parts cos they couldnt fit them in a condom. LIKE DUH we talkin about apocolypse
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 24, 2006
Well, went to see movie yesterday. Not a bad subject but would loved to have seen a bit more about the culture and stuff like that. Pretty similar to Braveheart and "the Gibson yank movie".

Good entertaining stuff, lots of blood and gore = awesome, women were fit and attractive (exscept for their teeth) and lots of action.

More history would have been good though.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 06, 2007
I think the movie was great. why?

It imerses you in their tribal world.shows you their brutality, their compasion, their sense of being, sense of right and wrong...it shows you that they are people...human...and then in the end...it shows you the otherside....people who have just landed...people who have not seen what we have seen. And thats where trouble begins!

a great take on colonialism!

has anyone seen that old De Niro movie..."The Mission"...watch it...it will put things in prespective.
cyrix
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 12, 2007
great movie...there is a documentary made by National Geographic which was considered as a prelude to that movie...i advice anyone wants to get the full experience of that movie to watch this documentary
Akj689
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Movies and Music TalkForum Rules

Return to Movies and Music Talk