Rabbi: Israel's Pit Of Racism

Topic locked
Rabbi: Israel's pit of racism Dec 29, 2010
In what is becoming a flood of condemnation for the racist elements within Israel's establishment - Rabbi Kariv, Head of the Reform Judaism movement doesn't mince his words when he says Israel is "falling into a deep, dark pit of racism and xenophobia."

The comment comes as 30 wives of Rabbis have publically come out and stated that Jewish girls should segregate themselves from Arab men. Now, had they just talked about segregation from men in general - we could have discussed this in the religion section - but as the Rabbi points out, the point of reference was race - hence the apt label of racism:

Head Reform rabbi: Israeli society is falling into a deep pit of racism
Rabbi Gilad Kariv condemns letter by 30 rabbis' wives calling on Jewish girls to stay away from Arab men.
By Chaim Levinson

The head of Israel's Reform Judaism movement on Tuesday harshly criticized a letter by 30 rabbis' wives calling on Jewish girls not to date Arabs, work with them or perform national service in the same places where they work.

"Israeli society is falling into a deep, dark pit of racism and xenophobia," said Rabbi Gilad Kariv, who two weeks ago also vocally condemned a move by a number of leading rabbis who signed on a ruling to forbid renting homes to Arabs.

The rabbis' wives' statement was made in a letter organized by Lehava, an organization aimed at what it calls "saving the daughters of Israel" from assimilation. The group runs a shelter for Jewish women who have left their Arab partners and is calling for a boycott of a supermarket in Gush Etzion that employs Arab men and Jewish women.

Though parts of the letter refer to non-Jews in a generic way, other parts make it clear that the rabbis' wives - including Esther Lior, the wife of Rabbi Dov Lior of Kiryat Arba, and Nitzhia Yosef, the wife of Rabbi Yaakov Yosef of Jerusalem and daughter-in-law of Shas spiritual leader Rabbi Ovadia Yosef - are referring specifically to Arabs.

"Don't date non-Jews, don't work in places where there are non-Jews, and don't perform national service together with non-Jews," the letter urges.
In some of the places where Jewish girls might work, like supermarkets or hospitals, "there are no few Arab workers who use a Hebrew name," it states. "Yusuf turns into Yossi, Samir turns into Sami and Abed turns into Ami. They seek your company, try to get you to like them, and give you all the attention in the world."

But that won't last, the letter warns: "As soon as you're in their hands, in their village, under their control, everything changes."

The letter comes on the heels of a letter earlier this month endorsed by dozens of municipal rabbis that urged Jews not to rent or sell homes to non-Jews.

A protest in Bat Yam this month previously coupled the real estate issue with warnings that Jewish women should stay away from Arab men, though no convincing evidence was provided to indicate that such a phenomenon exists on a broad scale or that an increasing number of Jews are dating Arabs.

"Your grandmothers never dreamed or prayed that one of their descendants would commit an act that would remove future generations of her family from the Jewish people," the women's letter states.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/he ... m-1.333996

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Rabbi: Israel's pit of racism Dec 29, 2010
Its very sad when religion dictates not to mix with others or marry others.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Rabbi: Israel's Pit Of Racism Dec 29, 2010
Religions which do assert a criteria on who to mix with and and who to marry, often do that to prevent dilution of those beliefs in future generations , and to prevent unsanctioned practices from seeping in to the religion due to lack of understanding of it.

The reason is noble and has a purpose
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:Religions which do assert a criteria on who to mix with and and who to marry, often do that to prevent dilution of those beliefs in future generations , and to prevent unsanctioned practices from seeping in to the religion due to lack of understanding of it.

Its done from a supremacy point of view, nothing noble about it.

I can somehow understand it from a survival point of view, like the Druze.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

FD - I'm with you on the supremacy point of view.

I don't see an issue with relaxing dress codes when in the company of the same s.ex (of whatever religion or race) - and indeed see the fact that there is a dress code when members of the opposite s.ex are in the same company as a strong indication that religions don't prohibit the s.exes meeting.

I also don't think there's anything wrong with wanting certain characteristics in your life partner - be it hair colour, political views, looks or indeed religion. Religions are also free, in my opinion, to set their rules for who 'belongs' and who is excluded - as long as people are free to make the choice to remain and abide by the rules or choose to not follow the rules and therefore not be counted as among the 'believers' - i.e. be a non-practicing Jew, Christian or Muslim.

The Druze are no different from other ethnic groups that wish to preserve their uniqueness - they just happen to also share a religion, but are now are just a sub-section of the Arabs, as for centuries they haven't allowed converts to their religion (which itself is an offshoot of Ishmaeli shia Islam).

What is interesting here is that within the Jewish community there are such strong views on either side of the debate - those who see this as racism and those who view it as more benign.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Flying Dutchman wrote:Its done from a supremacy point of view, nothing noble about it.

Perhaps supremacy in maintaining the understanding of religion, and that is the noble aspect so that the understanding is not lost. But supremacy in terms of any other characteristic I would agree is reprehensible
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

shafique wrote:I don't see an issue with relaxing dress codes when in the company of the same s.ex (of whatever religion or race) -

:)
hmm in todays world, I wonder how far a mu'min lady can relax her dress code sitting opposite a lesbian for example...
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

^I'd say taking off an abaya and uncovering one's hair would count as 'relaxing' - from what my wife tells me, it is usually the clothes and hairstyles that the ladies want to flaunt when among other ladies... so to take more off sort of defeats this point... but hey, I've only my wife's word for that!!

I do know what my wife and mother (and other close relatives) wear around the house though - and that's still pretty modest by today's standards. ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Rabbi: Israel's pit of racism Dec 29, 2010
Israel's defence minister, Ehud Barak, agrees with the Rabbi - saying that the racist letters would lead to a wave of racism:

Barak: Anti-Arab letters by rabbis and rabbis’ wives leading Israel into dark place

During the last month, several letters have been published urging Jews not to date, lease or rent to Arabs, African refugees or migrant workers.

By Mazal Mualem

Defense Minister Ehud Barak warned on Wednesday that anti-Arab letters signed by rabbis and wives' of rabbis would lead to a wave of racism that would threaten to "take over" Israeli society.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/ba ... e-1.334093

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Rabbi: Israel's Pit Of Racism Dec 30, 2010
zubber wrote:Religions which do assert a criteria on who to mix with and and who to marry, often do that to prevent dilution of those beliefs in future generations , and to prevent unsanctioned practices from seeping in to the religion due to lack of understanding of it.

Just like how the Catholic church shuns birth control so that families can produce lots of Catholic babies. Celibate clergy and the Pope find it noble, but I'm not so sure about all the Catholic families who have to try to support and raise so many children. (Not to mention other ill effects on society.)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk