Eh's Challenge About Jihad

Topic locked
eh's challenge about Jihad Sep 05, 2010
This was moved from the Politics section from the thread about Pamela Geller walking out of an interview with Jewish Week when challenged over her views (and asked for evidence):

event horizon wrote:I accept your challenge.

Let's start with a few classical scholars:

Ibn Abi Zayd al—Qayrawani (d. 996), Maliki jurist [11]

Jihad is a precept of Divine institution. Its performance by certain individuals may dispense others from it. We Malikis [one of the four schools of Muslim jurisprudence] maintain that it is preferable not to begin hostilities with the enemy before having invited the latter to embrace the religion of Allah except where the enemy attacks first. They have the alternative of either converting to Islam or paying the poll tax (jizya), short of which war will be declared against them.

Ibn Taymiyya (d. 1328), Hanbali jurist [12]

Since lawful warfare is essentially jihad and since its aim is that the religion is God's entirely and God's word is uppermost, therefore according to all Muslims, those who stand in the way of this aim must be fought. As for those who cannot offer resistance or cannot fight, such as women, children, monks, old people, the blind, handicapped and their likes, they shall not be killed unless they actually fight with words (e.g. by propaganda) and acts (e.g. by spying or otherwise assisting in the warfare).

From (primarily) the Hanafi school (as given in the Hidayah of Shaikh Burhanuddin Ali of Marghinan, d. 1196) [13]

It is not lawful to make war upon any people who have never before been called to the faith, without previously requiring them to embrace it, because the Prophet so instructed his commanders, directing them to call the infidels to the faith, and also because the people will hence perceive that they are attacked for the sake of religion, and not for the sake of taking their property, or making slaves of their children, and on this consideration it is possible that they may be induced to agree to the call, in order to save themselves from the troubles of war... If the infidels, upon receiving the call, neither consent to it nor agree to pay capitation tax, it is then incumbent on the Muslims to call upon God for assistance, and to make war upon them, because God is the assistant of those who serve Him, and the destroyer of His enemies, the infidels, and it is necessary to implore His aid upon every occasion; the Prophet, moreover, commands us so to do.

al—Mawardi (d. 1058 ), Shafi'i jurist [14]

...The mushrikun [infidels] of Dar al—Harb (the arena of battle) are of two types: First, those whom the call of Islam has reached, but they have refused it and have taken up arms. The amir of the army has the option of fighting them...in accordance with what he judges to be in the best interest of the Muslims and most harmful to the mushrikun... Second, those whom the invitation to Islam has not reached, although such persons are few nowadays since Allah has made manifest the call of his Messenger...it is forbidden to...begin an attack before explaining the invitation to Islam to them, informing them of the miracles of the Prophet and making plain the proofs so as to encourage acceptance on their part; if they still refuse to accept after this, war is waged against them and they are treated as those whom the call has reached...

Ibn Khaldun (d. 1406), jurist (Maliki), renowned philosopher, historian, and sociologist, summarized these consensus opinions from five centuries of prior Sunni Muslim jurisprudence with regard to the uniquely Islamic institution of jihad: [15]

In the Muslim community, the holy war is a religious duty, because of the universalism of the [Muslim] mission and [the obligation to] convert everybody to Islam either by persuasion or by force... The other religious groups did not have a universal mission, and the holy war was not a religious duty for them, save only for purposes of defense... Islam is under obligation to gain power over other nations.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2005/05/ ... des_1.html

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Eh's Challenge About Jihad Sep 05, 2010
This is a classic example of loon reasoning - relying on selective quotes and loon interpretations.

There is indeed a concept of just war in Islam.

Jihad, the lesser jihad, does indeed signify using military means to establish order and fight injustice. The greater Jihad is self-improvement, fighting against one's own bad thoughts/intentions and purifying one's soul.

When there is a need for a just war, then there is indeed an obligation for a Muslim state to act.

So, the question becomes - does the quotes given by Bostom quoted above represent a reality (which loons say is true) that all Muslims are obligated by Islam to fight non-Muslims and get them to convert etc. If it were true, then we'd not be able to find an argument or examples that nullifies this interpretation.

So, let's see what we can find:

The Quran is quite clear, though, that there is no compulsion in religion and that there is no conversion by force allowed. It is also quite clear that fighting is not allowed against those of other religions just because they happen to be non-Muslim. This is not just a theory in the Quran, but a historical fact in that the non-Muslim state of Abyssinia (Ethiopia) was ruled by a Christian Negus and never was attacked by the Holy Prophet, pbuh.

Loons will argue that the Quran is eternal and infallible (it is) and therefore can't be superseded by an interpretation or errant practice/example. Then they will contradict themselves and say that Abyssinia was not attacked by the Prophet, pbuh, because he made an exception and this was contradicting God's commandments in the Quran.

This is a silly and stupid argument - all serious scholars agree that Muhammad, pbuh, knew what the Quran instructed better than anyone else (and certainly any latter day loon-blogger who pontificates about Islam). Therefore if the Prophet, pbuh, gave explicit instructions not to attack the nearest Christian kingdom because the ruler was just (and this instruction was followed out), it is a silly argument to say that this demonstration that the Quran does NOT instruct Muslims to attack ALL non-Muslim lands is not valid.

Ergo, Bostom's argument that 'Islam is under obligation to gain power over other nations' falls at the first hurdle. Abyssinia.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: eh's challenge about Jihad Sep 05, 2010
*Sigh*

A lot of smoke and mirrors in your response - empty talking points and cookie cutter messages does not an argument make.

Ethiopia was attacked under the reign of the rightly guided caliphs - the reason prophet Muhammad did not attack Ethiopia, however, was because Ethiopia was under a special exemption from attack by Muhammad himself.

The fact that a hadith records this exception proves the militant mindset of the early Muslims - why would Muhammad tell his followers to not attack Ethiopia if the Muslims would not have otherwise thought Ethiopia was open season for attack ?

It's like saying: 'Don't rob that house because the owners were once kind to me' to try to prove that a group of thieves and their leader had no belief of robbing homes in general.

The argument is so weak it crumbles on its own.

does the quotes given by Bostom quoted above represent a reality (which loons say is true) that all Muslims are obligated by Islam to fight non-Muslims and get them to convert etc. If it were true, then we'd not be able to find an argument or examples that nullifies this interpretation.

I would call 14 centuries of Jihad warfare a reality.

The Quran is quite clear, though, that there is no compulsion in religion and that there is no conversion by force allowed. It is also quite clear that fighting is not allowed against those of other religions just because they happen to be non-Muslim.

9:29, 9:5, 8:39, 9:123, 9:73 - all call for Muslims to attack non-Muslims because they are unbelievers.

But that's beside the point. The devil can quote scripture and only fundamentalists proof text. The point is how Muslims interpreted the Koran on doctrines of holy war - where this discussion started when a Muslim doctor claimed that Islam had no concept of holy war.

I quoted five classical Muslim scholar heavyweights showing that Islam not only does call for holy war but that this holy war exists in an offensive nature to conquer the non-Muslim world and establish Shareea law over all non-Muslims.

This is not just a theory in the Quran, but a historical fact in that the non-Muslim state of Abyssinia (Ethiopia) was ruled by a Christian Negus and never was attacked by the Holy Prophet, pbuh.

What's interesting to note in your selective interpretation of history is that prophet Muhammad did wage unprovoked offensive war against the southern tribes of Arabia in what is today Yemen, both Christian and Pagan.

Then they will contradict themselves and say that Abyssinia was not attacked by the Prophet, pbuh, because he made an exception and this was contradicting God's commandments in the Quran.

I'm not sure how this is a loon argument. I think it's a loon defense and not a very convincing one either. Again, thieves, houses.....etc.
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Eh's Challenge About Jihad Sep 05, 2010
Thanks for confirming that Prophet, pbuh, did not attack Ethiopia. And it seems that as well as not having read the Quran in full, you haven't read many hadith either (you're probably relying on Spencer, aren't you?).

The Hadith are exactly accounts of the Prophet, pbuh, explaining and teaching about Islam and what is in the Quran. Hadith explain how to pray in detail, giving information that is not in the Quran, for example. So - whilst the verses about Jihad are quite clear in context, his explicit example of NOT attacking the nearest Christian country, which was not hostile, clarifies any loon misinterpretation about the verses dealing with just wars.

i.e. Spencer's theory has just been exposed as a loon fantasy interpretation of selective verses and Hadith.

Now, you just have to convince me that Spencer and Geller know more about Islam than the Prophet, pbuh - and convince me why their interpretation that ALL non-Muslim states should be attacked can stand up to the simple historical fact that the Christian Kingdom of Abyssinia was not attacked - because it was not a hostile country.

Cheers,
Shafique

PS

event horizon wrote:Ethiopia was attacked under the reign of the rightly guided caliphs

Can you give me some details of this attack - I wasn't aware that any of the first 4 Khalifas (the 'rightly guided caliphs') attacked Abyssinia/Ethiopia.
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: eh's challenge about Jihad Sep 05, 2010
So - whilst the verses about Jihad are quite clear in context, his explicit example of NOT attacking the nearest Christian country, which was not hostile, clarifies any loon misinterpretation about the verses dealing with just wars.

I'm sorry, but who's confused on hadith ?

The hadith in question was not an example of Muhammad telling his followers to not attack nations that were not hostile to the Muslims (the early Muslim conquests were completely hostile - Muhammad wrote letters to the local rulers to embrace Islam or face the consequences) - Muhammad made Ethiopia the exception because of the prior history Muhammad had with the king.

I can't stress enough how loony your argument is.

You can perform mental gymnastics all day long, but your example hurts your argument - that you are defending it raises serious questions of your mental faculties.

Again, it goes back to the thief telling his chums not to rob the blue house because of X. Nowhere could one conclude from the example that the thief was against robbing houses.

The exact opposite would be implied. Robbing homes was the accepted practice among the thieves and the thief cited a special exemption for one home that did not apply to any other and did not undermine the agenda of these thieves - to rob homes.

his explicit example of NOT attacking the nearest Christian country, which was not hostile

That Ethiopia was not hostile was a condition for saving it from future attack but it was not the reason why Muhammad declared Ethiopia off limits to Jihad.

Muhammad did not say to not attack Ethiopia because they were currently peaceful - his followers would have known that, I think.

Muhammad said to not attack Ethiopia for other reasons. That Muhammad needed to give a reason why peaceful Ethiopia would need to be spared *proves* my point.

Can you give me some details of this attack - I wasn't aware that any of the first 4 Khalifas (the 'rightly guided caliphs') attacked Abyssinia/Ethiopia.

Axumite Empire=Abyssinian empire

State of Makuria was part of the Axumite empire.

The Bakt (or Baqt) was a treaty between the Christian state of Makuria and the Muslim rulers of Egypt. Lasting almost seven hundred years it is by some measures the longest lasting treaty in history. The name comes either from the Egyptian's term for barter or the Greco-Roman term for pact.

Despite its longevity not much is clear about the bakt and almost all the information about it comes from Muslim sources. The Bakt was signed after the 651 Muslim invasion of Egypt. That year Abdallah ibn Abi Sarh led an army south against the Christian kingdoms of Nubia. Later Islamic historians state that Nubia was not worth conquering and the expedition was simply to subordinate the region to Egypt. Earlier sources give the more likely story that the Arab armies met a rare defeat at the Battle of Dongola and only acceded to the Bakt when they realized that the conquest of the region would be difficult. The treaty was negotiated between Abi Sarh and the Makurian King Qalidurat.

There is no extant copy of the treaty they signed, and the earliest copies are several centuries after the fact and are quite varied. The treaty might not have been written at all and may have just been an oral agreement. Some sections of the bakt are clear:

* the Arabs would not attack Nubia and the Nubians would not attack Egypt
* the citizens of the two nations would be allowed to freely trade and travel between the two states and would be guaranteed safe passage while in the other nation
* immigration to and settlement in the other nation's lands was forbidden
* fugitives were to be extradited as were escaped slaves
* the Nubians were responsible for maintaining a mosque for Muslim visitors and residents
* the Egyptians had no obligation to protect the Nubians from attacks by third parties

The most important provision was that 360 slaves per year were to be sent to Egypt. These slaves had to be of the highest quality with no old ones or children, they were to be a mix of male and female. In some reports an extra forty were due which were distributed among notables in Egypt.

Ibn Abd al-Hakam, one of the first historians to discuss the treaty, gives two different versions of the treaty. The first has only Nubia sending slaves north, thus symbolizing its subservience to Egypt. The second version adds an obligation of the Egyptians to also send goods south including wheat and lentils in exchange for the slaves, this would put the two nations on a more equal footing.

This treaty was unprecedented in the history of the Arab conquests, being more similar to the arrangements the Byzantine Empire sometimes made with its neighbours. It is also unmatched in that it largely blocked the spread of Islam and the Arabs for half a millennium. The Baqt caused some controversy among Islamic theologians as there was controversy over whether it violated the duty to expand the borders of Islam. Spaulding reports that the exchange of goods was a common diplomatic arrangement in Northeast Africa and the Nubians would have had long experience with such agreements.

The Bakt was not always without controversy and conflicts between the neighbours were not unheard of. In the 830s, Egypt plunged into civil war and King Zacharias III of Makuria halted payment of the Bakt. When Ibrahim gained firm control of Egypt he demanded resumption of the Bakt, and payment of arrears. Unable or unwilling to pay this large sum Zacharias sent his son and heir Georgios on a long journey to Baghdad in 835 to negotiate directly with the Caliph. This expedition was a great success and the arrears were canceled and the Bakt was altered so that it only had to be paid every three years.

The closest relations were during the Fatimid period in Egypt. The Shi'ite Fatimids had few allies in the Arab world and Nubia was an important ally. The slaves sent from Nubia made up the backbone of the Fatimid army. Relations were worse under the Ayyubids and very poor under the Mamelukes, with full scale war eventually breaking out. Even after Makuria collapsed in the thirteenth century the Egyptians continued to insist upon its payment by the Muslim successor kingdoms in the region. The Bakt finally ended in the mid-fourteenth century with the complete collapse of organized government in the region.

So, the sparing of Nubia/Abyssinia was for pragmatic reasons, not religious. The Muslims had earlier attempted to invade the region but were severely defeated and the Muslim rulers viewed the costs of sending an army to conquer the region as outweighing the benefits of a Muslim occupation.

The Muslims still had a source of slaves from the region from which they heavily exploited - it is unlawful to enslave dhimmis. And even though the Nubians/Ethiopians were spared the Jihad onslaught and subjugation of Islamic law (as per Koran 9:29), the Christian kingdoms were still required to pay Jizya to their Muslim masters in order for them to exist as an independent entity.
event horizon

Re: Eh's Challenge About Jihad Sep 06, 2010
Not even close, and certainly no cigar.

Abyssinia was indeed not attacked/conquered and the reason was that they weren't a hostile nation.

This blows the loon interpretation of Islam (one not shared by Muslims) that ALL non-Muslim nations should be attacked and subjugated, and supports the true Islamic teachings that just wars are allowed in Islam and the fantasy that Islam says all non-Muslims need to be attacked is only an orientalist discredited notion that Spencer and Geller have ressurected.

As I stated in my first reply - you on the one hand say that Islam can't be interpreted, is eternal etc - i.e. there can't be exceptions to Islamic teachings - but then find excuses to explain away the fact that the Prophet, pbuh, was clear that the peaceful Abyssinia should not be attacked (confirming what those who read the Quran in full states Islam teaches).

I therefore repeat, why should anyone with any integrity believe Spencer's theories of Islam vs what the Prophet, pbuh, taught and did?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: eh's challenge about Jihad Sep 06, 2010
The current argument seems to be diverging off into two separate threads:

1) Islam (not your interpretation of Islam) teaches offensive holy war - my quotes from classical Islamic scholars have not been addressed or refuted.

2) Whether or not the early Muslims launched offensive wars of aggression against non-Muslims based on the teachings of Muhammad.

Since you have not disputed the quotations from the five giants of Islamic law quoted above, I feel your denial of Robert Spencer's factual points regarding Islam to becoming increasingly desperate. I sense I may need to help you out in finding/refuting the quotes from the scholars quoted above - try claiming the quotes were mistranslations.

Abyssinia was indeed not attacked/conquered and the reason was that they weren't a hostile nation.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any evidence supporting your discredited belief.

The article I quoted was quite clear - Islam was halted following the failure of several Islamic incursions into the region prompting the Muslims to make a rare treaty of peace that was held for an incredibly extended period of time.

Honestly, your tendency at misinterpreting/misrepresenting the facts is especially apparent here - following what the article clearly says, no less.

How embarrassing that you can't actually address the quoted text but must fabricate your own version of events - just as you lied when you claimed 'Christian scholars' held a certain claim regarding Islam. When pressed on who these Christian scholars were, you only named one Christian scholar, apparently without explaining why you had previously claimed that more than one scholar held this view.

This blows the loon interpretation of Islam (one not shared by Muslims) that ALL non-Muslim nations should be attacked and subjugated

Please address the quotes at the top of this thread. They were Muslims and held that Islam was to attack non-Muslim nations for the purpose of spreading Islam.

and supports the true Islamic teachings that just wars are allowed in Islam and the fantasy that Islam says all non-Muslims need to be attacked is only an orientalist discredited notion that Spencer and Geller have ressurected.

Ok, quote a classical Muslim scholar who did not support offensive Jihad warfare for the purpose of spreading Islam. I'll ignore the fact that you have not addressed the fact that most classical Muslim scholars held views contrary to your opinions, yet you somehow still want to claim that offensive Jihad war is not a teaching of Islam.

Whose argument is being blown out of the water now ?

Prophet, pbuh, was clear that the peaceful Abyssinia should not be attacked

Yet the peaceful kingdoms were attacked by the rightly guided caliphs.

They weren't conquered for practical reasons.

You also haven't addressed what the actual hadith from Muhammad says - Ethiopia wasn't spared Islamic aggression because it was peaceful but for other reasons.

But again, your loon spin of history is quite fascinating. The early Muslims did launch offensive holy war against peaceful nations - that's how early Islam spread !
event horizon

I understand your frustration and desire to throw up more smoke and mirrors. However, I will be to the point.

Spencer has this loon theory (not shared by Muslims) that Islam is an aggressive ideology that mandates that ALL non-Muslim nations must be fought against and subjugated. This loon theory depends on deliberately misinterpreting selective readings of Quran, hadith and history.

However, this loon theory falls at the first hurdle and test. This is what the Holy Prophet, pbuh, taught and did towards the friendly Christian neighbouring country of Abysinnia. As established, this country was not invaded or attacked - and to make this extra clear, the Prophet, pbuh, explicitly forbade this from happening.

This action is 100% in line with the Islamic theology as understood by those who have actually read the whole Quran rather than snippets posted by loon bloggers.

Therefore the choice is whether to believe Spencer who has to say 'Islam is unchangeable and violent, except where Muhammad, pbuh, said it shouldn't be' vs the reality of 'Islam is a peaceful religion which mandates just wars when necessary, for purposes of justice and ultimately peace'.

Unfortunately for loons, history, exegesis and the reality of moderate muslims (who don't want to slaughter their non-muslim neighbours) is against them and their bizare views of Islam.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Thank you for your views, I think they have all been comprehensively addressed at least twice by now.

But this thread isn't on your opinion or my opinion on 'true' Islam (BTW, who's the one now telling other Muslims what they should believe ?).

A claim was made that offensive Jihad war is not a concept in Islam.

The quotes from the OP beg to differ.

Could you confirm if these quotes are genuine and if they are, will you concede that there is a belief of offensive Jihad warfare in Islam ?
event horizon

You're quite welcome.

I always enjoy how loon bloggers believe that they can speak to what Islam actually teaches and place their views above that of the Prophet, pbuh.

The choice is now clear, you haven't produced any new evidence for your views and haven't really addressed the simple fact that the Prophet, pbuh, actions in relation to Abysyinnia are in total agreement with Islamic theology, but contradicts the loon version of Islam.

The choice is therefore between the Prophet who brought the Quran, and a loon blogger who hasn't actually read the whole Quran. Far be it for me to say which one you should choose, but for me it is a clear choice.

As I said, should have new evidence that the Prophet, pbuh, was wrong and Spencer/Geller/you are right, then please present it.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I always enjoy how loon bloggers believe that they can speak to what Islam actually teaches and place their views above that of the Prophet, pbuh.

It is entertaining to hear loons speak of 'true' Islam.

The choice is now clear, you haven't produced any new evidence for your views and haven't really addressed the simple fact that the Prophet, pbuh, actions in relation to Abysyinnia are in total agreement with Islamic theology, but contradicts the loon version of Islam.

In all fairness, this thread is for you to address the quotes presented by those five classical Muslim scholars. Have you read them, if you have, then do you agree that a notion of offensive Jihad warfare is present in Islam ?

But it is interesting to hear you ignore the Muslim assault on the peaceful Ethiopian territories.

As for Muhammad and Abyssinia (ignoring your historical whitewashing of Muhammad attacking other peaceful peoples), what was the reason that you fail to mention gives Muhammad for not attacking Ethiopia ?

I mean, Muhammad gives the reason but it wasn't for the Ethiopians present peacefulness. The other Muslims would have known that Ethiopia was peaceful, so truly peaceful Muslims would not need to be told to not attack the region.

You would need to tell thieves not to steal, not honest citizens.

By your logic, law abiding citizens need to be told not to steal from the blue house because of X.

Don't think so, not a very convincing argument and yet you see nothing wrong with your 'logic'.

Incredible.

The choice is therefore between the Prophet who brought the Quran, and a loon blogger who hasn't actually read the whole Quran. Far be it for me to say which one you should choose, but for me it is a clear choice.

Totally agree. We should look at prophet Muhammad's conduct to see if he attacked peaceful tribes for the purpose of establishing the dominance of Islam. It would appear that the five classical Islamic scholars quoted above beat you to it, however.

As I said, should have new evidence that the Prophet, pbuh, was wrong and Spencer/Geller/you are right, then please present it.

Let's just start with the quotes posted in the OP. Do you acknowledge that quotes have been posted that were written by classical Islamic scholars ? If you do, then we can safely acknowledge that offensive holy war is a part of Islamic teachings.
event horizon

Re: Eh's Challenge About Jihad Sep 07, 2010
I understand that you keep wanting to divert attention away from the fact that your loon theory has now been comprehensively punked - the whole of your post above presented no new argument or information, and spectactularly failed to address the simple point addressed.

The offer is still open though:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: eh's challenge about Jihad Sep 07, 2010
You don't need to tell moral, upstanding citizens to *not* break into someone's home.

The only people that need to be told that are criminals.

You cite a hadith and wonder why no one finds your argument convincing.

I wonder why.

Further, why note quote the hadith so we as readers can see the actual reason Muhammad gives for not invading Ethiopia (which wasn't followed by the rightly guided caliphs anyway) ?
event horizon

So, that's a 'no I have no new evidence or arguments' then.

I await any new evidence and any, and I mean any, argument why anyone would believe Spencer's interpretation of the bits of the Quran he's read, over that of the Prophet, pbuh.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

We really aren't discussing Spencer's beliefs of the Koran.

The beliefs of Jihad warfare have been quoted up above and they contradict the claim that there is no concept of offensive holy war within Islam.

A look at Muhammad's life also reveals that Muhammad carried out offensive holy wars. Besides, the issue of Ethiopia is a moot point since Muhammad wasn't able to militarily expand very far outside of the Arabian peninsula.

What Muhammad's military exploits show is a self proclaimed prophet who instructed his followers to holy war regularly during the last years of his life, including the letters Muhammad sent to different local kingdoms demanding their conversion to Islam or a declaration of war if conversion was refused.

Good luck addressing the military career of prophet Muhammad. I won't bother responding to copy/paste apologetic lifted from missionary dot com sites.
event horizon

Yes, we are indeed discussing Spencer's interpretation of the selected verses he's read and what is the reality of Islam.

Specifically, we need to choose whether Spencer is right that ALL non-Muslims states should be attacked according to Islam, vs the practice of the Prophet, pbuh, clarified in practice and teaching.

If I could borrow a quote from 'Who's afraid of Sharia'
So the best thing to do is find out what Islam really is about. Talk to a Muslim in person. Read an introduction to Islam (try a fun one like mine). Read Loonwatch to read about the holes in the anti-Islamic rhetoric. Or take a look at the University of Georgia’s informational website on Islam, for some quick answers and further reading. If you read the anti-Islam fear-mongering websites, all you’ll learn will be tall tales.

http://www.uga.edu/islam/

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

You've just repeated your argument why YOU think Islam doesn't call for offensive Jihad warfare - and haven't addressed the point why Ibn Abi Zayd al—Qayrawani, Ibn Taymiyya, Shaikh Burhanuddin Ali, al—Mawardi, Ibn Khaldun, et al have reached a different conclusion from you.
event horizon

I have indeed just repeated my simple point - you are correct.

I really don't understand why you think Spencer's interpretation of selective quotes trumps the simple fact I laid out that punks his argument?

Why should we believe Spencer's interpretations of the verses he's read, over the actual practice of the Prophet, pbuh?

When you have any new evidence or argument that addresses this simple point, let me know. I know your faith in Spencer is strong, but that's not good enough for me. ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I'm still waiting for you to address the conclusions from Islamic scholars about the simple fact that these scholars have actually studied the Quran and concluded that Islam mandates holy war against non-believers.
event horizon

I've already commented on Spencer's selective quotes and loon interpretation - his views have been punked by the simple fact that the Prophet, pbuh, taught and practiced something that contradicts the loon interpretation.

Simple question eh, why should we believe a loon interpretation rather than what the Prophet, pbuh, actually taught. Why rely on a set of quotes you copied from a loon website and ignore the historical facts?

So the best thing to do is find out what Islam really is about. Talk to a Muslim in person. Read an introduction to Islam (try a fun one like mine). Read Loonwatch to read about the holes in the anti-Islamic rhetoric. Or take a look at the University of Georgia’s informational website on Islam, for some quick answers and further reading. If you read the anti-Islam fear-mongering websites, all you’ll learn will be tall tales.

Let me know what parts of the section on Jihad confuse you.

cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Let me know when you're ready to address the conclusions of the Muslim scholars quoted above.

I know bringing up Spencer in a thread where he was not previously mentioned must be the new favorite tactic of avoiding a debate by Muslims - never mind that his arguments regarding Jihad have never proven wrong - but hey, Muslims aren't into 'debate' and the free exchange of ideas.

They're interested in telling others what they must believe.

Simple question eh, why should we believe a loon interpretation rather than what the Prophet, pbuh, actually taught.

Fair enough, let's look at what the prophet Muhammad taught regarding offensive holy war against non-Muslims ... but on another thread.

If you think this will help you ... hey, it's your funeral.
event horizon

Well, I'll wait for you to answer the question then - why should we believe Spencer's interpretation of the verses he's read and the quotes he's dug up?

Let me know what parts of the section on Jihad confuse you. (Seriously, let me know what parts confused you).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: eh's challenge about Jihad Sep 08, 2010
Unfortunately, the quotes weren't from Spencer, they were from heavyweight classical Muslim scholars.

So, why should we not believe the Muslims scholars when they say that Islam mandates offensive holy war against non-Muslims ?
event horizon

Re: eh's challenge about Jihad Sep 08, 2010
Did you look up what Jihad means in Islam and compare it with Spencer's theory?

As I said, if you are still confused with the explanations, just holler and I'll explain more simply for you. Just let me know what confuses you.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: eh's challenge about Jihad Sep 09, 2010
As I said, I await your refutation of the conclusions of Muslim scholars, who have certainly studied the Koran.

I asked a few posts ago, why should we listen to you and not heavyweight Muslim scholars ?
event horizon

Re: Eh's Challenge About Jihad Sep 09, 2010
Why do you think that Spencer's selective quotes and his interpretation represent the 'conclusions of Muslim scholars'?

I've pointed out that Spencer's interpretation of the verses of the Quran he's read and the selective quotes he's amassed have been punked by the simple fact that the Prophet, pbuh, acted contrary to Spencer's loon view of Islam and I've given you a link which explains what Jihad actually is. When you have compared this with Spencer's view, you can then confirm that his selective quotes and interpretation are out of line with what 'Muslim Scholars' say and what the Prophet, pbuh, did.

Spencer's selective quotes do not constitute 'heavyweight Muslim scholars' conclusions - but rather a great example of:

The offer to explain any aspect of Jihad which still confuse is still open, but first read what Muslim scholars actually say - in full and in context, rather than what JihadBob tells you they say.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

The school girl crush with Spencer is flattering - though he probably didn't wish a bearded, chubby Pakistani was the one obsessing over him.

If you bothered to click on the links, you would have probably realized the quotes weren't gathered by Spencer but by another author - who's written a tome on the subject of Jihad warfare, over seven hundred pages long if I remember.

Undoubtedly, your argument is ripped to shreds and all you have are meaningless talking points and empty cliches that reveal the simple fact that you CANNOT address what these quotes from Muslim scholars - and I have more - say and from men who have indeed done far more research on the subject of holy war and Islamic law than Hans Kung or any modern day revisionist could hope to accomplish.

But seriously, if you believe the quotes that are by no means snippets were taken out of context (how could one misinterpret rulings for holy war against non-believers, never mind, it's an empty talking point ?), perhaps you should present your evidence. Otherwise, you're wasting time and setting straw-men in the hopes I'll get tired with your stupidity.

The quotes are clear and complete. You have not addressed why heavyweight Islamic scholars disagree with you on the topic of holy war. Do you think they did not know about Abyssinia or was it that they didn't find your 'you have to tell law abiding citizens not to break into homes' logic unconvincing ?

Anyways, why don't you post the hadith from Muhammad to see what he actually said were the reasons for not invading Abyssinia and share your belief why the rightly guided caliphs did not follow the Prophet's advice when the invaded (and lost against) Axumite territory (who undoubtedly were peaceful to the Muslims prior to the invasion).
event horizon

Look, just because Spencer tells you that his quotes represent true Islam, doesn't actually change the facts on the ground (to borrow a turn of phrase).

You have singularly failed to address a simple fact that the Prophet, pbuh, taught and demonstrated that Islam does NOT advocate Muslims attacking all non-Muslim states as a tenet of faith. Spencer's theory is punked - the injunctions allowing a just war can't be generalised, which is exactly why you insist on only looking at the elephant's trunk (your selective quotes).

I've invited you to compare the loon version of Islam with full explanations of Jihad from actual Muslim scholars (as opposed to loon bloggers and their selective quotes). I've offered to help you in the comparison of these explanations with those of Spencer.

When you have read, understood and compared- let me know.

As for the quotes coming from Spencer's chum Bostom's article (another pseudo-scholar), that point is moot -as these guys are joined at the hip when it comes to loon interpretations of Islam. Here they are having much more fun than you're having:
dubai-politics-talk/spencer-not-happy-chappy-t42943.html

And apparently Bostom has accused Spencer of fake scholarship since that photo was taken!
http://www.loonwatch.com/2010/04/the-gr ... t-spencer/
:shock:

Cheer up eh - it is almost Eid.

Cheers,
Shafique

(PS who is this 'Pakistani' that you are now fantasising about? :mrgreen: )
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Isn't this another shining example of how Muslims are incapable of actual debate but just preaching - you know, Muslims need to tell you what to think and you better believe it, or else !

The challenge I was referring to in the post shafique quoted in the OP was a response by a Muslim who was quoted claiming that holy war is not a concept found in Islam

I quoted five heavyweight and universally accepted classical Sunni Muslim scholars providing their rulings on the teachings of holy war (in fact, I took shafique's advice and consulted Muslims to see what Islam teaches regarding offensive holy war, Islam calls for perpetual Jihad, who knew ?), disproving the claim that a concept of holy war does not exist in Islam - if it didn't, then what are Muslim scholars doing discussing that Muslims are to wage a 'holy war' against unbelievers until they convert to Islam or live under a Muslim occupation ?

The mind boggles.

But now we've come to the all familiar Muslim tendency of switching tactics and smearing their opponents. The quotes from Muslim scholars have been provided, but instead of addressing these quotes to acknowledge that this belief of holy war (it is pretty hilarious to claim otherwise) does exist within Islam, we see Muslims who are incapable of debate.

Instead, we see a rather trollish attempt at obfuscation. First by presenting a rather winky-dink argument that Muhammad needed to tell his 'peaceful' followers not to attack a territory (apparently, if we follow this logic, upstanding citizens must be told not to pickpocket) then a refusal to quote the actual hadith to examine what reason or reasons were given why Muhammad chose one nation as an exemption from attack, to see if the loon's claims that Muhammad only allowed for holy war against nations that were 'hostile' to Islam was true. And finally, a complete look at Muhammad's utterances and actions regarding holy war. Is shafique citing an isolated example or did Muhammad peacefully co-exist with tribes without demanding subjugation or loyalty to Medina ?

The response that Muhammad needed to say 'hey, don't attack these people, they've done favors for us in the past, but it's 'ok' to attack everybody else' apparently has not sunk in that this particular example does not help one's argument that Muhammad and the early Muslims were peaceful people.

Currently, our resident loon is left to his usual trickery that the quotes are now 'taken out of context', as if the complete paragraphs these scholars are quoted in calling for war against non-believers to establish Islamic supremacy over non-Muslims couldn't be any clearer. And no, there is no way anyone but Muslim loons could claim such clear and complete quotations were taken out of context.
event horizon

Re: Eh's Challenge About Jihad Sep 09, 2010
I couldn't see any new argument in your post eh.

Did you read, understand and compare the information about Jihad in the link I gave with Spencer's distorted view?

When you have a point you want to debate that is not in the articles, let me know.

Specifically, I'm happy to debate the point:
shafique wrote:You have singularly failed to address a simple fact that the Prophet, pbuh, taught and demonstrated that Islam does NOT advocate Muslims attacking all non-Muslim states as a tenet of faith. Spencer's theory is punked - the injunctions allowing a just war can't be generalised, which is exactly why you insist on only looking at the elephant's trunk (your selective quotes).

(Still intrigued to who is this 'Pakistani' fellow is ;) )

And it is worth considering what my first reply said:
This is a classic example of loon reasoning - relying on selective quotes and loon interpretations.

There is indeed a concept of just war in Islam.

Jihad, the lesser jihad, does indeed signify using military means to establish order and fight injustice. The greater Jihad is self-improvement, fighting against one's own bad thoughts/intentions and purifying one's soul.

When there is a need for a just war, then there is indeed an obligation for a Muslim state to act.

So, the question becomes - does the quotes given by Bostom quoted above represent a reality (which loons say is true) that all Muslims are obligated by Islam to fight non-Muslims and get them to convert etc. If it were true, then we'd not be able to find an argument or examples that nullifies this interpretation.

We agree that there is indeed a historical example that punks the loon view of Islam. Hence why I said:
Specifically, we need to choose whether Spencer is right that ALL non-Muslims states should be attacked according to Islam, vs the practice of the Prophet, pbuh, clarified in practice and teaching.

The choice is clear, and we can see that some loons will always choose loon bloggers (and pseudoscholars) who have read bits of the Quran over actual scholars or historical facts.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums