Victory At Bilin (Small One)

Topic locked
Victory at Bilin (Small one) Jun 28, 2011
It only took the Israeli Occupying forces 4 years to comply with an Israeli Court's ruling - but it also shows that weekly protests by unarmed Palestinians and a few foreigners does pay off eventually.

The re-routing of the so-called 'apartheid wall' (or as Regev puts it 'the security fence') is a small victory in the scheme of things - but at least this overt land-grab has been over-turned. All the excuses for the attempted stealing of Palestinian land now look even more hollow. :roll:

West Bank barrier section at Bilin is re-routed

Israeli troops have begun to dismantle part of the controversial West Bank barrier near the Palestinian village of Bilin, four years after a court ordered it to be re-routed.

Palestinians have protested weekly for years at Bilin, which they say lost half its land to the barrier.

The protests often ended in violent clashes with Israeli troops.

Critics have accused Israel of grabbing land. Israel says the barrier is a necessary security measure.

It began building the proposed 720-km (430-mile) barrier in 2002 after a wave of Palestinian suicide bombings originating in the West Bank.

Parts of it jut deep into the West Bank, occupied by Israel since 1967 and claimed as territory for a putative state by the Palestinians.

In 2004, the World Court at The Hague issued an advisory ruling that the barrier was illegal and should be removed where it did not follow the Green Line, the internationally recognised boundary between the West Bank and Israel.

Four years ago, Israel's High Court ordered the government to re-route the barrier, saying it encroached too much on Palestinian land in Bilin, where it cuts some 3km (2 miles) into farmers' fields.

The Israeli military says a new concrete barrier has been erected near the Jewish settlement of Modiin Illit, in place of the section of the barrier being removed.

Local commander Col Saar Tzur said the re-routing would restore about 140 acres (57 hectares) of land to the Palestinians. He said about 50 acres would remain off-limits to them, Reuters news agency reported.

Palestinians gave a cautious welcome to the move.

"It makes me happy but still we are far away from what we are looking for and what we want to achieve," Mohammed Khatib of Bilin's Popular Resistance movement was quoted by Reuters as saying.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13920483

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Victory at Bilin (Small one) Jun 28, 2011
by unarmed Palestinians and a few foreigners

Surely you mean armed only with rocks and bottles?

Those poor old Palestinians.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Only the most vile jew-haters call it the apartheid wall. You can argue about the route of the security barrier, but I am sure that as long as virtually no Pali's blow themselves up anymore in Israeli buses, restaurants, malls and weddings, almost no Israeli disagrees with the barrier. Since the suicide missions became almost zero, also road blocks in the Westbank reduces significantly. As long as you donot blow yourself up, Israel is good for you!

Lets wait until the Pali High Court decides that Shalit is at least allowed to communicate with his family. Probably only when hell freezes over. And thats the difference!
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

As I said, the excuses for the wall's route now ring hollow given that the Israeli Military Occupation force has agreed to move the 'hafrada'/'separation'/'apartheid' wall's route.

The land grab attempt was thwarted in this case.

Why not build the wall on the 1967 'borders'?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:Why not build the wall on the 1967 'borders'?

In the end it doesn't really matter. Whatever Israel does, its wrong for many. For many people who talk about the 1967 armistice lines, the next step is the partition plan. Like poster Shafique has expressed before, that actually the partition plan is fairer. Look how Galloway 'slipped' recently that he wants actually Israel destroyed in the end. All so predictable. Since it doesn't matter, Israel will do anything to protect its citizens. Nobody else does it for them, as the UN presence is just one big joke.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

:D

The Israelis are caught stealing land and have to give it back, and the response is the typical 'smoke and mirrors' bluster.

All this vitriol over an Israeli court's decision! No wonder there is so much resistance to the end of the Israeli Military Occupation of land captured in 1967! :shock:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I like how people conveniently ignore the chicken and egg of these checkpoints / barriers to Palestinian terrorism.

The vast majority of checkpoints were set up as a response to terrorism. Palestinians can blame themselves for the checkpoints.
event horizon

Re: Victory at Bilin (Small one) Jun 29, 2011
Well, you've got to hand it to the fanbois - they are consistent.

The Israeli Occupying Army tries to steal land, Israeli court says this is wrong - and yet they blame the Palestinians whose land was being stolen!

That's what I call Chutpah! :D

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Every country has a right to protect it's borders.

For years Palestinian suicide bombers entered Israel, blowing up cafés filled with families, buses packed with schoolchildren and lines of teenagers waiting to enter a dance club.

The Israeli government, as all other governments, is responsible for the safety and security of its people. It determined that a security fence and checkpoints were needed in order to stop suicide bombers and other terrorists from entering Israel. The checkpoints are therefore necessary structures erected to protect Israeli civilians from terrorists.

Criticism of the Israelis should only carry weight if the critics acknowledge the fact that, in so many ways, the checkpoints were built not by the Israelis but by the terrorists. It was the terrorists who forced Israel to meet its responsibility to protect its citizens from extremists who target civilians.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/04/opini ... mon04.html
Bethsmum

When jews are defending themselves against people who want to exterminate them, it really makes some very very angry. There will always be people calling them nazi's or Israel an apartheid state, it is just a way to release some of that anger.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Name calling and smoke and mirrors are the only responses it seems.

Why let the simple fact that the Israeli Occupying Army is having to comply with an Israeli court decision that it can't steal Palestinian land.

As I said in the OP:
shafique wrote:The re-routing of the so-called 'apartheid wall' (or as Regev puts it 'the security fence') is a small victory in the scheme of things - but at least this overt land-grab has been over-turned. All the excuses for the attempted stealing of Palestinian land now look even more hollow. :roll:
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:Name calling and smoke and mirrors are the only responses it seems.

Why let the simple fact that the Israeli Occupying Army is having to comply with an Israeli court decision that it can't steal Palestinian land.

As I said in the OP:
shafique wrote:The re-routing of the so-called 'apartheid wall' (or as Regev puts it 'the security fence') is a small victory in the scheme of things - but at least this overt land-grab has been over-turned. All the excuses for the attempted stealing of Palestinian land now look even more hollow. :roll:

I don't see any name calling nor smoke and mirrors. All I see is you repeating yourself, as is usual.
As I said in my post
Every country has a right to protect it's borders.

and
It was the terrorists who forced Israel to meet its responsibility to protect its citizens from extremists who target civilians.

Cheers
BM
Bethsmum

Someone's getting sloppy. I noticed a certain someone forgot to sign their name in two posts they made in this thread.

I almost didn't know who the author of these two posts was.
event horizon

event horizon wrote:Someone's getting sloppy. I noticed a certain someone forgot to sign their name in two posts they made in this thread.

I almost didn't know who the author of these two posts was.

Do you think it may be stress related EH? I would hate to think that Sir Shafique was feeling bullied or outnumbered.
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk