Should We Fear God?

Topic locked
Should We Fear God? Nov 01, 2010
The Quran says that 'fear of God's displeasure' should indeed be part of a believer's outlook of life. This is not to say that the motivation is not out of love - a desire to win the pleasure of God, but rather the other side of the same coin.

I think this is a concept that is common to Judaism, Christianity and Islam. All talk about winning God's love and also about avoiding his displeasure.

The concept in Islam is 'Taqwa' which can be loosely translated as 'fear of God's displeasure' but more accurately as 'God conciousness' - living one's life concious of God's commandments and positively, wanting to act to please him and actively avoid 'sins' - where sins are actions which would displease God, because they harm oneself or others.

Wiki defines it as:
Taqwa, as holistically elucidated by Quranic verses, is defined as the state of "being conscious of Allah", and willfully avoiding actions that lead the degeneration of this consciousness; while consciously undertaking steps and actions that will strenghten it."

This 'fear of God' has some negative connotations. But I think it is analogous to the fear of the law (state law) when it comes to crimes against others, say. Some people will not want to rob others because they realise it does harm and is bad. Others will be inclined to rob, but will be restrained for fear of being caught and punished by the police.

I therefore don't view it as negative.

What is interesting is that the concept of the Fear of God also appears in the Bible. Indeed, Jesus taught this according to the Gospel of Luke:
12:5 But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

To me, Jesus is clearly talking about fearing a God that has the power to cast a sinner into hell.

Jesus appears to be saying the same thing in Matthew:
Matthew 10:28:
"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

And it appears that some Christians do view these verses as talking about a healthy fear of God.
The one who has such power is God, for there is none other (i.e. the devil) who has true power over the eternal condition of man. So we have in these passages a commandment toward the healthy 'fear' of God - i.e., that same respect and awe that we are enjoined to embrace in the Sunday of the Last Judgement.

http://www.monachos.net/forum/showthrea ... y-and-soul

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Should We Fear God? Nov 01, 2010
Did you get a five year old to write this?

Reader's digest: 'I believe we should behave morally because God watches our every move and we should do good to please God. I don't think we should carry out actions that would make God angry, but I see nothing wrong with doing good only for the rewards and avoiding punishment.

In other words, if someone lost their wallet, we should return their wallet because we might get rewarded but also because God would punish us if we don't.

I'll justify my motivation on doing good on some nonsense of the state and thieves and then finally quote two passages from the New Testament.'
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Should We Fear God? Nov 01, 2010
This post was about an issue that Christians and Muslims have in common -so is it really necessary to manufacture points of contention?

I'm pleased you read it - but did you stop before you read Jesus' words about fearing God?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums