Muslims Arrested For Praying At Cordoba Church

Topic locked
Muslims arrested for praying at Cordoba Church Apr 05, 2010
Like many regions the Muslim invaders conquered, the Islamic conquerors conveniently decided to build their mosque on top of a church - in India, temples were routinely destroyed and replaced with mosques, the gold and other precious metals and stones were transported back to Syria and one famous Syrian mosque is built with gold taken from the Muslim conquest of the subcontinent.

The mosque in the story was later purchased and restored into the cathedral it once was. But, I'm sure Muslims would allow pagans to worship at the meteorite and adjoining masjid in Mecca after the Muslims forcibly took from the Arabian pagans their place of worship.

A confrontation between Muslim tourists and guards employed by the Roman Catholic bishop at the world-famous Cordoba mosque saw two people arrested and two guards injured last night.

Trouble broke out when the visitors knelt to pray in the building, a former mosque turned into a Christian cathedral in the 13th century, where a local bishop, Demetrio Fernández, recently insisted that a ban on Muslim prayers must remain.

Half a dozen members of a group of more than 100 Muslims from Austria had started praying among the marble columns and coloured arches of the vast building when security guards ordered them to stop.

"They provoked in a pre-planned fashion what was a deplorable episode of violence," the bishop's office said in a statement.

Cathedral authorities said the guards had invited the visitors to continue viewing the inside of a 24,000 sq metre building that was once the world's second biggest mosque, but without praying.

"They replied by attacking the security guards, two of whom suffered serious injuries," the bishop's office said.

Local newspapers reported that a dozen police officers had been called into the building and that these, too, had been attacked when they tried to arrest the two visitors.

The local Diario de Cordoba newspaper quoted anonymous police sources as saying that a knife had been taken off one of those arrested.

A group of local Muslim converts have long campaigned for the right to pray at the mosque building. "The building is very big and the main cathedral occupies only a part of it," said Mansur Escudero of the Junta Islamica group.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/ap ... sque-fight

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Muslims arrested for praying at Cordoba Church Apr 05, 2010
and here is another story of about how religion seperates us all and makes it so that nobody can get along. . .
MethoD
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Wow, those Mooslems are so bloodthirst aren't they! Let's overlook the fact that the site for the mosque was bought (not conquered) Abdur Rahman - and was originally the site of a Roman Pagan temple before a church was built on the site - we don't want facts to get in the way of a good story, do we 'eh'?

I also note that 'eh' left out this quote from the article:
..He said there were frequent incidents of Muslims being prevented from praying.

"They argue that canon law does not allow Muslims to pray there, though they have been happy to permit visiting Saudi princes and other dignitaries, including Saddam Hussein, to pray," he said

:shock:

Or the Church's comment:
"This one-off incident does not represent the genuine attitude of Muslims, many of whom maintain an attitude of respect and dialogue with the Catholic church," it added.

But hey, why let a 'one off incident' get in the way of one's hatred - eh? :roll:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

and here is another story of about how religion seperates us all and makes it so that nobody can get along.

It's not the religion who seperates us all, it's those people who never give it a through tought...

The Big Questions.....
philosophy-dubai/dedicate-robbyg-the-big-questions-t41086.html

Jesus Freaks...
http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/489/
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

So shafique is complaining that the Christians turned a pagan house of worship into a church?

LoL!

Anyways, I don't see what shafique is complaining about. Was there anything that I said that was factually incorrect?
event horizon

I don't recall complaining - I just corrected your spin dear boy.

But why ignore the passage that Saddam Hussein was allowed to pray in it and the statement of the Church that this was a one-off incident and hence atypical? (Of course, we know the answer)

And yes, you were factually incorrect and selective in your quote, as shown in my previous post.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Let me know what I had spun.
event horizon

event horizon wrote:The mosque in the story was later purchased and restored into the cathedral it once was.

The mosque was never purchased - it was conquered by the Christians.

The land the mosque was built on was purchased (i.e. the Muslims bought the land, the Christians just kicked out the Muslims and took over).

Factually wrong, and a spin - a double whammy.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk