WMD Lies - Now The Truth

Topic locked
WMD lies - now the truth Feb 16, 2011
Not really much surprise to hear an admission that the Iraq war was built on lies...

Defector admits to WMD lies that triggered Iraq war

The defector who convinced the White House that Iraq had a secret biological weapons programme has admitted for the first time that he lied about his story, then watched in shock as it was used to justify the war.

Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi, codenamed Curveball by German and American intelligence officials who dealt with his claims, has told the Guardian that he fabricated tales of mobile bioweapons trucks and clandestine factories in an attempt to bring down the Saddam Hussein regime, from which he had fled in 1995.

“Maybe I was right, maybe I was not right,” he said. “They gave me this chance. I had the chance to fabricate something to topple the regime. I and my sons are proud of that and we are proud that we were the reason to give Iraq the margin of democracy.”

The admission comes just after the eighth anniversary of Colin Powell’s speech to the United Nations in which the then-US secretary of state relied heavily on lies that Janabi had told the German secret service, the BND. It also follows the release of former defence secretary Donald Rumsfeld’s memoirs, in which he admitted Iraq had no weapons of mass destruction programme.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/fe ... s-iraq-war

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: WMD Lies - Now The Truth Feb 16, 2011
Like you said, no big surprise really :?
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: WMD Lies - Now The Truth Feb 17, 2011
It must have passed me by - but I missed the news that Rumsfeld had admitted to the truth about the WMD. Actually, I probably just wasn't interested in news about him after he left office.

But, as for the lies by the informant - no surprises there.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

The truth always seems to come out eventually...
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Waiting to hear from FD and EH.
symmetric
BANNED

Re: WMD lies - now the truth Feb 17, 2011
We should have sent the IDF in instead of the Brits and Yanks At least they would have made a better job and finished the job :D

Good evening Sym! How are you? BM's waiving her flag at you! :bom:
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: WMD lies - now the truth Feb 19, 2011
@Shaf and Kanelli

The fact that there were no WMD came to light, errrrr............., years ago? and you are just finding it out? :lol: :lol:

What do comments by Islamophobes have to do wtih WMD?? Now, that one is lost on me. :drunken: Maybe you aren't hearing from the "usual suspects" is because it doesn't have anything to do with Islam??? :bigsmurf:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: WMD lies - now the truth Feb 19, 2011
BB - why are you picking on Kanelli? It was sympathetic that brought up the usual suspects and their silence - k only stated that the truth has way of coming out.

As for knowing that there were no WMD's - quite a few people were saying this before the 2003 invasion - what this thread is about is the revelation that the 'informer' lied. :roll:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

WMD lies - now the truth Feb 19, 2011
shafique wrote:BB - why are you picking on Kanelli? It was sympathetic that brought up the usual suspects and their silence - k only stated that the truth has way of coming out.

As for knowing that there were no WMD's - quite a few people were saying this before the 2003 invasion - what this thread is about is the revelation that the 'informer' lied. :roll:

Cheers,
Shafique

The fact that you both act like this is breaking news that there were no WMD. We didn't need Rumsfeld to tell us that in his book.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: WMD lies - now the truth Feb 20, 2011
[Mod - a thread on jokes about WMD has been created in FC]

BB - you seem to be reading a hell of a lot into kanelli's one-line post! :shock:

But anyway - A reminder that this thread is all about. It is about new revelations and admission about the person who lied to the US authorities and duped them.

Note that my opening line was:
shafique wrote:Not really much surprise to hear an admission that the Iraq war was built on lies...

The news was that 'curveball' only admitted to the lies last week in the interview with the Guardian. Hence this is not old news.

The video of him explaining this is here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2 ... iraq-video

And the Guardian's fuller story is here:

Curveball: How US was duped by Iraqi fantasist looking to topple Saddam
Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi let imagination run wild and became main source for Colin Powell's case for war in 2003

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/fe ... cia-saddam

Imagination running wild indeed. ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk