Religion And Babies- Rosling On TED

Topic locked
Religion and Babies- Rosling on TED Jun 03, 2012
Another excellent talk by Hans Rosling - this time on Religion and Babies, and about the growth of the world population.

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Religion And Babies- Rosling On TED Jun 03, 2012
Thanks for posting!
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Thanks for sharing! :P

By the way....babies does not have a capital B :oops:

--- Jun 03, 2012 ---

shafique wrote:Religion and Babies,

:P
Rumplestiliskin
BANNED

Nucleus wrote:Thanks for posting!

You're most welcome. Have you seen his earlier talks?

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Wow, It would be extremely interesting inf. if it came from any guy except Shafique the Matolla. Everybody knows that there are a lie, a holy lie and statististics. The last one is very peculiar in some countries. But it would be Ok if it did not contradict with my own life experience.

Let me share a story that happend a few years ago. There were 20 students in the English lesson in the British Council in Dubai and a teacher ask us to stand in a row according to quantity of siblings. The bloody Russian with no sibling was the first one but there are only locals with 9 to 12 brothers and sisters on the other end of the row. I don't know whether the later were Muslim or Christian though but they all worn white or black clothers.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Re: Religion And Babies- Rosling On TED Jun 04, 2012
Red Chief wrote:Let me share a story that happend a few years ago.
How many years ago?
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

2 or 3
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Red Chief wrote:2 or 3
I don't know... I like to believe the guy in the Ted talk. I have watched this talk yesterday and it is very optimistic.

Regarding your experience it's anecdotal - in the sense that it is not scientific to generalise your personal experience and perceive it as global reality.
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Red Chief wrote:Wow, It would be extremely interesting inf. if it came from any guy except Shafique the Matolla.

Strange perception.. I thought the speaker was Hans Rosling, not Shafique the Matolla :) . Anyways if you wish we would welcome you to be our next Chief the Matolla and promise that we would never make anything submitted by you, less interesting than what it is worth.. :)
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Red Chief wrote: there are only locals with 9 to 12 brothers and sisters on the other end of the row.
How old were they. Over last 20 years birth rates have been consistantly coming down.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

It was a course for adults. So they were around 30 years old. I also don't know whether all siblings of each individual had been brought by one woman or not. At least I know one local who has 4 older children from the first and 3 younger once from the second wife.

Both of them were not local at the time of marriage.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

The Queen has 5 children. Her parents only had 2.

RC - do you remember your statistics/maths classes? You do understand what an average is?

When the average number of children per woman is high or low, there will be women in that society who have no children, some will have only one, others will have a larger number. The average will reflect the proportions of these women in the society. Finding a few with large number or no children is to be expected.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Shafique , pls. spare me from your generalities. Scientific way means "how data were received" or simplier what stuff were really measured. It was not shown.

Moreover, there is a blue bubble on the place of Russia, which means a country with predominantly Christian population but I know that there is no any official stat about religion in Russia. It was not asked in any population census.

That's why all this finding looks too optimistic for me.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

If you watch it again, you'll hear Rosling specify that the data IS reliable - as it largely comes from census data and not sampling.

I am pretty sure that census data for Russia on numbers of children is available, and that religions of Russia is available from sources other than a census. (And the point is moot anyway, he's arguing that the colour of the bubble doesn't matter, after all.)

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion - but Hans is talking about the evidence.

cheers,
Shafique

Edit: Indeed, the religious make up of Russia is pretty unanimously majority Christian according to various sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Russia
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk