Palestine/Israel - Quiz Questions

Topic locked
Palestine/Israel - Quiz Questions Jan 05, 2012
This list of quiz questions was posted by me a while back in the linked thread below (relating to the diplomatic moves the Palestinians are making towards freeing themselves from the Military Occupation by Israel).

It highlights verifiable facts which make for uncomfortable reading for those championing the pro-Israeli tactics of trying to demean the legitimacy of the Palestinians.

Can You Pass The Israel-Palestine Quiz?
By Jeffrey Rudolph

22/06/08 "ICH" -- - The Israel-Palestine conflict resonates deeply with many people. Opinions are sharply divided and generally unchangeable. However, as a member of a mainstream Israeli peace group, I often encounter opinionated people who are ignorant of many basic facts. And, while much concerning the conflict remains disputed, there are important, undisputed facts which must underlie any coherent opinion.

Therefore, in the spirit of Senator Daniel Moynihan of New York, who used to remind people that “Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts,” I have designed the below quiz which may lead some to reexamine their misconceived opinions. (Indeed, I will deem the quiz a success if it merely reduces the number of times I hear the common refrains of: “the land was empty before the Jews came” and “Barak made a generous offer at Camp David.”)

While it is undoubtedly true that carefully selected facts alone do not constitute an informed opinion, answers to the following questions should not be ignored if one is to understand the Israel-Palestine conflict. And, while a strong commitment to a cause can blind some people to contrary facts, I appeal to such people through the words of the famous British economist, John Maynard Keynes: “When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?

THE ISRAEL-PALESTINE QUIZ QUESTIONS:

1. Who wrote the following in 1891? “We abroad are used to believing Eretz Yisrael is now almost totally desolate, a desert that is not sowed, and anyone who wishes to purchase land there may come and purchase as much as he desires. But in truth this is not the case. Throughout the country, it is difficult to find fields that are not sowed. Only sand dunes and stony mountains that are not fit to grow anything but fruit trees – and this only after hard labor and great expense …”

2. Who declared the following in 1930? “Land is the most necessary thing for our establishing roots in Palestine. Since there are hardly any more arable unsettled lands in Palestine, we are bound in each case of the purchase of land and its settlement to remove the peasants who cultivated the land so far, both owners of the land and tenants.”

3. Who, in 1919, wrote the following, in a secret memorandum submitted to the British cabinet? “For in Palestine we do not propose even to go through the form of consulting the wishes of the present inhabitants of the country [i.e., we do not accept the principle of self-determination for the Arabs of Palestine] … the four great powers are committed to Zionism. And Zionism, be it right or wrong, good or bad, is rooted in age-long traditions, in present needs, in future hopes, of far profounder import than the desires and prejudices of the 700,000 Arabs who now inhabit that ancient land …”

4. According to Mandatory Palestine's first modern census, conducted in 1922, approximately what percentage of the total population were Jews?

5. Approximately what percentage of Mandatory Palestine's inhabitants were Jews in 1947?

6. Approximately what percentage of Mandatory Palestine's land was allocated for the Jewish state by the 1947 United Nations Partition Plan (which supported the division of Palestine into a Jewish state and an Arab state)?

7. Approximately what percentage of Mandatory Palestine's land was owned by Jews at the time of the 1947 UN Partition Plan?

8. Which state, the Jewish State or Arab State, was to include Jerusalem according to the 1947 UN Partition Plan?

9. During the 1948-49 War, approximately how many Arabs fled or were ejected from the areas that became the Jewish state?

10. After the 1948-49 Arab-Israeli War, approximately what percentage of Mandatory Palestine=s land was part of the Jewish state?

11. After the 1967 Arab-Israeli War, what percentage of Mandatory Palestine=s land was part of, or occupied by, Israel?

12. Which future prime minister of Israel wrote the following in October 1937? “My assumption is that … a partial Jewish state is not an end but a beginning … and it will serve as a powerful lever in our historical efforts to redeem the whole of the country.”

13. From Israel's victory in the 1967 War to the Likud's electoral victory in 1977, approximately how many Jewish settlers migrated to East Jerusalem and to the West Bank and Gaza Strip?

14. At the time of the signing of the Oslo Declaration of Principles in September 1993, approximately how many Jewish settlers lived in East Jerusalem and the West Bank?

15. When the Camp David Summit began in July 2000, approximately how many Jewish settlers lived in East Jerusalem and the West Bank?

16. In 2007, approximately how many Jewish settlers and how many Palestinians lived in Hebron?

17. Approximately what percentage of West Bank land is consumed by Israeli settlements and related infrastructure such as a separate road network for Israeli settlers and the Wall?

18. Approximately how many Lebanese civilians were killed by Israel during its 1982 invasion of Lebanon?

19. Approximately how many cluster sub-munitions (bomblets) were dropped by Israel on Lebanon in the last few days of the 2006 Lebanon confrontation?

20. Who said the following in 1998? "If I were a young Palestinian, it is possible I would join a terrorist organization."

21. Who wrote the following September 18, 1967 Top Secret memo, concerning Settlement in the Administered (or Occupied) Territories, to Mr. Adi Yafeh, Political Secretary of the Prime Minister of Israel? “As per your request ... I hereby provide you a copy of my memorandum of September 14, 1967, which I presented to the Foreign Minister. My conclusion is that civilian settlement in the administered territories contravenes the explicit provisions of the Fourth Geneva Convention.”

22. Who wrote the following passage, in an article in one of Israel’s leading newspapers, in 2002? “The Six-Day War was forced upon us; however, the war's seventh day, which began on June 12, 1967 and has continued to this day, is the product of our choice. We enthusiastically chose to become a colonial society, ignoring international treaties, expropriating lands, transferring settlers from Israel to the occupied territories, engaging in theft and finding justification for all these activities. Passionately desiring to keep the occupied territories, we developed two judicial systems: one - progressive, liberal - in Israel; and the other - cruel, injurious - in the occupied territories. In effect, we established an apartheid regime in the occupied territories immediately following their capture. That oppressive regime exists to this day.”

23. Who wrote the following passage in his 2006 book? “For, regardless of party loyalties and according to most studies, the overwhelming majority of Israelis would support a peace settlement that is based on the Clinton parameters--two states, withdrawal from territories, massive dismantling of settlements, two capitals in Jerusalem--but they trust neither their political system nor, of course, the Palestinian leadership to come to an accommodation on that basis. Which may explain the results of a poll conducted in 2002 by the Steinmetz Centre for Peace at Tel Aviv University indicating that, convinced of the incapacity of their political system to produce solutions, 67% of Israeli Jews would support an American effort to recruit an international alliance that would coax the parties into endorsing such a settlement.”

24. Who stated the following on Democracy Now!, a news program, on February 14, 2006? “…Camp David was not the missed opportunity for the Palestinians, and if I were a Palestinian I would have rejected Camp David, as well. … But Taba is [another matter] …”

25. Who said the following? "One million Arabs are not worth a Jewish fingernail."

THE ISRAEL-PALESTINE QUIZ ANSWERS:

1. Ahad Ha'Am: Liberal Russian Jewish thinker and a leading Eastern European Jewish essayist.

2. Dr. Arthur Ruppin: Head of the Zionists’ Land Settlement Department and the foremost land expert of the Jewish Agency.

3. Lord Balfour: As British Foreign Secretary, he was responsible for the Balfour Declaration in 1917 which promised Zionists a national home in Palestine.

4. 11%.

5. 37%.

6. 56%.

7. 7%: Perhaps Arab rejection of the Partition Plan is more understandable when it is recognized that 37% of the population was given 56% percent of the land of which they owned only 7%.

8. Neither.

9. 700,000. Only 150,000 Arabs remained in Israel at the war’s end.

10. 78%.

11. 100%.

12. Ben-Gurion, in a letter to his son, Amos.

13. 38,000.

14. 267,000.

15. 365,000: Yet, the Oslo 2 accords specified that “neither side shall initiate or take any step that will change the status of the West Bank and the Gaza Strip pending the outcome of the permanent status negotiations.”

16. 500 and 170,000, respectively.

17. 40%.

18. 10,000.

19. Four million bomblets were contained in hundreds of thousands of cluster bombs. The following was stated by the UN humanitarian chief, Jan Egeland, soon after the war ended: “What is shocking and completely immoral is 90% of the cluster bomb strikes occurred in the last 72 hours of the conflict, when we knew there would be a resolution …” According to the UN mine action coordination centre for South Lebanon, by December 19, 2006, 18 people had been killed and 145 injured since the ceasefire in August.

20. Ehud Barak: Prime minister of Israel from 1999 – 2001.

21. Theodor Meron: One of the world's most eminent international jurists; and in 1967 he was a legal adviser at the Israeli Foreign Ministry. Meron's clear recommendation was that the prohibition was "categorical and aimed at preventing colonisation of conquered territory by citizens of the conquering state."

22. Michael Ben-Yair: Israel's Attorney-General, 1993-1996.

23. Shlomo Ben-Ami: Israel’s Minister of Public Security in 1999, Minister of Foreign Affairs from 2000-2001, and Israel’s top negotiator at Camp David and Taba negotiations.

24. Shlomo Ben-Ami: As Israel’s lead negotiator at the negotiations, he should know.

25. Rabbi Yaacov Perrin: Stated at his eulogy of Dr. Baruch Goldstein, the American Jewish settler who, on February 25, 1994, entered the Tomb of Patriarchs in Hebron and opened fire on Muslim worshippers praying. Twenty-nine Palestinians were killed and many more wounded. In the riots that followed the massacre, another 9 Palestinians were killed.

dubai-politics-talk/palarab-history-quiz-t42737.html#p343524

And here's another list of facts relating to the Israeli occupation - none of these facts have been disproved by FD et al:

1. Israel has made no concessions in the peace negotiations - it has been all the Palestinians
2. Israel broke the truce and lied about why it was bombing Gaza and killing civilians (by saying Hamas broke the truce)
3. Israel have 78% of the land and Palestinians are settling for 22% - but Israel is reluctant to settle for this and seems to want more - specfically building more illegal colonies in the 22% that is not Israel.
4. Israel is unequivocably breaking international law in East Jerusalem by annexing it.
5. B'tselem say Israel in East Jerusalem is discriminating against the non-Israeli residents.
dubai-politics-talk/palestine-push-for-independence-t39413-270.html

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Palestine/Israel - Quiz Questions Jan 05, 2012
shafique wrote:This list of quiz questions was posted by me a while back in the linked thread below

Are you telling porkies again Shaf?
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

My bad - I only included the 2nd of the two links. Corrected that now above.

Interesting to note that none of the facts in the Quiz seem to have been disputed at the time I first posted them.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:My bad

Yes, so the first sentence of your post was already a porky pie.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

LOL - missing out a link is hardly a lie, and in any case, the post is now complete. The only one caught out in a bare faced lie today has been eh.

Now, let's see whether this time round you can dispute any of the facts in the list. The last time you didn't dispute the facts - just reeled out the line about only Palestinian Jews calling emphasising they were Palestinians.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Interesting quiz indeed in your new correct link:

1. Where did the Yaman and Qais tribes, who fought a bloody feud for hundreds of years in Palestine, come from, respectively?

A. Ancient Canaan and Philistia
B. Yemen and Northern Arabia
C. Syria and Transjordan
D. Yemen and Egypt

2, According to John MacGregor, who visited Palestine in the 1870s, what was the worst insult that an Arab could hurl at another Arab?

A. Dog
B. Pig
C. Monkey
D. Jew

3. What was the year of the first organized Arab attack against a Jewish settlement?

A. 1852
B. 1886
C. 1921
D. 1929

4. What was the year of the first official Arab boycott of Jewish businesses in Palestine?

A. 1909
B. 1921
C. 1936
D. 1946

5. In the early 1930s, tens of thousands of people from what country illegally immigrated into Palestine because of a severe drought?

A. Russia
B. Poland
C. Syria
D. Egypt

6. Who gave a live radio broadcast to the attendees of the Palestine Pavilion in the 1939 New York World's Fair?

A. Hajj Amin Husseini
B. Winston Churchill
C. Fawzi al-Qawuqji
D. Chaim Weizmann

7. Two teams of Nazis parachuted into Palestine in 1944. Each team included one person who had what in common?

A. Jews who bargained their lives to avoid death camps
B. Arab ringleaders of the 1936 uprising who fled to Nazi Germany
C. British Nazi-sympathizers
D. Iraqi collaborators

8. What were "boycott bombs"?

A. Bombs against Arab businesses by Jews
B. Bombs against Jewish businesses by Arabs
C. Bombs against Arab businesses by Arabs
D. Bombs against Arabs by Jewish victims of the Arab boycott

9. Who collaborated with the Arab side in the 1948 War of Independence?

A. Escaped Nazi prisoners of war
B. WWII French Resistance fighters
C. Members of the British Union of Fascists
D. Soviet spies

10. Who were the first refugees forced to flee their homes in the days leading up to the 1948 War?

A. Jews from Jaffa
B. Arabs from Deir Yassin
C. Arabs from Jaffa
D. Jews from Jerusalem

Answers with links:
1. B
2. D
3. B
4. A
5. C
6. D
7. B
8. C
9. A and C
10. A (Palestine Post pageviews gone at the moment)
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

So, no comments on the facts in the quiz on my list I note. Elder of Zyion's quiz was a response to that one - and back then I invited the readers to compare and contrast the two. (eh posted the quiz you quoted, not me)

Elder's very selective quotes and attempts at misinformation was clearly exposed - but curiously, as noted, no comments on this fact from yourself and eh - usually you are so up-front about your support for Israel.

Perhaps this time round you'll address the facts?

For example, do you dispute the fact that only 38,000 colonists/settlers had gone to East Jerusalem, the West Bank and Gaza between 1967 and 1977 - and now it is hundreds of thousands? (Q13 - 16)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:For example, do you dispute the fact that only 38,000 colonists/settlers had gone to East Jerusalem, the West Bank and Gaza between 1967 and 1977 - and now it is hundreds of thousands? (Q13 - 16)

It wouldn't surprise me. So according to the quiz, below quote:

"Oslo 2 accords specified that "neither side shall initiate or take any step that will change the status of the West Bank and the Gaza Strip pending the outcome of the permanent status negotiations."

...means Israel is not allowed to built. If so (which I dispute), Arabs are also not allowed to built.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Great - we don't dispute the facts that fewer than 40,000 'settlers' / colonists were in the land under Military Occupation in 1977.

I'm not sure I can see the link between the massive influx of illegal colonists since then - roughly ten-fold increase - and a view that those living under occupation shouldn't be allowed to build in their land? Seems a bit odd that you're arguing that Arabs living under occupation have fallen foul of Oslo - have they stolen any Israeli land since Oslo 2? Where? When?

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:illegal colonists

I wouldn't call them colonists, but ok. Illegal? Jews living in Judea and Samaria have every right to live there.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Interesting opinion. I'll side with the judges etc that cite international law about what Military Occupiers are allowed to do with land under Military Occupation.

But that's not one of the facts listed in the Quiz - is it? The fact listed there is that roughly 90% of the settlers/colonists only arrived in these occupied lands after 1977.

Do you have any objections/refutations to any of the other facts?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

9 During the 1948-49 War, approximately how many Arabs fled or were ejected from the areas that became the Jewish state?

The far majority of Arabs were not ejected. The far majority who left, have never seen a Jewish soldiers. They left on their own accord. The history of Abbas' familty is a lie p.e. , they were not expelled, they left by their own. The great Pali lie!
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

The question is 'fled OR were ejected'. Please read more carefully.

Now, I thought you were going to discuss the numbers given - for those leaving or ejected (and in any case if you own the land, you own the land - unless you sell it. If it is taken from you, it is stolen).

But let's also be clear that some Arabs were indeed expelled:
As historians of the 1948 war know well, the Haganah prepared in March 1948 a strategic plan (the Dalet or “fourth” plan) to deal with the imminent invasion of Palestine by the Arab countries. A major aim of the plan was to form a continuous territory joining the lands held by the Jewish settlements. The plan clearly states that if Arab villages violently opposed the Jewish attempt to gain control, their populations would be expelled. The text was first made public in Israel in 1972 as an appendix to the last volume of the semiofficial History of the Haganah.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Palestine/Israel - Quiz Questions Jan 06, 2012
When I watched Ben Hur the other night, there wasn't a Palestinian in sight. Just saying...
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

It wouldn't surprise me at all if some claim Ben Hur is a Pali. Pali's have a strong tendency of rewriting history.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sorry, I think you're mistaking me for herve - he's the fiction writer. Can you at least try and stick to the topic - or just concede that you can't contest any of the facts listed in the Quiz. Joan Peters was also a great one to invent Zionist myths - so at least be fair and denounce the Israeli myths too.. like the one exposed in Q1 which shows that in the 19th century the land wasn't empty as the myths have it.

Question 7 is also quite enlightening - in 1947 only 7% of the land was owned by Jewish Palestinians, and yet now Israel has 78% of the land - and occupies 22%.

Here are the maps from the BBC website to illustrate - first the 55%/45% split, then 78%/22% and the effects of illegal annexation of East Jerusalem:

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:in 1947 only 7% of the land was owned by Jewish Palestinians, and yet now Israel has 78% of the land

We know how much you like to play with numbers Shaf. How much land was owned by Arabs in 1947?

By the way you are comparing private and national ownership. This has been pointed out to you once already, so I'll chalk this off as yet another attempt of deceipt.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Why is stating a fact a deceipt? Why do you seem to always resort to innuendo and slander rather than produce facts yourself?

The land owned by Jewish Palestinians amounted to 7% of the land, and now Israel has 78% of the land. These are facts.

As for the breakdowns - in the official record from 1943:
British Mandate: A Survey of Palestine: Volume II - Page 566, Table 2
Jews owned 1.5m Dunnums and 'Arabs and other non-Jews' owned 24.7m Dunums - i.e. 6.07%. The categorisation is by the British Government.
http://www.palestineremembered.com/Arti ... y7011.html

This map breaks down the figures in 1945 further:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:The land owned by Jewish Palestinians amounted to 7% of the land, and now Israel has 78% of the land.

The first is a number based on private ownership, the second is national ownership. How much land was owned by Arabs in 1947?
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Did you not see the facts in the map above FD? Are figures there wrong - very little of the districts had much public ownership, 2% of Jerusalem was Public, 84% Arab and 14% Jewish.

Ben Gurion stated the following at the UN on 4 July 1947, was he wrong?:
There are some 600,000 Jews in Palestine and some 1,100,000 Arabs. ..The Arabs own 94% of the land, the Jews only 6%.

http://unispal.un.org/unispal.nsf/0/773 ... enDocument

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Actually Shaf, in 1947, around 70% of Mandate land was public property! It appears you need a 101 in the differense between private and public.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

So Ben Gurion was wrong in his statment to the UN in July 1947? Perhaps he should also have gone to the class you suggest.

So - let me understand your point - about 24% of the land was owned by Arabs, 70% Public land and 6% by Jewish Palestinians. Is that right? Can we have your source for this figure please?

My link above is showing that Ben Gurion states that the Arabs own 94% of the land. Can you explain his error?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:My link above is showing that Ben Gurion states that the Arabs own 94% of the land. Can you explain his error?

If thats a quote from Ben-Gurion, he is dead wrong.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Palestine/Israel - Quiz Questions Jan 07, 2012
It is a verbatim quote from Ben Gurion - delivered at the United Nations.

Can you give me the source of your 70% figure as requested? I gave you the link to Ben Gurion's verbatim speech and also links to the official reports listing the % land ownership figures, after all.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:Can you give me the source of your 70% figure as requested?

No problem, despite the fact you refuse until now to give the numbers for Arab land ownership,

In 1947, the total Jewish ownership of land in Palestine was 1,850,000 dunams or 1,850 square kilometers, which is 7.04% of the total land of Palestine.[24] Public property or "crown lands", the bulk of which was in the Negev, belonging to the government of Palestine may have made up as much as 70% of the total land; with the Arabs, Christians and others owning the rest.[25]

Above quote from wiki is traced to:

Moshe Aumann, "Land Ownership in Palestine 1880 - 1948," in Michael Curtis, Joseph Neyer, Chaim Waxman, Allen Pollack eds., The Palestinians: People, History, Politics (New Brunswick, N.J.: Transaction Books, 1975), p. 29.

What is the % of Arab land ownership in 1947?
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Hold on. I quoted an official government publication giving the land ownership figures exactly: British Mandate: A Survey of Palestine: Volume II - Page 566, Table 2, and confirming Jewish Palestinian land ownership figure.

You give a Wiki quote which links to to book which you haven't read (and we still don't have the source for this 70% figure - from which land survey etc it came from) ... AND then note that the quote only says
may have made up as much as 70%

Now compare that with the ACTUAL figures for public ownership of land shown in the map quoted above. No 'may be's' in that map.

Nice one FD. I especially liked the part where you tried to make out that I was the one not giving references. LOL.

What is the matter with your spin machine these days - seems to misfiring all the time now. ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

FD, you're not going to like the answer- and yet again, you should have checked your sources.

It appears that Ben Gurion was correct and that your wiki quote from Aumann is nothing but spin.

Well, let's see where this 70% figure from Aumann comes from.

First, here is his leaflet in full:
http://wordfromjerusalem.com/wp-content ... endix2.pdf

He cites as reference:
Government of Palestine, Survey of Palestine, 1946, British Government Printer, p. 257

Which, interestingly enough - is the same survey used to produce the map above.

So, let's go to pg 257:
http://www.palestineremembered.com/Arti ... y6698.html

Read that page and the preceding pages and we see that the land Aumann is calling public land is actually land that is owned by Palestinian Arabs under the 'miri' category - i.e. indefinite leases where the rent is the obligation to pay taxes - i.e. the land is in fact owned on a freehold basis. This is the same system as in the UK - the ultimate owner is the crown, but you own the freehold.

You see how your spin has failed you again? The map I posted above (fully referenced) is correct, Aumann is leading you on a merry dance. (And his leaflet is just propaganda and spin, after all - the source disagrees with his spin).

Fail.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:It appears that Ben Gurion was correct

shafique wrote:The map I posted above (fully referenced) is correct

It is completely impossible that the quote and map are correct at the same time!

Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

They are, I suggest you go and read the links given and understand how Aumann has misled you.

Note what the report actually says on pg 257 about public land - that it is predominantly land leased under the miri conditions. You will also see that it does describe that in the south there is actual public land - which bears out the figures in the map.

I've shown you that Aumann is using the same source material as the maps and tables I've given (and linked to in full).

Your 70% is a work of fiction FD - intended to mislead. Much of that land is actually on indefinite leases (freehold in practice).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk