Racist, Homophobic And Intolerant

Topic locked
Racist, Homophobic and Intolerant Jan 23, 2011
Times are indeed a changing.

There was a time when the press in the USA would happily regurgitate the spin of a plucky nation, bent on peace, surrounded by bloodthirsty Arab neighbours and with the most moral army in the world etc.

Nowadays, the mask has slipped.. but what is clear to the LA Times and Haaretz newspaper, is still denied by some die-hard fans of the state in question. I'm sure that the substance of the report will not be addressed, but rather there will either be silence or the messenger(s) will be attacked. :roll:

L.A. Times on Israel: Rising racism, homophobia and discrimination
Major U.S. newspaper follows what it calls is a recent 'wave of intolerance' that is washing the country.
By Haaretz Service

Racist, homophobic, and discriminatory, that's the way Israel is portrayed in a new feature published by the Los Angeles Times on Sunday, following what the paper calls as a "wave of intolerance toward people of different races, religions, orientations and viewpoints" that is washing the country.

The L.A. Times piece comes in the wake of several social issues that have plagued Israel in recent weeks and months – including a rabbinical letter forbidding renting apartments to Arabs, an attack on a Tel Aviv gay and lesbian youth club, Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman's controversial loyalty oath bill, as well as an on-going debate on Israel's official policy toward migrant workers.

Writing of what it called "a wave of intolerance," the piece describes Israelis as "grappling with their nation's identity and character," adding that to some "the timing of the rising intolerance is surprising.

"The number of terrorist attacks in Israel dropped last year to its lowest level in more than a decade, and Israel's economy is growing faster than those of most other countries," the L.A. times wrote.

One Israeli politician, the Labor Party's Daniel Ben Simon, saw a connection between the relative lull in regional violence and Israel's social woes, telling the L.A. Times that "the stronger the external tension, the more repressed the internal tension."

"Any lull in outside pressure causes the internal ones to rise…. This led people to feel that if they're squared off with the outside and feel secure enough, 'Let's fight a bit,'" Ben-Simon was quoted as saying.

The U.S. newspaper also quotes Bambi Sheleg, founder of social affairs magazine A Different Country [Eretz Acheret], who said "extremist viewpoints are receiving more attention."

"Israeli society consists of a gigantic center," she told the L.A. Times, adding that, however, "there is no one to lead it and its voice isn't heard."

"We are on the threshold of the understanding that we all have to live here together and compromise," she said. "These are growing pains."

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-d ... n-1.338687

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Racist, Homophobic And Intolerant Jan 23, 2011
Oh when I read the thread title I though it was about BM :D

Anyways back on topic, it would nice if there was link to the LA article to read exactly what was being said there
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

^Here's the link to the LA Times piece.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 8504.story

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

desertdudeshj wrote:Oh when I read the thread title I though it was about BM :D

Anyways back on topic, it would nice if there was link to the LA article to read exactly what was being said there

And when I posted the topic 'Pakistani men prey on young white women' I thought of you munchkin :D

Anyways back on topic, more anti-semetic sh1te from a jew hater.
Bethsmum

Are you confusing the LA times for Nick Griffin?

LOL

As I predicted
shafique wrote: I'm sure that the substance of the report will not be addressed, but rather there will either be silence or the messenger(s) will be attacked. :roll:

:mrgreen:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Racist, Homophobic and Intolerant Jan 23, 2011
Messenger? Don't tell me you see yourself as the next prophet? LOLx2
Bethsmum

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Racist, Homophobic and Intolerant Jan 23, 2011
Is that you and DDS?
Bethsmum

^And pretty much everyone else reading your comments, I'd say!

;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:^And pretty much everyone else reading your comments, I'd say!

;)

Cheers,
Shafique

really?
Bethsmum

Re: Racist, Homophobic And Intolerant Jan 24, 2011
shafique wrote:As I predicted
shafique wrote: I'm sure that the substance of the report will not be addressed, but rather there will either be silence or the messenger(s) will be attacked. :roll:

So good to be proved right - but I should also have expected the smoke-screen posts/threads too.
:bigsmurf:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Racist, Homophobic and Intolerant Jan 24, 2011
In general jews and Ahmadi's are the canaries in the mine. Israel is of course a special place for jews, but the Ahmadi canary is alive and kicking in Israel.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Racist, Homophobic and Intolerant Jan 24, 2011
^I couldn't resist reading - just to see whether FD addressed the substance of the OP or whether it would be another of his 'one sentence' specials.

I was surprised to see it was a 2 sentence special... .but wasn't surprised that it had nothing to do with the LA Times assessment. ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Racist, Homophobic and Intolerant Jan 25, 2011
What is also interesting (on top of my prediction) is how this story has spawned a flurry of activity from the usual suspects - including starting threads based on 5 year old articles about 'Moooslims' hating Jews in Britain.

Hmm. Coincidence?.. I think not!

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:What is also interesting (on top of my prediction) is how this story has spawned a flurry of activity from the usual suspects - including starting threads based on 5 year old articles about 'Moooslims' hating Jews in Britain.

You have to make up your mind which thead 'started' it, as you keep on posting the same message in different threads and then delete it again.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Racist, Homophobic And Intolerant Jan 25, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:
shafique wrote:^And pretty much everyone else reading your comments, I'd say!

;)

Cheers,
Shafique

really?

Utter rubbish.... Most of the time we adore reading ur posts until ur fascination for Israel kicks in. It's something I've noticed with almost all well-read, opinionated, middle-aged British women. Could never understand the fascination.

With Shafique on the other hand it's almost a perennial state of face-palm, that is so long as he's speaking politics. On the rare occasion he does venture out into the more mundane general forums, he comes across as one heck of a guy.

Maybe there's a message here for both of you...stay away from freaking politicssssssss.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

^MCL - I should have specified that I was referring to BM's comments in this thread only - not her general posts on life etc. Immigration and Israel bring out some strong views - and there's nothing wrong with that as long we stay civil.

The double face palm was only about this thread.

As for my non-politics posts being of a different nature than posts elsewhere - I'd have to agree and too many in the past have been of a troll baiting nature. Things have quietened down a bit lately thanks to the foe list. ;)

The threads started more recently have largely been about positive diplomatic moves - but this particular thread was too big a news item to pass over. And given the 'flurry' I referred to above, it struck a few raw nerves too. ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk