Why Do They Hate Us?

Topic locked
Why do they hate us? Aug 12, 2012
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2 ... ?page=full

Why Do They Hate US? The real war on women is in the Middle East by Mona Eltahawy

This sounds like a pretty strong battle cry to me! Would Middle Eastern/Muslim men feel upset if 50% of their society rose up and claimed their human rights and took steps to protect themselves and their interests? The Arab Spring is showing improvements for men, but these men are clambering on the heads of their women and abusing them into submission - or at least trying... I have nothing but admiration for the women standing up to the misogyny they face in society.

Mona Eltahawy wrote: SO WHAT IS TO BE DONE?

First we stop pretending. Call out the hate for what it is. Resist cultural relativism and know that even in countries undergoing revolutions and uprisings, women will remain the cheapest bargaining chips. You -- the outside world -- will be told that it's our "culture" and "religion" to do X, Y, or Z to women. Understand that whoever deemed it as such was never a woman. The Arab uprisings may have been sparked by an Arab man -- Mohamed Bouazizi, the Tunisian street vendor who set himself on fire in desperation -- but they will be finished by Arab women.

Amina Filali -- the 16-year-old Moroccan girl who drank poison after she was forced to marry, and beaten by, her rapist -- is our Bouazizi. Salwa el-Husseini, the first Egyptian woman to speak out against the "virginity tests"; Samira Ibrahim, the first one to sue; and Rasha Abdel Rahman, who testified alongside her -- they are our Bouazizis. We must not wait for them to die to become so. Manal al-Sharif, who spent nine days in jail for breaking her country's ban on women driving, is Saudi Arabia's Bouazizi. She is a one-woman revolutionary force who pushes against an ocean of misogyny.

Our political revolutions will not succeed unless they are accompanied by revolutions of thought -- social, sexual, and cultural revolutions that topple the Mubaraks in our minds as well as our bedrooms.

"Do you know why they subjected us to virginity tests?" Ibrahim asked me soon after we'd spent hours marching together to mark International Women's Day in Cairo on March 8. "They want to silence us; they want to chase women back home. But we're not going anywhere."

We are more than our headscarves and our hymens. Listen to those of us fighting. Amplify the voices of the region and poke the hatred in its eye. There was a time when being an Islamist was the most vulnerable political position in Egypt and Tunisia. Understand that now it very well might be Woman. As it always has been.

kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Why Do They Hate Us? Aug 12, 2012
Thanks Kanelli - an excellent article, worth reading it all.

The issues mentioned are very real - but it is unfair to blame Islam for the misogynism. Islam did not stop three Muslim countries electing ladies to lead them (one of them has had two different lady leaders).

However, Islam is being used as an excuse for some of the misogynism, no doubt. Or I would argue it is being 'misused'.

Still - a very passionately written and eloquent article. I support the women in their fight for freedom from this oppression.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

The article says it is culture and religion and no one seems to care to untangle the two. :)

Shaf, I have to point out that all of your family members are content to let your cousin's wife wear a veil every day when the Quran does not ask women to dress that way, and neither does UK, French or Mauritian culture. The average French woman doesn't wake up one day and decide to wear a veil, so clearly she is doing it based on her conversion to Islam. Shouldn't your family sit down with her and explain how wearing a veil does nothing to help Islamic women, and is based on a misinterpretation of Islam? If she's doing it to fit in or try to show that she is more Islamic than women born into Islam who don't wear a veil, perhaps someone needs to have a word with her about how she doesn't need to prove anything. I can guarantee that if one of your female family members was dressing in a mini-skirt someone would speak up and tell her she needed to reconsider how she dresses. On this forum I have seen men posting illogical, stereotypical, and antiquated ideas about women, their se.xuality, and their rights. Whether it comes from culture or religion or both, it does smack of misogyny to me.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

^ Well, I thought I did explain that my sister-in-law's is indeed aware that Islam does not require a veil and has the example of all the other family members to relate to (her husband has 3 sisters and a mother who don't wear the veil - i.e. my cousins and aunt, as well as the wider family.)

However, the point is that the choice to wear the veil is NOT seen as a sign of oppression at all.

When you are advising a relative to not wear mini-skirts - do you argue that it is a sign of oppression? Or that it is just immodest? (Just curious) - What if the lady relative says 'I am doing it for myself' - and then others turn to you and say 'you are allowing your relative to be oppressed.. etc'?

Anyway - the misogyny highlighted in the article is real. The justifications of culture and religion are also real. The question is whether religion is being misused to justify the misogyny or not.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Why Do They Hate Us? Aug 13, 2012
Mona Eltahawy caused quite a stir in the Muslim world/Leftist blogosphere after this story:

Danios, an Antisemite from a Leftist name-calling site wrote the following rant:

A man can love his wife and still abuse her. He can have undying affection for his daughter but still wrong her in horrible ways. But, by going so far as to say they hate women, Eltahawy has dehumanized them. One recalls similar invective against Palestinian parents: they don't love their children. The message being sent is: they are worse than animals.

Women's rights is an area of concern in many parts of the developing world, not just the Arab world. Why single out Arabs? Women face major obstacles in India. Should we demonize the Hindu religion and the great Indian civilization?

[...]

By firmly pegging abuses against women to the Arab culture and Muslim religion, Mona Eltahawy's article was nothing short of bigotry.

[...]

As other pundits have noted, Mona Eltahawy is–along with Irshad Manji, Asra Nomani, Tarek Fatah, Zuhdi Jasser, etc.–acting in the role of the "native informant." Monica L. Marks writes on the Huffington Post:

These native informants just tell us what we want to hear. Their job is to increase hatred of Arabs and Muslims, something that is needed in order to sustain our multiple wars of aggression in that part of the world.

http://www.loonwatch.com/2012/04/why-do ... they-dont/

To which, one of commentators wrote a stinging response to Danios' incomprehensible logic:

Anticipated Serendipity wrote:Very disappointing article. So does any and all criticism of Arab culture and religious extremism equate to bigotry? You can't argue with the hard truth that Arab culture is not woman-friendly, so instead you decide to basically argue that we shouldn't mention it because "Islamaphobes" and racists may use it against us and because the West is worse with its wars and what not. If an Arab woman cannot criticize her own culture for it's treatment of her sex without being labelled "racist", then who can? Simply ridiculous.

@Danios:
"There is no way to deny the basic premise that the status of women's rights in the Arab world is abysmal. Why then did Mona Eltahawy evoke such a hostile reaction from even the Arab women whose rights she seeks to protect? The easy answer, one that Eltahawy and her supporters might argue, is that these women are simply brainwashed. Too much "Islamism" in their little brains. The problem with this argument is that it's sexist. It's basically saying Arab women are too stupid to think for themselves."

She evoked a hostile reaction because Arab culture (like many other Eastern cultures) chokes its people with shame/honour. It's all about saving face and it's humiliating for the outside world to be aware of your flaws; not only that, but YES the women are somewhat brainwashed. There's nothing misogynistic about pointing that out. It's even more true when you point out that the average Arab woman is a lot less educated and a lot more likely to be illiterate than her Western counterpart. This makes it a lot easier for Arab men to control their women. They are socially programmed or "nurtured" to view themselves and their place in society a certain way by their CULTURE. FGM is abuse of an abhorrent kind and it is carried out by women – who've experienced the horror and know the damage first-hand – on other girls, not because these women are bitches, but because their culture has hardwired them to accept this barbarism and abuse as their burden for being women. Let the apologia by way of comparisons with high heels and the sexual objectification of women in the West begin...

"A man can love his wife and still abuse her. He can have undying affection for his daughter but still wrong her in horrible ways."

What??? Do you really believe that? One man's abuse is another man's affection? You're not going to deny that violence against women is widespread in the MidEast, you're just going to argue that slapping your woman around every now and then doesn't mean you don't love her and even though you've killed your daughter because she wouldn't marry her cousin you still have "undying affection" for her.

"Women's rights is an area of concern in many parts of the developing world, not just the Arab world. Why single out Arabs? Women face major obstacles in India. Should we demonize the Hindu religion and the great Indian civilization?"

This is a perfectly generic argument as you can use it against anyone. "Why single us out, look at them". If an Indian woman had said something similar I'm sure an article would have appeared somewhere in cyberspace saying something like "why single us out, how about the Arabs?" As an earlier commenter pointed out Eltahawy is an Arab and a woman hence the treatment of women in her culture is something that concerns her. There's no reason why we can't criticize Indian culture for it's downfalls.

and

Anticipated Serendipity wrote:
"Just as the viral Kony 2012 video drew criticism for reinforcing the idea of White Man's Burden, so too does Mona Eltahawy's article tap into historically racist Orientalist attitudes towards the Arab world"

Any criticism of the MidEast = orientalism. You didn't have to write a whole article to tell us that. That Kony business reinforced White Man's Burden? Really? I thought it was sensationalist and didn't see how it could achieve much, but subtly racist? Methinks your PC-crippled leftist pals over-analysed that one.

"By firmly pegging abuses against women to the Arab culture and Muslim religion, Mona Eltahawy's article was nothing short of bigotry. Indeed, one could hardly tell the difference between Eltahawy's article and what could normally be found sprawled on numerous Islamophobic websites, such as Robert Spencer's JihadWatch and Pamela Geller's Atlas Shrugs. It is almost a surety that her article will be approvingly cited on such sites, which pit "our civilized, freedom-loving civilization" against "those barbaric, women-hating peoples."

But this civilization is "freedom-loving" and relatively "civilized". What's wrong with admitting that? The MidEast is hardly a female utopia. Fact is fact, irrespective of who says it.

"...Why, for example, did Mona Eltahawy choose to publish her article in Foreign Policy, an American magazine? Why didn't she write it for an Arab/Arabic publication, with a primarily Arab readership?"

LOL. Do you think the type of censorship that is practiced by Arab publications would allow such an article? I'm almost certain something like this would attract death threats if it was written for an Arab publication. Lucky Eltahawy lives in America and not in Europe or she may have needed to go into hiding and travel with bodyguards for the rest of her life.

"We can continue to pat ourselves on the back for how civilized we are, how free our women are, how we are so much better than them. But, none of that will change the fact that we are the ones waging wars of aggression and occupation in the Muslim world. We are the ones killing hundreds of thousands of their innocent men, women, and children."

And this anti-war drivel has what to do with women's rights in MidEastern cultures? WE are always worse than THEM, right? Diverting attention from the issue being discussed is NOT a good persuasive technique.

"...To use a jazzy catchphrase of my own: mutilating a baby girl's genitals is horrible, but dropping a bomb on her head is much worse."

FGM is an ancient cultural practice. No ceasefires or peace deals are going to make it stop and there's nothing worse than being abused by those who are supposed to love and protect you. Furthermore, is it an aspect of Western culture to "drop bombs on baby girl's heads" or is that the unfortunate result of certain policies? Do terrorists hailing from the MidEast, and even governments in said region not deliberately target civilians thereby "dropping bombs on baby girl's heads"? Can the same be said for FGM? Is FGM not a reprehensible aspect of certain cultures (FGM is widespread in Eltahawy's native Egypt)? Is FGM practiced in the West by Westerners?

Talk about comparing apples and oranges *rolls eyes*. You can never miss an opportunity to badger on about how violent and destructive the West is, can you? So Danios, is no one allowed to talk about Arab issues? Must everyone join you in yapping about the evils of the West? Even after the bombs stop dropping, girls/women will still be suffering at the hands of the men their culture has produced.

Numerous other Muslim/Middle Eastern authors and websites have also circled their wagons - like here with regard to MEMRI; it isn't the abuse that Mona Eltahawy writes about but that she dares to write anything negative at all that upsets these people:
rayznack
Dubai Expat Helper

Does anybody actually read any of rattys cut n paste specials? Just scrolling down to the end of page is an effort in itself !
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

"only women you know are kunts like windbag and your whore wife" - desertdudeshj

Isn't posting without anything of value to add to a topic the definition of trolling? Or maybe that's just spam.

Either way, your 6,447 brainless one liners have offered nothing to the forum since you unfortunately became a member.

Btw, this thread is especially for you:

dubai-chat/desertdude-posts-excellence-post-you-got-t51678.html

To be fair, I never read much of your worthless one liners until I realized how sick they were and hypocritical other members are.

But hey, perhaps they too don't read what you write either, short, little "man".
rayznack
Dubai Expat Helper

^Hey DDS - I think you upset him. ;)

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Awwwwww...... wittle trolly poo is upset. Time to change his diapers I think.
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Awwwwww...... wittle trolly poo is upset. Time to change his diapers I think.

Invite me to your grade school graduation ceremony, will you?
rayznack
Dubai Expat Helper

Shaf, why exactly does she wear the veil if it isn't for religious reasons? Is her modesty being called into question by her husband? Are they living in France and she just wants to give the middle finger to the French authorities because of the burka/niqab ban?

Does she work outside the home? I was wondering if there are many work opportunities outside the home in the West if one must cover one's face all of the time, and preferably not work in the company of male co-workers.

If encouraging mini-skirts and dressing skimpy is a manipulation by men to see more skin, and the veil is a manipulation by men to prove a woman's modesty and piety - it seems there are two circles of men in society trying to oppress women in their own way. The conversation must be had about the effects of dressing in a certain way and what that says about you in society. Women must make up their own minds, but that doesn't mean the conversation shouldn't be had.

It would be interesting to look at cases that come up in the media and try to tease out what is based on culture and what is based on religion. So much seems to come down to men fearing and loathing female s.ex.ality. This influences what is expected of women, how they are treated, how they are expected to dress, and how they are allowed to function in society. My favourite quote from the article is, "Our political revolutions will not succeed unless they are accompanied by revolutions of thought -- social, sexual, and cultural revolutions that topple the Mubaraks in our minds as well as our bedrooms."

--- Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:50 am ---

I've got EH (rayznack) foe listed so can't see anything he has to say.

--- Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:14 am ---

I'm going to pop some links on here to the stories of the women that Eltahawy referred to.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2 ... -veil.html

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... st-go.html

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... -rule.html
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

"why exactly does she wear the veil if it isn't for religious reasons?"

Men have beard for religious reasons, if a person wants to do something for religious reasons then it is their choice. And people wear things for non-religious reasons too culture, society, class (reminds me of high class gatherings), fashion, etc. If person is doing these by their choice then normally it is not considered forced.

Mona Eltahawy came to TED Talk Doha, one of my friend works for TED Talks and she is working on women issues in India, and from what I heard many women had opposite reaction to her. Not sure how you can confirm this, if you know somebody who was in TED Talk Doha you can ask. There are responses by other women which are online:

But I digress. On to Eltahawy ’s article, titled “Why Do They Hate Us.” The title sets off an alarm: the use of the first-person-plural. The first-person-plural can be appropriately used when the speaker has been elected to speak on behalf of the group they are speaking on behalf of. In this case, the “They” being Arab societies and “Us” being Arab women. Eltahawy ’s self-appointed representation of Arab women is neither professional nor accurate. While I sincerely value the freedom of self-expression and have not one single problem with her expressing her views, doing so on the behalf of all Arab women is enraging.
Her article presents a summary and background of the treatment of women in the region, paired with statistics and specific examples of cases from countries throughout the region, fluffed with emotional rhetoric, ending with a call for fighting against injustices. Every now and then, a different image of the nude woman with the body-painted Niqab interrupts the commentary, fueling the rage all over again.... The issue is framing and presenting women in the region as a monolith and pitting their struggles against the backdrop of an argument which points to “hate.” The argument dismisses the role of figures like Tawakul Karman, Zainab and Maryam al-Khawaja, and others — women who rose through the revolutions and were present in the public sphere during protests and demonstrations, standing alongside their compatriots demanding change and an end to injustices of all kinds. These women stood up as individuals and not as self-proclaimed representatives of Arab women.
Eltahawy points to “hate” as the source and cause of the injustices committed against Arab women. She scapegoats the rise of the Islamists, but Maya Mikdashi debunked that argument a couple months ago:
“Gender equality and justice should be a focus of progressive politics no matter who is in power. A selective fear of Islamists when it comes to women’s and LGBTQ rights has more to do with Islamophobia than a genuine concern with gender justice. Unfortunately, Islamists do not have an exclusive license to practice patriarchy and gender discrimination/oppression in the region. The secular state has been doing it fairly adequately for the last half a century.”
Yet, Eltahawy entirely neglects the socioeconomic roots of gender inequality, the rise of authoritarian regimes in a post-colonialist context, the remnants of dehumanization and oppression from colonialism, the systematic exclusion of women from the political system or those who are used as convenient tools for the regime. Full article: http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/origina ... ot-re.html

This one is written by guy but he has expressed far extending issues well and quotes in the from women (some of them close to the issue) are insightful:
The vast number of critiques written by Arab, Muslim, and South Asian women call attention to how Mona’s simplistic analysis and characterization of Arab women as “helpless” plays into larger discourses that have a real impact in the world, particularly in the way the US oppresses racialized people in Muslim-majority countries. This construction of the “helpless woman of color” who must be saved from the “dangerous man of color” has a long history of sexual violence, colonialism, and racism. As Andrea Smith explains in “Conquest: Sexual Violence and American Indian Genocide,” when European colonizers enslaved Native women, they argued that “they were actually somehow freeing Native women from ‘oppression’ they supposedly faced in Native nations.”.... If we look at the violent US invasion and military occupation in Afghanistan, we see how the legacy of colonialism continues when Afghan women’s struggles against patriarchy and misogyny are used as propaganda to advance war – one that continues to bomb, torture, and rape Afghan men and women. I don’t believe Mona Eltahawy is calling for the west to intervene in struggles against patriarchy in Muslim-majority countries, but I present these discourses and histories to show how critiques of her article are not “pointless” or “personal attacks,” but serious and important. Performing as a native informant is dangerous, not only because of the racist stereotypes it reinforces, but also because of the way it silences the countless Arab and Muslim women and men who have been fighting against misogyny and other forms of sexist oppression. Egyptian journalist and activist Gigi Ibrahim, who blogs at “Tahrir & Beyond,” writes the following in her response to Mona [read full]: https://muslimreverie.wordpress.com/201 ... y-hate-us/

--- Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:00 am ---

kanelli wrote: Is her modesty being called into question by her husband? Are they living in France and she just wants to give the middle finger to the French authorities because of the burka/niqab ban?
You are talking about this one?
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

This is something that "white" folk don't understand specially so called feminists fighting for "womens rights"
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:This is something that "white" folk don't understand specially so called feminists fighting for "womens rights"
Yea :(
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

ETA ^Nucleus - excellent interview. That addresses most of the issues head on.

kanelli ,

My sister-in-law does choose to wear the veil for religious reasons, but not because of Islam forces her to wear a veil. It's her choice. Her modesty is not called into question, nor is her piety - and she is not doing it to poke the finger at authorities but for the same reasons that the British women gave in the article I quoted before (who all said they knew it was optional, but that they chose to wear the veil - didn't see it as a sign of oppression etc).

And yes, she does work and when she's in public she wears the veil. At work, because there are no men there, she doesn't wear the veil.

As for the mini-skirt being oppressive towards women - I'd share your view. I also fully agree with your statement that: "Women must make up their own minds, but that doesn't mean the conversation shouldn't be had."

The big-thing-point is that wearing a veil voluntarily and without any explicit or implicit coercion (as is the case with my relative) is not a sign of oppression at all. It does no harm to the lady or the wider society at all. How can choosing to cover your face from men you don't know be viewed as harmful?

If you read the link given by eh - you'll see that he highlights the fact that Arab women came out strongly against the article for its stereotyping and hyperbole about all Arab men:

There is no way to deny the basic premise that the status of women's rights in the Arab world is abysmal. Why then did Mona Eltahawy evoke such a hostile reaction from even the Arab women whose rights she seeks to protect? The easy answer, one that Eltahawy and her supporters might argue, is that these women are simply brainwashed. Too much "Islamism" in their little brains. The problem with this argument is that it's sexist. It's basically saying Arab women are too stupid to think for themselves.

The real reason that Arab women recoil after reading Eltahawy's article is that, while she tries to connect to them based on their gender, she attacks other aspects of their core identity: their race, nationality, religion, and culture. In fact, her racist (and somewhat babbling) screed is nothing short of a vicious attack on their entire civilization.

And this hammers the point home

By attacking their core identity, Eltahawy has succeeded in alienating her own audience.

Imagine, for instance, an American feminist arguing for greater rights for African women, while at the same time assailing the black race, African culture, and traditional tribal religion. How receptive or thankful do you think these African women would be? How pleased would the black or African community be if someone was writing articles about how backwards their culture is?

Mona Eltahawy's article engages in trite, racial stereotypes. Legitimate problems in the Arab world are sensationalized. They hate women. What an absurd exaggeration! They have mothers, sisters, wives, and daughters–and it is reasonable to assume that, like other human beings on earth, they love them.

Personally, I took her hyperbole in my stride and looked more to the legitimate 'basic premise' that there is indeed a problem that can't be ignored. I disagreed with her stereotyping and pointed out that the religion is not the problem, even if it is used as the excuse.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Why do they hate us? Aug 13, 2012
Have to say that's a really fantastic article, with very real issues. The women in this region have much to put up with and by the things that have been happening recently, I think they are well and truly fed up of it all. Well done to those who are standing up for their rights, to be seen and treated as equals to men. I do not understand why some men would manipulate the teachings of religion to oppress women - are they that threatened by women?

For sure women here have an uphill battle, but as has happened in western countries before, change does happen.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Why do they hate us? Aug 13, 2012
If you read the link given by eh - you'll see that he highlights the fact that Arab women came out strongly against the article for its stereotyping and hyperbole about all Arab men:

The troll who can't be bothered to address the refutation of the article I posted.

And, of course, the author himself doesn't engage in any stereotyping and hyperbole in that article like rat face in this thread has, either, right?
rayznack
Dubai Expat Helper

Chocoholic wrote: I do not understand why some men would manipulate the teachings of religion to oppress women - are they that threatened by women?

I think that's part of it in many Arab countries. I was told that this was especially the case in Saudi where the rulers are particularly wary of people speaking their minds over the autocratic rule that they had no say in.

Religion being misused to oppress women is not unique to Islam.

As we've seen in previous discussions, Christian Biblical scholars consider the misogynistic verses in the Bible to be additions/fabrications by women-hating Churchmen:
Father Jerome Murphy-O'Connor, O.P.:
1 Corinthians 14:34-35 are not a Corinthian slogan, as some have argued..., but a post-Pauline interpolation.... Not only is the appeal to the law (possibly Genesis 3:16) un-Pauline, but the verses contradict 1 Corinthians 11:5. The injunctions reflect the misogyny of 1 Timothy 2:11-14 and probably stem from the same circle.
New Jerome Biblical Commentary, edited by Raymond E. Brown, S.S., Joseph A. Fitzmyer, S.J, and Roland E. Murphy, O.Carm., Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1990, pages 811-812)

philosophy-dubai/for-contradictions-t37492.html#p307744

(And note that Professor Hans Kung also comes to the same conclusion in his book 'Women in Christianity' that the misogynistic verses were later additions.)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

desertdudeshj wrote:This is something that "white" folk don't understand specially so called feminists fighting for "womens rights"

Is Mona Eltahawy white? How about all the other women fighting for their rights in the Middle East, Africa, Asia, North America, South America etc.?

It is pretty disappointing that you and nucleus want to bring my skin colour into this discussion when it has nothing to do with it.

Until I see men walking around shrouded in black cloth to be the ultimate in piety, modesty and to bring them closer to god, then I can only conclude there is something pretty fishy going on with why women must make themselves invisible while men would never dream of doing so. There are many women who believe in misogynistic practices because it has been ingrained in them since childhood. That still doesn't make the practices any less misogynistic.

--- Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:28 pm ---

Nucleus, I am 100% sure that some people are against Mona Eltahawy. All feminists who speak out about injustice and fighting for women's rights are looked at unfavourably by those who don't share the same view.

Do you think women are treated fairly and there are no problems for women in the Middle East?

Shaf, your sister-in-law is lucky to find work where she is only with females all day. What would happen if some men were hired there?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

^She would just have put on her veil at work then. It's just a piece of cloth, after all. ;)

What did you think of the video Nucleus posted?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

she probably has a gun pointed towards her off camera !
desertdudeshj

If Shafique wouldn't have double standards, he would support freedom of dress for all his family members.
evitav
Dubai Forums Frequenter

desertdudeshj wrote:she probably has a gun pointed towards her off camera !

:D
I thought the CNN host was spot on too - not supporting a law that would ban the veil.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I watched the video and I agree with Mona Eltahawy.

The veil was created by men to make women invisible in society and set the bar of piety so high that any woman wearing less can be considered worthy of any kind of abuse she gets. It makes the statement that women not covering are not as virtuous, and it perpetuates the notion that men cannot control themselves and are dangerous to women, so becoming invisible is the only way to protect one's virtue and honour. I wouldn't think that Muslim/Arab men would be proud to support such a notion, but they seem quite content with that. As is seen in the Middle East, women are shamed if they are raped and in some places women are forced to marry their rapists so as not to dishonour their family. Girls are married off young to prevent them from losing their honour, and even married women who are se.xually assaulted are charged for infidelity. Men are simply hung up on anything se.xual related to their women. The veil is about the se.xualization of women, just as much as women being scantily clad is about the se.xualization of women. When Shebah Ahmed says she is wearing the niqab to protest the objectification of women she doesn't seem to realize that she is actually supporting the objectification of women by going to the extreme of covering all of her skin except for her eyes.

How Muslim women can say it is for their religious beliefs I cannot understand, since there is nothing in the Quran or Hadith that say a woman should cover her face. Many people around the world, Muslim or not, dress up and cover most of their skin during winter time and so far I haven't heard any reports of them feeling more virtuous or closer to their god with so much skin covered. Shouldn't it work for everyone? Why don't more men and women, especially non-Muslims, have this "epiphany" and cover all of their skin including their face? Is god not rewarding the virtuous?

Ahmed admitted that in France the majority of women wearing the niqab are converts and I think that says a lot. Just as you see born-again Christians who are overzealous, it seems female converts to Islam are being overzealous and using the niqab to make a statement about their conversion. No doubt they want to show all of society they are Muslim and proud, and they want to be the pinnacle of piety in the Muslim community by "outdressing" the women who were born into Islam and were not converts, and who do not choose to wear the niqab.

Super liberal people don't support a ban, and that is fine. But Eltahawy points out that the law can be important to provide women with something that allows them to say no to wearing the niqab if they choose not to wear one but are feeling pressured by their community. Eltahawy said in the video that she had knowledge of women who were being pressured from the religious right in their Islamic communities to take up the niqab. I support the ban simply because the veil was created out of misogyny and further perpetuates it.

Shaf, you said yourself that in Mauritius there is a trend for women to wear gloves and veils now, and that is most certainly to do with more conservative Islamic influence. What was so wrong with the virtue and piety of those girls before wearing gloves and a veil? Why isn't the abaya and hijab enough? Why should Muslim women who choose not to wear the abaya or hijab be considered bad Muslims. Is it the trend in Islam to tell women they aren't pious enough? Why are people so obsessed with how virtuous a woman is?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

I'll start to get hope once I see a Muslim demonstrating for the rights of gays and apostates.
LuckyMe
BANNED

kanelli wrote:How Muslim women can say it is for their religious beliefs I cannot understand

But the ones that do wear the veil for religious reasons - do you think that they should be criminalised or listened to?

It makes the statement that women not covering are not as virtuous, and it perpetuates the notion that men cannot control themselves and are dangerous to women, so becoming invisible is the only way to protect one's virtue and honour.

That is not how I see it, nor how the women who choose the veil see it.

I can't really see how choosing to wear a veil is the same s.exualisation and objectification of women. Why would just covering up the face make a difference between just being 'modestly dressed' and now being 'invisible'?

The irony for me is that women choosing to wear a veil are actually a sign of Muslim women actively taking part in society and NOT being kept 'hidden' in the home.

Whilst I have some sympathy for the view that the niqab is seen by the converts as the 'hard core' version of modesty - I still don't see why this is any reason for it to be banned. On the contrary - this seems to count against your argument that it is an instrument of oppression. I also don't agree with your contention that choosing to wear a veil means you look down on others who don't wear the veil or consider their level of covering to be 'bad'. It's about choice.

But I now see why you support a ban:

I support the ban simply because the veil was created out of misogyny and further perpetuates it.

I don't agree that it was created out of misogyny nor do I agree that women choosing to wear the veil perpetuates misogyny. I am not projecting my views on to the women choosing to wear the veil, but taking them at their word about why they wear the veil.

As for Mauritius (and UK) where more young women are choosing the veil - again, I point to the reasons the ladies themselves give for choosing to cover up. It is not because they are perpetuating a male oriented hatred of women, nor are they being forced by men to wear the veil.

I guess that I am 'super liberal' for not supporting the ban and taking the ladies who express their views at their words for why they cover up.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:I can't really see how choosing to wear a veil is the same s.exualisation and objectification of women.

Because the reason in clearly given by Muhammed: men can't control themselves.

--- Aug 13, 2012 ---

shafique wrote: I still don't see why this is any reason for it to be banned.

For the same reason you think mini-skirts should be banned from Dubai malls, 24/7 Islam.

--- Aug 13, 2012 ---

shafique wrote:I guess that I am 'super liberal'

Do you support gay marriage?
LuckyMe
BANNED

Re: Why Do They Hate Us? Aug 14, 2012
An interesting article in todays paper, lets see how Islam can be blamed for this, I'm sure people will find a way. lol

http://gulfnews.com/news/world/india/th ... -1.1061358
desertdudeshj

kanelli wrote:Is Mona Eltahawy white? How about all the other women fighting for their rights in the Middle East, Africa, Asia, North America, South America etc.?

kanelli wrote:Nucleus, I am 100% sure that some people are against Mona Eltahawy. All feminists who speak out about injustice and fighting for women's rights are looked at unfavourably by those who don't share the same view.
And Mona downplayed most of them, if not all, in her article. They are not just some women who are fighting for the rights of women, they are many if you see objections to her coming from other women. And probably it is because Mona seems to contradict herself at one hand she says she is fighting for the rights of women but on the other hand she is forcing her views on other woman (public ban).

Another reason, and very important one, for the opposition to her is because she is not helping the women here, her target is western audience. Friend of mine who works for TED Talks, she works on education of women in rural India, and situation in some places is much worse than here, but she works with the people their rather than writing emotionally charged articles -- and she has been successful. Women working here, I don't know them personally, but probably are doing the same.

Here she is:

On the other hand, the problem with Mona's article/approach is as Sara wrote:
My final issue is with the publication itself. The majority of Foreign Policy’s audience is western. For them, such a shallow “analysis” will only serve to consolidate and confirm their suspicions and stereotypes about Arab men: the violent, sexist Arab men hate their women. The next step would simply be for westerners to come and save the poor Arab women, who in el Tahawy’s article have yet again been portrayed as victims. (Oh wait, this narrative sounds familiar.)

My point is that it is better to write a long, complicated article that few people will read; than a short, simplistic one that gets lots of attention but does absolutely nothing in terms of social justice or social change. What has this article done for Arab women? What solutions has it proposed?

Afghanistan got the liberation but what has changed in Afghanistan? Nothing, it is actually worse now: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/ju ... stan-india

--- Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:43 am ---

desertdudeshj wrote:An interesting article in todays paper
Thanks, interesting article.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Its not just the middle east it all over the world men have a different way to look at a woman See the abusive words all are related to woman fo example "son of a bi.." why not "son of a dog" or other f. and so on

Similarly imagin a man tells an other man that a woan is about to rape hin his reaction and that of a woman will be so different wouldnt it be. Yes In Middle east it sems a lot of hatered or shall we say different behavior but its all over the world too :)

Jamal

http://www.exoticdubai.com
tnc123
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk