Superstitious Beliefs In The Koran

Topic locked
Superstitious beliefs in the Koran Aug 27, 2011
The Koran contains some exceedingly violent verses, including this one:

When thy Lord was revealing to the angels, 'I am with you; so confirm the believers. I shall cast into the unbelievers' hearts terror; so smite above the necks, and smite every finger of them!'

Koran 8:12

However, one often hears the argument that the Muslims believe the Koran is logical and passes the needs of believers.

That said, it would be interesting to see whether the passages that appear to be superstitious described below are denied by the Muslim posters here. I somehow doubt it.

They said, 'Moses, wilt thou cast, or shall we be the casters?'

He said, 'You cast.' And when they cast they put a Spell upon the people's eyes, and called forth fear of them, and produced a mighty sorcery.

And We revealed to Moses: 'Cast thy staff!' And lo, it forthwith swallowed up their lying invention.

Koran 7:115-117

Were the ancient peoples capable of casting Magic spells? The Koran says they were and that Moses dabbled in Magic to counter that of his opponents.

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Superstitious Beliefs In The Koran Aug 27, 2011
hey EH,

Quran 8:61
And if they incline to peace, then incline to it [also] and rely upon Allah . Indeed, it is He who is the Hearing, the Knowing.

can you please check about the 7:115 to 117!

7:115
They said, "O Moses, either you throw [your staff], or we will be the ones to throw [first]."

7:116
He said, "Throw," and when they threw, they bewitched the eyes of the people and struck terror into them, and they presented a great [feat of] magic.

7:117
And We inspired to Moses, "Throw your staff," and at once it devoured what they were falsifying.

In Islam there is something called "reasons for Ayat" in another words the timing and the instance or reason, I wish someone here can explain it more than me.
or you go complete your work and google it.
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Mahmoud don't waste your time with our grand mufti arm chair mullah EH here. He knows more about the Quran and Islam than any muslim alive today. Although he has never read it himself. ;)
desertdudeshj

Yes, the young one is reeling from the exposure of his illogical beliefs from the Bible:

shafique wrote:
Please don't tell me eh is bringing up his straw man AGAIN. He failed to show I believe in superstitions in the past (he's pretty used to failing).

By contrast we have many examples of eh's own evasions on some Biblical events (Biblical beliefs he hasn't condemned and which his fellow American Christians believe in literally):

1. Talking donkeys (not to be confused with the loons aka 'talking a$$s' :D ):
philosophy-dubai/talking-donkeys-bible-evasion-t42810.html

2. Earth can stop revolving for a day (and the Bible and Science generally):
philosophy-dubai/talking-donkeys-bible-evasion-t42810.html

3. Eh's belief in Rapture (where he will magically disappear one day):
philosophy-dubai/rapture-day-t46391.html
philosophy-dubai/rapture-t39043.html

So, whilst I'm still waiting for any illogical beliefs within Islam (rather than some Muslims with superstitious beliefs/interpretations), perhaps eh can shed light on his own un-scientific beliefs.

dubai-chat/whites-have-become-black-t47129-75.html

He can run, but he can't hide. No wonder he's feeling so frustrated. :D

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Superstitious beliefs in the Koran Aug 27, 2011
In Islam there is something called "reasons for Ayat" in another words the timing and the instance or reason, I wish someone here can explain it more than me.

So do you believe in Black Magic?

Do you believe the Egyptians were able to turn staffs into serpents or perform other magical practices the Koran says they did?
event horizon

^eh, why the evasion.

You're the one who believes literally in things that are un-scientific. Talking donkeys, and the sun stopping the sky for example.

If you read the Quranic account of Moses and the magicians in full, and then compare it with the Biblical account?

Exodus 7:10
So Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and did just as the LORD commanded. Aaron threw his staff down in front of Pharaoh and his officials, and it became a snake.

and

Exodus 4:3
The LORD said, "Throw it on the ground." Moses threw it on the ground and it became a snake, and he ran from it.

Do you NOT believe this Biblical account? If you do, does that make you superstitious?

You've so far failed in your attempt to show that your beliefs are shared by rational Muslims. Failure upon failure.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Superstitious beliefs in the Koran Aug 27, 2011
I kind feel it DDS :) but he helps me doing researches and understand more, been reading a bit of Torah as well, interesting to find out more.

event horizon wrote:

So do you believe in Black Magic?

Do you believe the Egyptians were able to turn staffs into serpents or perform other magical practices the Koran says they did?

I am not sure why you quote my post and asked about black magic! can't see the relation!
I know a bit about black magic, but not much, and I know that 1/3 of the Quran is about Moses (PBUH) and his followers.

20:66
He said, "Rather, you throw." And suddenly their ropes and staffs seemed to him from their magic that they were moving [like snakes].

and this link is the full story
http://quran.com/20
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Re: Superstitious Beliefs In The Koran Aug 28, 2011
With all my sincere respect to all holy books Torah and Injeel (Bible), but they all collapse to the beauty of the Quranic verses. For those who understand the classic Arabic language would surely understand what I'm talking about. Its not a poem, nor a song. The grammer is literally perfect, and the expressions are just so tempting that you would want to read it again and again.

My favorite part of it is Surat Al Isra', when God discusses the 10 commands to Beni Israel, and the story of when Quraysh challenged prophet Mohammad to prove that he's a messenger of God, and the story of virgo Maryam and her son, prophet Essa (Jesus). Even Arab Christians can't resis the beauty of the Quranic verses.
symmetric
BANNED

My favourite would be Sura Rahman, although I am not a proficient Arabic speaker, far from it, but just the way it sounds and Sura Ikhlas, one of the smallest and the absolute defenition of God.
desertdudeshj

Re: Superstitious beliefs in the Koran Aug 28, 2011
^I agree about Sura Rahman - it has a melodic quality and the repeated verse acts like a chorus. The meaning is sublime - it satisfies the ear, heart and soul -AND the intellect.

(I prefer a slightly slower recitation.. such as the following, but the above has the translation as well:

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Koran 113:1;4
Say: 'I take refuge with the Lord of the Daybreak
from the evil of the women who blow on knots,

So anyone else take refuge from women blowing on knots?
event horizon

:roll:

Young one, now what did I tell you about using Google and checking out what they tell you at Bible camp. Really! Did you even bother to look up what Ch 113 actually says?

Just admit it, you're embarrassed about your belief in talking donkeys, aren't you?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

event horizon wrote:
Koran 113:1;4
Say: 'I take refuge with the Lord of the Daybreak
from the evil of the women who blow on knots,

So anyone else take refuge from women blowing on knots?

EH, I corrected you once before, and gave you a link, but you seem to insist on doing the same mistake again and again, why?
if you will bring quote about anything you must use a trusted source, so when talking about religions, whether you believe in it or not, you must do a good search and be aware of what your are posting.

here is 113
http://quran.com/113

regards.
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Thanks, to me, the verse seems to be acknowledging the existence of magic. If you have any other interpretation of the verse then please let me know and we can look at what the chapter and verse say about magic existing.
event horizon

Spare us your fantastical interpretations eh. Aren't you even mildly embarrassed you can't cut and paste proper quotes from the Quran?

Now, back to your superstitions:

So Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and did just as the LORD commanded. Aaron threw his staff down in front of Pharaoh and his officials, and it became a snake.

and

The LORD said, "Throw it on the ground." Moses threw it on the ground and it became a snake, and he ran from it.

Do you NOT believe this Biblical account? If you do, does that make you superstitious?

You've so far failed in your attempt to show that your beliefs are shared by rational Muslims. Failure upon failure.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Superstitious beliefs in the Koran Aug 29, 2011
event horizon wrote:Thanks, to me, the verse seems to be acknowledging the existence of magic. If you have any other interpretation of the verse then please let me know and we can look at what the chapter and verse say about magic existing.

I don't like treating ppl as they are sick, but normally you should apologize for the number of crap posts in which you were copying wrong phrases and talking nonsense. or join a religious forum, good idea ha!

about magic, I am not an expert, but I know it exist and it is not denied in Islam, so is envy...
2:102
And they followed [instead] what the devils had recited during the reign of Solomon. It was not Solomon who disbelieved, but the devils disbelieved, teaching people magic and that which was revealed to the two angels at Babylon, Harut and Marut. But the two angels do not teach anyone unless they say, "We are a trial, so do not disbelieve [by practicing magic]." And [yet] they learn from them that by which they cause separation between a man and his wife. But they do not harm anyone through it except by permission of Allah . And the people learn what harms them and does not benefit them. But the Children of Israel certainly knew that whoever purchased the magic would not have in the Hereafter any share. And wretched is that for which they sold themselves, if they only knew.

by the way your post level are hitting so low level, so work harder..
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Re: Superstitious beliefs in the Koran Aug 29, 2011
I agree with you that the Koran does acknowledge the existence of magic.

We'll wait for others to provide their own explanation for whether believing in the existence of magic is a rational belief.
event horizon

Re: Superstitious Beliefs In The Koran Aug 29, 2011
shafique wrote:Spare us your fantastical interpretations eh. Aren't you even mildly embarrassed you can't cut and paste proper quotes from the Quran?

Now, back to your superstitions:

and

Cheers,
Shafique

Was the question difficult eh?

Let's expand that to include - 'Does the Bible contain verses showing the existence of magic? If yes, does that mean that Christians believe in superstition?'

(BTW - I am a magician myself and a collector of early magic books and props. I've done a few shows in my time, but am more of a collector now - and just do the occasional sleight of hand for the kids.)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I have known Muslims who take magic very seriously, particularly when I was in South East Asia. Some believed that performing magicians were in league with the devil.

When I came to Dubai I was surprised to see a magician performing in a shopping mall. I guess they are ok with that here.
blueshift
Dubai forums Addict

I know blueshift - I've had many an interesting conversation with Muslims (and even one or two non-Muslims) who were convinced that David Copperfield (for example) had control over 'Jinns'!!

Indeed, it was my curiosity to see whether there was really anything behind mentalism etc that got me interested in magic in the first place.. and it ended up being quite an enjoyable hobby and I got to meet quite a number of magicians. I was even considering auditioning for the Magic Circle before we left the UK for Dubai.

No doubt, there are indeed some Muslims that are superstitious - but no more than any other community, I find.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sir Authur Conan Doyle believed Houdini had the power to dematerialise and materialise at will as that was the only logical expliantion he had at the time of how Harry Houdini could do his escape tricks.

I'm sort of becomming very intrested in magic as well. Specially after I discovered how most of teh major magic acts were done, so its real fun to watch something new and try to figure that one out.

And Shaf if you haven't. Watch this program called Fool Us. Its stars Penn &Teller and hosted by lispy Jonathan Ross.

And Blue Shift what you are most probably talking about is Black Magic. I guess it would be the Subcontinetal equivalent of African and Caribbean Voodo.
desertdudeshj

^DDS - by coincidence, I've just finished downloading yesterdays (?) episode and will watch tonight!

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

desertdudeshj wrote:And Blue Shift what you are most probably talking about is Black Magic. I guess it would be the Subcontinetal equivalent of African and Caribbean Voodo.

Yeah, there are mystics in every corner of the Subcontinent who are offering all kinds of supernatural services.

But even in this enlightened age, pulling a white rabbit out of a top hat will convince some people that you are in league with the Devil.
blueshift
Dubai forums Addict

Talking about MaGiC .. In our region, the city of Nazwa in Oman is very well known for its magicians and all the creepy stories of how they turn people to animals and how they can fly in the sky and etc.

DDS, I'm sure you heard of all these :D

In religion, dealing with such kind of horrible magic is a big sin and those who deal with it are strongly/strictly rejected by Islam.
symmetric
BANNED

symmetric wrote:Talking about MaGiC .. In our region, the city of Nazwa in Oman is very well known for its magicians and all the creepy stories of how they turn people to animals and how they can fly in the sky and etc.

DDS, I'm sure you heard of all these :D

In religion, dealing with such kind of horrible magic is a big sin and those who deal with it are strongly/strictly rejected by Islam.

Yes Nizwa, I've heard some serious stories from there. They also say Samri is buried there. Pretty spooky stuff to say the least. Not to mention some stories from Hatta and Ras Al Khaimah, specially Wadi Bih !
desertdudeshj

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums