Norwegian Students Experience Antisemitism

Topic locked
Norwegian students experience Antisemitism Jun 13, 2011
The report shows some are downplaying the antisemitism Jewish students experience.

But the stats show 33.3% of Jews, and 5.3% of Muslims face harassment.

http://theforeigner.no/pages/news/jewis ... m-apology/

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Norwegian students experience Antisemitism Jun 15, 2011
Wow. I thought Europeans were more compassionate and open-minded. :(
Jericho79
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Norwegian students experience Antisemitism Jun 16, 2011
I agree, but in all fairness, it isn't traditional Europeans who are downplaying antisemitism, as the report shows, or most probably harassing Jewish students either.

That's why this will be swept under the rug.
event horizon

Jews are leaving several European cities for Israel or the US, because it became unliveable for them. Its very sad, as they have been very valuable contributors to society, culture and science. I have no doubt there is a strong connection between the increasing Muslim population and the increasing antisemitism in Europe. Of course antisemitism amongst native Europeans does also existent, as it always has. It is mainly (or only) Muslims who harass Jews on the streets though. I call it street-terrorism.
Just to show how deep the hatred is, a new thing among Dutch Morocanns is to shout "jews, jews", when funeral cars drive by. No jews are buried or anything. They just disturb funerals (where no jews are involved), with shouting "jews, jews". There is something very wrong with those people Im telling ya.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

I have no doubt there is a strong connection between the increasing Muslim population and the increasing antisemitism in Europe.

LOL yeah. Europeans discovered a new type of Homo sapiens called mooslims, apparently they are more skilled than Euro sapiens to finish off half the job left over for joos.
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

It looks that way yes, homo jihadus finishing the job of the nazis.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

It will be interesting to see the numbers underlying the statistics.

But there does seem to be a problem with anti-semitism in at least one university (in addition to high schools) - what is interesting is that the problem is not from Muslim Norwegian students but from the non-Muslims:

ANTISEMITISM IN NORWAY: NORWEGIAN JEWISH STUDENT FORCED TO CHANGE UNIVERSITY, COURSE
Published in: Norway, Israel and the Jews February 11, 2011

Vårt Lands brings us a terrifying story about the Jewish student Anja Savosnic, who was forced to give up Hebrew studies at the University of Oslo due to anti-semitic attacks from fellow students.
In a harrowing account she tells a story of how, because of her ethnic, religious background, she is verbally abused, told to burn in Auschwitz, spat upon, held responsible for Israel’s policies among some atrocities.

All of this started because she chose to study Hebrew at the University of Oslo. She says she usually keeps her ethnic, religious identity secret, fearing controversy if people find out about it.

However, at the university, fellow students and others would then ask her why Hebrew, following up with questions whether she is Jewish or not. As a rule she never answers, which makes people draw their own conclusions and then proceed to launch verbal attacks on her.

She quit the University of Oslo and her Hebrew course after two years citing it is too hard to be held personally responsible for whatever Israel does, in addition to outright and old fashioned Jew hatred. She now studies economy at the University College of Oslo.

Interestingly she says she has rarely experienced antisemitism from Muslims. The perpetrators are as a rule ethnic Norwegians.

http://www.spme.net/cgi-bin/articles.cgi?ID=7866

European anti-semitism is usually under-played by Islamophobes. They usually try and put the blame on 'mooslims'! :roll:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

No dount antisemitism on campus is rising to very worriying levels in Europe, the US and Canada. This is mainly executed by the leftist elite. Scandanavia, and Norway especially, has a long sad history of antisemitism no doubt about it. Norways role in WW II and the holocaust is well documented.
That said, rising Muslim populations in Europe are resposible for a large part of the current day antisemitism is Europe. If we only look at Norway:

Antisemitism in Norway has had a distinct history, reaching its apex during the Holocaust in Norway.

On 7 January 2004, the Norwegian newspaper Dagsavisen printed an editorial cartoon that depicted a stereotypical religious Jew rewriting the ten commandments to include "thou shalt murder, kill, liquidate, execute".[32] According to the Israeli Dr. Manfred Gerstenfeld, this cartoon was antisemitic.

[haven't seen any riots: comment inserted by poster FD]

There have been episodes of desecration of the synagogue in Oslo,.[33] On 17 September 2006 the synagogue in Oslo was subjected to attack with an automatic weapon,[34] only days after it was made public that the building had been one the planned target for the Algerian terror group GSPC that had been plotting a bombing campaign in the Norwegian capital.[35] The synagogue in Oslo is under continuous surveillance and protected by barriers. On 2 June 2008 Arfan Qadeer Bhatti was convicted on the shooting attack and given an eight year preventive custody sentence for serious vandalism. The Oslo city court judge could not find sufficient evidence that the shots fired at the synagogue amounted to a terrorist act.[36] In July 2006 during the 2006 Lebanon War the congregation issued an advisory warning Jews not to wear kippot or other identifying items in public for fear of harassment or assault.[37]

[notice how easily antisemitism is excused with the Arab-Israeli conflict: comment inserted by poster FD]

Dr Manfred Gerstenfeld, chairman of the Board of Fellows at the Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs, said that "Norway is the most anti-Semitic country in Scandinavia." Former Prime Minister Kåre Willoch responded to the accusations at the symposium by arguing that allegations of antisemitism is a "traditional deflection tactic aimed at diverting attention from the real problem, which is Israel's well-documented and incontestable abuse of Palestinians

[that sounds very familiar: comment inserted by poster FD]

In January 2009, a Norwegian non-Jewish pro-Israel protester was attacked by anti-Israel protesters rioting in Oslo. Cries such as "take him, he's a Jew" and "freaking Jew" were heard. Fortyfive arrests were made, the majority of which were people of foreign descent

[sounds too familiar unfortunately: comment inserted by poster FD]

In 2010, the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation reported that antisemitic attitudes were prevalent at some Norwegian schools. Teachers at schools with large shares of Muslims revealed that Muslim students often "praise or admire Adolf Hitler for his killing of Jews", that "Jew-hate is legitimate within vast groups of Muslim students" and that "Muslims laugh or demand [teachers] to stop when trying to educate about the Holocaust". Additionally that "while some students might protest when some express support for terrorism, none object when students express hate of Jews" and that it says in "the Quran that you shall kill Jews, all true Muslims hate Jews". Most of these students were said to be born and raised in Norway. One Jewish father also told that his child after school had been taken by a Muslim mob (though managed to escape), reportedly "to be taken out to the forest and hanged because he was a Jew".[49]

Edit: source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism_in_Norway

Jews and Ahmadi's are the canaries in the mine. The first in already dying slowly.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

you see Euro's new generation of sapiens whom are mainly humanitarian look at history forward, what they see is radical joos in israel...well then.. wouldn't you fear your existance in Europe,looking at the power they exhibit in israel..I would..I bloody would be pooing my pants every moment:) thinking how awful life would be if they exercised the same power in Europes future.. you seee...
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Many immigrant groups made valuable contributions to society. Mohammed Bouyeri's claim to fame is that he killed FoS in Holland, as expressed by another DF poster:

Belgiummoroccan wrote:Obviously Muslims got their way, almost nobody dares to crtitzise Islam anymore in Holland.

we muslims are taking over europe.there is even a shari'a court.what a blessing from ALLAH.alhamdulilah!the jews are traveling back to israel because there bussines collapse long time ago in antwerp diamont sector.That's not new!

This is how he did it:

On the morning of Nov. 2 in a busy street in east Amsterdam, a 26-year-old Dutch Moroccan named Mohammed Bouyeri pulled out a gun and shot controversial filmmaker Theo van Gogh, who was riding a bike to his office. Van Gogh hit the ground and stumbled across the street to a nearby building. He didn't make it. As the Moroccan strode toward him, van Gogh shouted, "We can still talk about it! Don't do it! Don't do it." But the Moroccan didn't stop. He shot him again, slit van Gogh's throat and stuck a letter to his chest with a knife. He was slaughtered like an animal, witnesses said.

This was on his chest:

"I know for sure that you, O America, are going to meet with disaster. I know for sure that you, O Europe, are going to meet with disaster. I know for sure that you, O Holland, are going to meet with disaster."

van Gogh had predicted the assassination: "I suspect Fortuyn will be the first in a line of politically incorrect heretics to be eliminated," he wrote. "This is what our multicultural society has brought us: a climate of intimidation in which all sorts of goatfuckers can issue their threats freely." Fortuyn, however, was not shot by a Muslim extremist but by an animal-rights activist for "using Muslims as scapegoats," as the murderer, a quiet, earnest-looking man, later explained in court.

Ten hours after the news of van Gogh's murder, 20,000 people came together on Amsterdam's main square. They stood in shock, hoping this was not the beginning of chaos and the end of free speech.

It did end FoS when it comes to critizising Islam.

In her letter to a Rotterdam newspaper after van Gogh's murder, politician and "Submission" screenwriter Hirsi Ali, who is rumored to be soon returning to public life, wrote: "Theo and I amply discussed the possible consequences of Submission. He said: 'The moment these considerations stop you from speaking out, that's the moment freedom of speech stops and that is exactly what the fundamentalists want us to do."

Now, everybody makes these considerations. And most decide not to speak.

van Gogh always called himself "a fundamentalist when it comes to free speech." On a public radio show in May, he said: "People always tells me I cross the line. But free debate is a war of ideas. It's a place where we should be able to hurt each other."

http://dir.salon.com/news/feature/2004/ ... index.html

Thats what Moroccans brought. Jews are just fine contributors to society.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Given that Norway's anti-semitism is primarily from non-Muslim, non-immigrant Norwegians - at least according to the quote above from a victim of anti-semitism - does this not raise the question whether immigrants who attack Jews are just 'integrating' and picking up on bad European practices?

Whoever, and for whatever reason, commits anti-semitic and/or Islamophobic acts or views are condemned by me. Simple - I don't make excuses for these racist/predjudiced views. I also condemn those who wrongly use these labels to stifle justified criticisms of criminal actions etc.

But, let me know if anyone provides any evidence that contradicts the highlighted quote above about anti-semitism in Norway (that it is a problem caused by 'ethnic' Norwegians, and not immigrants).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:Given that Norway's anti-semitism is primarily from non-Muslim, non-immigrant Norwegians - at least according to the quote above from a victim of anti-semitism -

It would be interesting to see in Norways case which groups are most responsible for antisemitism. but to jump from one example to such a sweeping statement, wow!

shafique wrote:Whoever, and for whatever reason, commits anti-semitic and/or Islamophobic acts or views are condemned by me. Simple - I don't make excuses for these racist/predjudiced views. I also condemn those who wrongly use these labels to stifle justified criticisms of criminal actions etc.

And thats what the OP is all about: Muslims excusing and belitteling antisemitism.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Norwegian Students Experience Antisemitism Jun 16, 2011
shafique wrote:But, let me know if anyone provides any evidence that contradicts the highlighted quote above about anti-semitism in Norway (that it is a problem caused by 'ethnic' Norwegians, and not immigrants).

;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:
shafique wrote:But, let me know if anyone provides any evidence that contradicts the highlighted quote above about anti-semitism in Norway (that it is a problem caused by 'ethnic' Norwegians, and not immigrants).

Thats not what the quote says. Its one example of one case of antisemitism, it doesnot say a thing about antisemitism in general in Norway. By no way does it say antisemitism in Norway is (primarily) caused by native Norwegians.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

From 2009, Jerusalem post:

And what of the original question of anti-Semitism in Norway? In the wake of our articles, other Norwegian Jews have contacted the Post and related their experiences of living in the country.

In general, they say, Norway does not suffer from widespread anti-Semitism. Norwegian Jews are an accepted and respected part of the country.

But, they add, there are rare incidents of tension over their Jewishness, usually with children being teased in school or with Muslim immigrants bringing their politics into their day-to-day meetings with Jews.

http://fr.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?c ... e/ShowFull

'Rare incidents' indeed - from the Jews who actually live in Norway. Note that the article is correcting earlier reports which exaggerated the problem due to deliberate misinformation.

There's a lesson there.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

The OP is about antisemitism in schools in the here and now, not 2009. According to the OP a third of jewish students are the victim of antisemitism, while 5% of Muslims experience harassment. The OP also mentioned its especially Muslims who downplay antisemitism.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

More from that unspoken form of antisemitism - in Britain:

In two weeks’ time there will be a meeting in Tower Hamlets with a man called Raed Salah, a Palestinian who reportedly wrote the following piece of poetry in the Hamas journal:

“You Jews are criminal bombers of mosques,

Slaughterers of pregnant women and babies.

Robbers and germs in all times,

The Creator sentenced you to be loser monkeys,

Victory belongs to Muslims, from the Nile to the Euphrates.”

Saleh has also propagated the ancient “blood libel” against Jews, stating that they used Palestinian children’s blood to bake bread.

The meeting with this gentleman is co-sponsored by our old friends, those famously “democratic Muslims” of the Islamic Forum of Europe, the people who control that equally well-known home of tolerance and harmony, the East London Mosque.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/andre ... d-monkeys/

Of course, it's always interesting to hear Antisemites downplay Muslim Antisemitism.
event horizon

Hmm.

I managed to track down the report.

There were only 36 Jewish students in the survey and 1179 Muslim students. Therefore only 12 Jewish students experience anti-semitism (and 24 didn't) and 62 Muslim students experienced Islamophobia, but many more didn't.

http://www.utdanningsetaten.oslo.kommun ... 6.2011.pdf
(See pg 35, table 4.2.2.4)

I guess 33.3% vs 5.3% looked a lot better for those convinced that mooslims are 'evil' etc ;) .

The spin is strong - but stats are stronger.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

The spin wouldn't be the belief that the trend would be markedly different if more Jewish students were polled.

No, not at all.
event horizon

So, let's recap the facts so far:

Interestingly she says she has rarely experienced antisemitism from Muslims. The perpetrators are as a rule ethnic Norwegians.

and

In general, they say, Norway does not suffer from widespread anti-Semitism. Norwegian Jews are an accepted and respected part of the country.

And 12 Jewish students report that they faced harrassment at school, vs 62 Muslims in the same survey.

Facts, not fantasies.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Norwegian students experience Antisemitism Jun 17, 2011
So what you're saying is that you don't dispute the findings of the poll.

We know 5.3% of Muslim students from a large sample size experience discrimination.

You would have to provide a compelling argument that a similar or smaller percentage of Jewish students would report experiencing discrimination if the sample sizes were comparable.

What we do know is that 12 students out of 36 experience antisemitism. Yet, out of 1179 Muslim students, 62 experience discrimination.

The total sample size of Jewish students is almost twice as small as the Muslim students who report discrimination yet the Jewish students who feel discriminated is only five times less than the total for Muslim students who report discrimination.

Those are pretty compelling numbers indeed.
event horizon

I continue to be amazed by what I call 'loon logic'.

Jews in Norway say 'anti-semitism is rare' and when it occurs it is mostly from ethnic Norwegians. In a survey of 5000 students (who responded), 12 Jewish students reported 'harrassment' and 62 Muslims students the same.

These are the facts.

The spin (interpretation) is up to the readers. There are clearly more instances of Islamophobia than anti-semitism, but there are fewer Jewish students. So, there is disproportionate focus on the smaller group.

This is still very much in line with the narrative by Norwegian Jews quoted above. Indeed, what is surprising is that the 24 Jewish students didn't label the 'political discussions' on Israel with fellow students as 'anti-semitism'.

But for now, we have yet another example of the curse of loon exaggeration - 12 student respondents presented as proof of widespread anti-semitism. :roll:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jews in Norway say ... mostly from ethnic Norwegians.

That was one Jew (not Jews) who said it came from Leftist Norwegians - which is not exactly surprising but all the more ironic given how Leftists see 'Islamophobia' in every shadow (just as Muslims do) and are often themselves the perpetrators of antisemitism (just as Muslims are).

But back to your pluralizing of what one person said - don't you feel dishonest about your frequent habit of distorting the facts?

In a survey of 5000 students (who responded), 12 Jewish students reported 'harrassment' and 62 Muslims students the same.

The ratios say it all.

Quite frankly, you prove what everyone says about you and distorting numbers when you play games like this.

Are we to believe that a larger sample size of Jewish students wouldn't result in more Jews experiencing antisemitism?

Indeed, what is surprising is that the 24 Jewish students didn't label the 'political discussions' on Israel with fellow students as 'anti-semitism'.

More lies. Second in one post in fact. Your spin should be evident to all. The article I linked to never discussed what Jewish students felt as constituting as antisemitism.

How am I supposed to read 'what is surprising is that the 24 Jewish students didn't label the 'political discussions' on Israel with fellow students as 'anti-semitism' '?

It's telling you would downplay what Jewish students report as antisemitism as mere political discussions over Israel.

It's even more telling when you say you're surprised when you say not all Jews play the race card - and, at the same time, dismiss antisemitism as criticism of Israel.

It gets more difficult for you to claim you're not a Jew hater, doesn't it?
event horizon

Whilst we wait for any new (real rather than imagined) evidence, this is appropriate:

dubai-politics-talk/handy-guide-for-posters-perspective-t44200.html

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sad but not surprised say Jewish community leaders following the release of a poll that asked for the views of British Muslims towards Jews and Israel.

Conduced by Populus for a group of Jewish organisations and first published in The Times, it surveyed 500 people across the country between December 9 and 19 last year, nearly 50 percent agreed with the conspiracy theory that "the Jewish community in Britain is in league with the Freemasons to control the media and politics". while 37 per cent believed that Anglo-Jewry was a "legitimate target as part of the struggle for justice in the Middle East".

Of the conspiracy theory, Board of Deputies chief executive Jon Benjamin said it was "completely bizarre" while he added. "It is concerning to hear that Jews are considered legitimate targets."

http://www.somethingjewish.co.uk/articl ... n_jews.htm

Antisemitism seems deeply rooted in Britain's Muslim community.

Tolerance for intolerance will allow hatred to seep through a community, Britain's Muslims are a case in point.
event horizon

Re: Norwegian Students Experience Antisemitism Jun 17, 2011
:roll:

Norway and UK are clearly marked.

cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apparently jews in the Norwegian educational system can expect to have a hard time, with a third being harassed because they are jewish. This is indeed downplayed, as is also visible is this thread. Whether or not this anitsemitism is sourced mainly by native Norwegians or Muslims can be interesting. But I fear that as in so many countries, the ethinicitiy of attackers is not included. And to conclude from one example that it is native Norwegians that are mainly responsible for it, is just ridiculous. A documentary about it did however say:

In 2010, the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation reported that antisemitic attitudes were prevalent at some Norwegian schools. Teachers at schools with large shares of Muslims revealed that Muslim students often "praise or admire Adolf Hitler for his killing of Jews", that "Jew-hate is legitimate within vast groups of Muslim students" and that "Muslims laugh or demand [teachers] to stop when trying to educate about the Holocaust".
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

12 Jewish students out of 36 in a survey reported being harrassed. In the same survey 62 Muslim students also reported the same.

I refer the readers to the previous posts about perspective.

To save future embarrassment, I would suggest that posters wishing to use statistics to just double check their figures and spin put on the figures. Misuse of statistics (and wild fantasies about mooslims) are easily uncovered.

By all means, state your beliefs about how evil mooslims and Islam is - but be wary about making inferences from statistics without knowing the underlying actual numbers.

Stating that there were more Islamophobic harrassment (62 students vs 12) is not to trivialise the harrassment - but just stating the facts.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

In the Netherlands anti-semitic incidents, from verbal abuse to violence, are reported, allegedly connected with islamic youth, mostly boys from Moroccan descent. Jews no longer feel at home in the city. Many are considering aliyah to Israel

There were recorded well over a hundred antisemitic attacks in Belgium in 2009. This was a 100% increase from the year before. The perpetrators were usually young males of immigrant background from the Middle East

In 2004, France experienced rising levels of Islamic antisemitism and acts that were publicized around the world.[149][150][151] In 2006, rising levels of antisemitism were recorded in French schools. Reports related to the tensions between the children of North African Muslim immigrants and North African Jewish children
Between 2001 and 2005, an estimated 12,000 French Jews took Aliyah to Israel

After Germany and Austria, Sweden has the highest rate of antisemitic incidents in Europe.[165] A government study in 2006 estimated that 39% of the Muslim population, harbor strong and consistent antisemitic views

In March 2010, Fredrik Sieradzk told Die Presse, an Austrian Internet publication, that Jews are being "harassed and physically attacked" by "people from the Middle East," although he added that only a small number of Malmo's 40,000 Muslims "exhibit hatred of Jews." Sieradzk also stated that approximately 30 Jewish families have emigrated from Malmo to Israel in the past year, specifically to escape from harassment
In 2009 the Malmö police received reports of 79 anti-Semitic incidents, double the number of the previous year (2008).
Sweden is a microcosm of contemporary anti-Semitism. It’s a form of acquiescence to radical Islam
Judith Popinski, and 86-year-old Holocaust survivor, stated that she is no longer invited to schools that have a large Muslim presence to tell her story of surviving the Holocaust.
many schools no longer ask Holocaust survivors to tell their stories, because Muslim students treat them with such disrespect, either ignoring the speakers or walking out of the class

In 2010, the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation after one year of research, revealed that anti-semitism was common among Norwegian muslims

Common theme: throughout Western Europe jews are leaving because of rising antisemitism, and although this stems partly from native populations, by large and far Muslims are resposible for this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_antisemitism#Islamic_antisemitism_in_Europe
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Norwegian Students Experience Antisemitism Jun 17, 2011
Curious - if most of the 1000+ Muslim students in the Norwegian survey were anti-semitic, how come only 12 Jewish students reported facing harrassment, compared to the 62 Muslim students facing harrassment.

Perhaps it is because the Norwegian Jews are correct when they told Jerusalem Post that:

Or perhaps it is the old trick of labelling political critiques as 'anti-semitism'?

Who knows? What is clear (wiki quote apart), though, that the wild fantasies and claims made aren't actually supported by any evidence - and all this from the reports from 12 students. :roll:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk