A Review Of Huff's Book, 'The Rise Of Early Modern Science'

Topic locked
Re: A review of Huff's book, 'The Rise of Early Modern Scien Oct 13, 2010
No one denies that European Universities introduced certain features not found in the earlier Islamic Universities

Uh, there was no such thing as an Islamic university. They were Europe's equivalent of 'Bible' schools before the emergence of the European University that existed in Europe since the 6th century.

Read Toby Huff's book or at least some sections of this to know the facts before making your typically basic errors when pontificating on a subject you have no prior knowledge of.

Makdisi listed 18 things that were copied from the Islamic institutions.

Makdisi's beliefs that these 18 'things' were copied by the Europeans has now been debunked according to the quote I provided.

Please try and keep up.

Indeed, I quoted Huff stating exactly this point.

You quoted Huff exactly saying what?

So, you first quote a blogger quoting Makdisi and then disown Makdisi.

Ironically, you've quoted Toby Huff believing he agrees with you but Huff actually stresses the point that the Islamic madrasa was certainly not a university and the European University developed on its own without any 'borrowing' from the Muslim world.

In fact, there would be no need to borrow since the madrasa was a far cry from the European universities that would develop - though similar to the Bible colleges in Europe already in existence since the 6th century.

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: A review of Huff's book, 'The Rise of Early Modern Scien Oct 13, 2010
I thought I was quite clear on the subject:

shafique wrote:Still in denial.

The whole big thing point is that your blogger's initial premise has been debunked by the same book he took his one quote from (Makdisi's book). I concede that I only quoted Huff citing what Makdisi wrote about European universities copied from Islamic ones - but your blogger only cited Makdisi's quote. I should have stated that MacCulloch, Dalrymple and Makdisi disagree with your blogger, and that Huff also states what Makdisi says about European universities copying from Islamic ones.

Your blogger perhaps should have quoted Huff and not Makdisi. But that's not my problem, is it?

So, your blogger quotes Makdisi selectively and ignores the 18 points which Makdisi says were copied across. Focusing on the aspects that he says were innovations doesn't address the initial premise made by the blogger.

There's no disputing this fact - so thank you again for pointing out the details of what European Universities did indeed copy from Islamic schools. Ergo, premise by blogger debunked. Comprehensively.

Nothing's changed, has it?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk