Palestinian Drowns Saving Israelis

Topic locked
Palestinian drowns saving Israelis Aug 22, 2006
A tragic story. However it at least reinstates the faith that there are people out there that will risk life and limb for another 'human-being' and look beyond race, colour or religion.

http://www.7days.ae/2006/08/22/beach-hero-drowns.html

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 22, 2006
Thanks for linking Chocs. It brings out a point that bears repeating that we are all human beings and share a common humanity.

It's not surprising either, given that the communities peacefully coexisted and welcomed new immigrants for over a millenia before the State of Israel was formed, and even after it was formed, many Jews objected to the tactics of displacing Palestinians and the destruction of their villages.

Similarly even in the darkest days of Apartheid, there were white voices speaking out agains the injustices.

Bottom line - despite injustices, people can be humane.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 23, 2006
Al Humdullilah
poppy
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2006
In darkness there is always some light similarly a community cant b completely bad
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 23, 2006
does that means that peace might have a chance after all?? cos people react to their humanity after all ...its the freakin goverments that cause all the hatred :evil:
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 23, 2006
Yep corcs' positive!!! Though it will take some time before peace creeps in. I mean I believe people is good in nature. And its too exhausting to be bad all the time :lol:
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 23, 2006
Before we all get too gushy and hippy - human nature is such that we have always needed laws to stop people from misbehaving and hurting others. My view is that we always will.

Given that governments are made up of people, self interest will always provide the temptation to do ill to others.

That is the reason why we need laws and law enforcers both at the local, national and international stages.

Therefore whilst almost everyone in the world would rush forward and try and save a toddler from falling into a well, if this was in front of us, the death of thousands of toddlers in Darfur, Iraq before the war because of sanctions etc etc goes in one ear and out the other.

It is a frighteningly small step to take to go from seeing a people as humans to an enemy that it is justified to oppress. Frighteningly it's an even smaller step to turn a blind eye to phyiscal suffering and killings of 'the enemy'.

Realism is a bummer.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 24, 2006
zam wrote:Yep corcs' positive!!! Though it will take some time before peace creeps in. I mean I believe people is good in nature. And its too exhausting to be bad all the time :lol:

i am afraid there wont
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums