Saudi Women Set To Defy Driving Ban

Topic locked
Saudi women set to defy driving ban Jun 17, 2011
Personally, I think it's one of those stories people see as cute but don't really understand the implications.

The fact is, none of these women have their licenses. If these women are caught, then at the very least they should be punished in accordance with Saudi law for those who drive without a license. I don't care if people think the law is unjust, that is not the point.

I also imagine most of these women do not have much driving experience. Would people still think this would be cute if Saudi women were barred from performing surgeries and protested the law by sneaking into an ER and operating on someone? Err, no. That would be stupid.

Anyways, I hope these women don't end up crashing into or killing anyone over their antics.

http://english.aljazeera.net/video/midd ... 41723.html

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Saudi women set to defy driving ban Jun 18, 2011
They probably learnt to drive on their private estates EH. Beth can drive and she's only 15, we have 100 acres that she can practice on. She wouldn't be allowed on the public highway though!

It's a daft law, even the citizens of Saudi would like it changed. I can't imagine not being able to jump in my car and go anywhere I want to.

Interesting to hear that women aren't actually banned from driving, they just need a license and the authorities don't issue them to women. I didn't know that.
Bethsmum

No, there is no actual law, but Fatwa's are effectively law in Saudi. Many of these women has licenses obtained abroad, yet they still aren't allowed to drive.

My mum used to drive around our expat compound in Saudi - but that's another matter.

Once again it's a stupid, backward, archaic law by 'men'.

I say go ladies GO!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Saudi Women Set To Defy Driving Ban Jun 18, 2011
I don't think it's cute - I think it's brave.
blueshift
Dubai forums Addict

Once again it's a stupid

So is driving around without the Saudi equivalent of insurance.

I certainly wouldn't support people performing unlicensed surgeries in protest just because they're banned from becoming surgeons.

Why do we treat this any differently?
event horizon

Re: Saudi Women Set To Defy Driving Ban Jun 18, 2011
^^^
Logic, doesn't have any.
desertdudeshj

Re: Saudi women set to defy driving ban Jul 04, 2011
Why women should not be allowed to drive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9cAa6SP79M&NR=1
capsicum