"Jews Only" Roads

Topic locked
"Jews Only" Roads Dec 04, 2009
Here's an article by a former Israeli education minister, written in Jan 2007. Pretty self-explanatory.

This Road is for Jews Only
Yes, There is Apartheid in Israel

By SHULAMIT ALONI

Jewish self-righteousness is taken for granted among ourselves to such an extent that we fail to see what's right in front of our eyes. It's simply inconceivable that the ultimate victims, the Jews, can carry out evil deeds. Nevertheless, the state of Israel practises its own, quite violent, form of Apartheid with the native Palestinian population.

The US Jewish Establishment's onslaught on former President Jimmy Carter is based on him daring to tell the truth which is known to all: through its army, the government of Israel practises a brutal form of Apartheid in the territory it occupies. Its army has turned every Palestinian village and town into a fenced-in, or blocked-in, detention camp. All this is done in order to keep an eye on the population's movements and to make its life difficult. Israel even imposes a total curfew whenever the settlers, who have illegally usurped the Palestinians' land, celebrate their holidays or conduct their parades.

If that were not enough, the generals commanding the region frequently issue further orders, regulations, instructions and rules (let us not forget: they are the lords of the land). By now they have requisitioned further lands for the purpose of constructing "Jewish only" roads. Wonderful roads, wide roads, well-paved roads, brightly lit at night--all that on stolen land. When a Palestinian drives on such a road, his vehicle is confiscated and he is sent on his way.

On one occasion I witnessed such an encounter between a driver and a soldier who was taking down the details before confiscating the vehicle and sending its owner away. "Why?" I asked the soldier. "It's an order--this is a Jews-only road", he replied. I inquired as to where was the sign indicating this fact and instructing [other] drivers not to use it. His answer was nothing short of amazing. "It is his responsibility to know it, and besides, what do you want us to do, put up a sign here and let some antisemitic reporter or journalist take a photo so he that can show the world that Apartheid exists here?"

Indeed Apartheid does exist here. And our army is not "the most moral army in the world" as we are told by its commanders. Sufficient to mention that every town and every village has turned into a detention centre and that every entry and every exit has been closed, cutting it off from arterial traffic. If it were not enough that Palestinians are not allowed to travel on the roads paved 'for Jews only', on their land, the current GOC found it necessary to land an additional blow on the natives in their own land with an "ingenious proposal".

Humanitarian activists cannot transport Palestinians either.

Major-General Naveh, renowned for his superior patriotism, has issued a new order. Coming into affect on 19 January, it prohibits the conveyance of Palestinians without a permit. The order determines that Israelis are not allowed to transport Palestinians in an Israeli vehicle (one registered in Israel regardless of what kind of numberplate it carries) unless they have received explicit permission to do so. The permit relates to both the driver and the Palestinian passenger. Of course none of this applies to those whose labour serves the settlers. They and their employers will naturally receive the required permits so they can continue to serve the lords of the land, the settlers.

Did man of peace President Carter truly err in concluding that Israel is creating Apartheid? Did he exaggerate? Don't the US Jewish community leaders recognise the International Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Racial Discrimination of 7 March 1966, to which Israel is a signatory? Are the US Jews who launched the loud and abusive campaign against Carter for supposedly maligning Israel's character and its democratic and humanist nature unfamiliar with the International Convention on the Suppression and Punishment of the Crime of Apartheid of 30 November 1973? Apartheid is defined therein as an international crime that among other things includes using different legal instruments to rule over different racial groups, thus depriving people of their human rights. Isn't freedom of travel one of these rights?

In the past, the US Jewish community leaders were quite familiar with the meaning of those conventions. For some reason, however, they are convinced that Israel is allowed to contravene them. It's OK to kill civilians, women and children, old people and parents with their children, deliberately or otherwise without accepting any responsibility. It's permissible to rob people of their lands, destroy their crops, and cage them up like animals in the zoo. From now on, Israelis and International humanitarian organisations' volunteers are prohibited from assisting a woman in labour by taking her to the hospital. [Israeli human rights group] Yesh Din volunteers cannot take a robbed and beaten-up Palestinian to the police station to lodge a complaint. (Police stations are located at the heart of the settlements.) Is there anyone who believes that this is not Apartheid?

Jimmy Carter does not need me to defend his reputation that has been sullied by Israelophile community officials. The trouble is that their love of Israel distorts their judgment and blinds them from seeing what's in front of them. Israel is an occupying power that for 40 years has been oppressing an indigenous people, which is entitled to a sovereign and independent existence while living in peace with us. We should remember that we too used very violent terror against foreign rule because we wanted our own state. And the list of victims of terror is quite long and extensive.

We do limit ourselves to denying the [Palestinian] people human rights. We not only rob of them of their freedom, land and water. We apply collective punishment to millions of people and even, in revenge-driven frenzy, destroy the electricity supply for one and half million civilians. Let them "sit in the darkness" and "starve".

Employees cannot be paid their wages because Israel is holding 500 million shekels that belong to the Palestinians. And after all that we remain "pure as the driven snow". There are no moral blemishes on our actions. There is no racial separation. There is no Apartheid. It's an invention of the enemies of Israel. Hooray for our brothers and sisters in the US! Your devotion is very much appreciated. You have truly removed a nasty stain from us. Now there can be an extra spring in our step as we confidently abuse the Palestinian population, using the "most moral army in the world".

[Translated by Sol Salbe]

Shulamit Aloni is the former Education Minister of Israel. She has been awarded both the Israel Prize and the Emil Grunzweig Human Rights Award by the Association for Civil Rights in Israel.

http://www.counterpunch.org/aloni01082007.html

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: "Jews Only" Roads Dec 06, 2009
Just a bump for Flying Dutchman to comment on.

He accused me of being 'hateful' and committing 'anti-semitic libel' for using the phrase 'Jews-Only roads' in the thread about South Africa comparing Israels actions to Apartheid. If it was me, I'd apologize for the slur against my character - but hey, I'd settle for a "yes, Shulamit Alomi did say Israel has 'Jews Only Roads' and does say there is Apartheid".

In fact he says:
Is there anyone who believes that this is not Apartheid?

I'm sure that FD disagrees with Mr Alomi - but would he call him a libelous hate-filled anti-semite as well??

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: "Jews Only" Roads Oct 18, 2010
More and more surprised...Is Dubai an occupied territory of Israel ?
gadfly
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: "Jews Only" Roads Oct 25, 2010
Well, even though gadfly will not be missed, he bumped this thread which contained the powerful testimony of an Israeli politician - admitting what a couple of posters here continue to refuse to acknowledge:

Indeed Apartheid does exist here. And our army is not "the most moral army in the world" as we are told by its commanders. Sufficient to mention that every town and every village has turned into a detention centre and that every entry and every exit has been closed, cutting it off from arterial traffic. If it were not enough that Palestinians are not allowed to travel on the roads paved 'for Jews only', on their land, the current GOC found it necessary to land an additional blow on the natives in their own land with an "ingenious proposal".

shafique wrote:...
In fact he says:

I'm sure that FD disagrees with Mr Alomi - but would he call him a libelous hate-filled anti-semite as well??

So, it does go to show that every cloud has a silver lining! ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I assume Ms. Shulamit Aloni is meant with Mr. Alomi. Not sure though.

Ex-president Carter already apologized and asked forgiveness for the same libel.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

President Carter never took back any facts he brought to the attention of the world, he only apologised for any hurt these facts may have caused.

And it was out of concern for the political career of his grandson! :shock: :
Former President Jimmy Carter has apologized for his strong criticism of the Israeli occupation. It just shows you that in politics, you criticize Israel at your own risk.

No, Carter is not worried about his own political prospects but those of his grandson, Jason, who is running for the Georgia State Senate.

Carter does not specifically retract anything he has previously said or written. Even love for a grandson will not allow Carter to retract facts. He just apologizes for any hurt he may have caused, although the people he "hurt" can sure use some hurting on this issue.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mj-rosenb ... 05012.html

But still, FD continues to deny the facts.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:But still, FD continues to deny the facts.

I can only guess why poster Shafique is so obsessed with my opinion (and that of event horizon). No, there are no Jewish only roads. Claims to the contrary are only based on heresay from heresay. Take Ms. Aloni for example, she reports to the media that she heard from a soldier that he was told by somebody else...This myth is tested constantly with hidden camera's. Up until now nobody has been able to show any prove that non-jews are not allowed to travel those mythical roads.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

I just have a strange fascination with people with outdated beliefs.

Until I find someone who seriously believes the world is flat, I'll have to make do with those who like to deny facts which are evident to everyone else.

But in the case of Israeli spin - I do commend you for continuing to fight the losing battle of their PR. And sometimes you provide information that I was previously unaware of - such as the fact that in 1930 the majority of Jewish colonies did not have apartheid policies and the minority Zionist colonies which did was seen back then as dangerous, unfair etc.

These discussions bring these facts into the open and counter the Israeli spin that some desperately still want to believe.

The question asked in the article was:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

And let's be clear, FD is calling an eye-witness account as something that is 'hearsay':

On one occasion I witnessed such an encounter between a driver and a soldier who was taking down the details before confiscating the vehicle and sending its owner away. "Why?" I asked the soldier. "It's an order--this is a Jews-only road", he replied. I inquired as to where was the sign indicating this fact and instructing [other] drivers not to use it. His answer was nothing short of amazing. "It is his responsibility to know it, and besides, what do you want us to do, put up a sign here and let some antisemitic reporter or journalist take a photo so he that can show the world that Apartheid exists here?"

Shulamit Aloni is the former Education Minister of Israel. She has been awarded both the Israel Prize and the Emil Grunzweig Human Rights Award by the Association for Civil Rights in Israel.

Hardly hearsay to report a direct conversation with a soldier.

Why let inconvenient facts get in the way of a belief that there isn't apartheid.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

This thread about the " jews only road" myth. Nothing tangible supports this slur. Journalism with integrity results in:

A Dec. 30 A-section item from the Associated Press, about an Israeli Supreme Court ruling giving Palestinians access to a section of West Bank highway previously closed to them, incorrectly said that Israel reserves some roads for Jews. The country closes some roads to virtually all Palestinians, but they are open to all Israeli citizens and to other nationals, regardless of religious background.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/27/AR2010012704853.html?referrer=emailarticle

If it doesn't exist, it doesn't exist.

Carter also realized this and he apologized and asked forgiveness.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

The tangible evidence is the eyewitness account of the incident I quoted above, and the soldier's response to the Parliamentarian.

Let me repeat it for you:

What is done in front of Washington Post reporters may be different from what was witnessed above. Spin when met with reality is never a nice sight (and in any case, the WP clarification of what was written in the AP report referred to, does not change what was witnessed above - a road which was not labelled 'Jews only' was in fact treated as one by the soldier. Indeed, it seems a distinction without a difference -like saying that a sign saying 'no blacks' in Apartheid South Africa is better than one that says 'Whites only' - the WP clarification only says that Israel bans virtually all Palestinians from these 'jews only' roads in the occupied territories).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nope, the correction from the Associated Press correctly stated that those roads are open to ALL Israeli citizens.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Still doesn't change the fact that the AP article does not contradict the eyewitness account given by Aloni.

The 'Jews-only' road wasn't labelled as such - it just was so in practice.

Labels don't change the facts of occupation - having a road that Palestinians are forbidden to use, but the citizens of the occupying power are allowed to use, which leads to colonies occupied by Jews only is a long way of saying 'Jews only road'.

As Aloni says:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:having a road that Palestinians are forbidden to use, but the citizens of the occupying power are allowed to use, which leads to colonies occupied by Jews only is a long way of saying 'Jews only road'.

Yes, correct, calling roads that are only allowed for cars with Israeli license plates is a long way from the mythical jews only roads.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

'This is a Jews-only road' was uttered by the Israeli soldier - your argument is with him and with his explanation of why this fact is not labelled.

The usual tactic of avoiding the main argument and focussing on a different point (in this case what a Washington Post article had to correct) - the article above talks about the above incident - i.e. Apartheid in practice. Just denying it exists is a feeble argument FD.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Ah, imagine that.

The loon won't acknowledge his article was wrong.

That would compromise his anti-Israel bias.

As usual, your typical loon journalism standards.
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: "Jews Only" Roads Oct 26, 2010
Ah, another loon fantasist denying an eye-witness account by an Israeli politician and wishing desperately to believe the Bible camp fairy stories of Israeli spin!

Let's re-cap what is causing the fanbois so much grief:

And the eyewitness event itself (where the Israeli soldier declares the road to be 'Jews only'):

As I stated, just denying this is false is a pretty piss-poor defence.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Blindly believing the urban legend of jewish only roads based on a heresay eyewitness account, despite the absence of any tangible proof, can lead to Arabs killing Arabs on a road designated for cars with Israeli license plates:

Wael Ghanem, an Israeli Arab, was shot and killed as he drove toward the Jewish settlement of Tzofin in the West Bank, not far from where an Israeli woman was killed on Sunday. Palestinian security sources said Mr Ghanem was a collaborator with Israeli security during the first Palestinian uprising, from 1987-93. He moved to Israel and received citizenship, they said, indicating he might have been killed because of his background.
But he was driving a car with yellow Israeli licence plates on a road where a similar shooting had taken place, raising the possibility that Palestinian gunmen thought they were targeting an Israeli settler.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/two-shot-dead-and-two-injured-as-palestinians-appeal-for-observers-664988.html

I believe also a monk was killed a few years killed driving on a road for cars with Israeli license plates.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Blindly believing that the Israeli parliamentarian's account is false is certainly your right (there are those who still believe the IDF spin that they are the most moral army in the world, but most laugh at this notion these days).

However, it is really a bit strange if you think that your belief carry's any weight with anyone who isn't a fanbois - or that throwing out random quotes disproves the eye-witness account given in the article.

Do you have ANY proof that the Israeli soldier did not say he had orders that the road was a Jews only road?

And the elephant in the room is that no one denies that the road in question leads to a Jews-Only colony on land Israel captured in 1967 (i.e. not in Israel). The fact that you are focussing on the soldier's words 'Jews-only' road and splitting hairs - rather than the fact that apartheid is indeed practiced, speaks volumes. Indeed, you'll probably argue that it makes sense that only Jews are allowed to live in the illegal colonies - i.e. justify apartheid. If you are against apartheid, then you'd be against these Jews-only colonies on land that is not in Israel.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

If you want to see apartheid on the Westbank, I would suggest taking a look at the Balata refugee camp. Arabs in there are kep inside the ghetto by the Palestinian leadership, not the Israeli's. The PA forbids them to build outside the ghetto, doesn't allow them to vote etc. etc. Soweto, created by the Palestinian leaders for the Palestinians.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

I'm really not interested in a 'what about' argument in this thread about Israeli apartheid practices. I'll be happy to contribute to a new thread which argues that the PA practices apartheid as well - but you'll have to come up with a more convincing argument than 'refugee camps resemble South African ghettos'.

Let's focus on the eye-witness account of a parliamentarian of an Israeli soldier imposing an apartheid policy which fanbois and Israeli spin deny happens.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jimmy Carter acknowledged that there are no Jews only roads in the region and apologized afterward for spreading slander against Israel.

You seem to be basing your entire theory simply on what someone said. Wow, seriously?

Hey, perhaps I should try that some time by telling German immigrants they aren't allowed to use a library's computer because they're German rather than because the German immigrants aren't residents of the town's local library.
event horizon

eh - where did President Carter take back any of the facts about the racist/apartheid policies of Israel?

If you look back, you'll see that what Carter apologised for and the fact he didn't retract any fact he had brought to light before.

Now, back to the 'Jews-only' road as described by the Israeli soldier, and the fact that it leads to a Jews-only colony on land that is not part of Israel - it is hard to not characterise this as 'apartheid'.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Now, back to the 'Jews-only' road as described by the Israeli soldier, and the fact that it leads to a Jews-only colony on land that is not part of Israel - it is hard to not characterise this as 'apartheid'.

There aren't any Jewish only roads as FD's post illuminates for us.

So why haven't you addressed the findings of an investigation rather than hang on to your paltry source of evidence that what someone said to non-Israelis is proof of the existence of Jewish only roads - rather roads used only (at least at certain times) for Israelis?

Do you think Israel's first Arab Muslim IDF officer would be legally prohibited from driving down these supposed Jewish only roads?
event horizon

The original article doesn't claim there are officially labelled 'Jews only' roads - only ones that Palestinians are banned from and that the Israeli soldier stated was in effect a 'Jews-only' road.

In fact, the soldier was quite clear why the road wasn't labelled as such:

This is the point of the thread - not the strawman that Israel doesn't officially call these roads to the colonies 'Jews-Only' roads.

Again, as the Israeli politician who witnessed the above stated:

Why not address this point head on?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

You could have said, 'no, there aren't any Jewish-only roads in Israel or the disputed territories'.
event horizon

Instead I ignored your strawman by pointing out that the original article never claimed Israel officially labelled these roads as such. Try and keep up.

Now, how about addressing the points made in the article (which would mean reading it) rather than points not in it?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: "Jews Only" Roads Nov 02, 2010
event horizon wrote:Jimmy Carter acknowledged that there are no Jews only roads in the region and apologized afterward for spreading slander against Israel.

President Carter is being criticised by the ADL for speaking the truth about Israel:
http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/adl ... s-1.322336

The article makes clear what President Carter apologised for - and contrary to eh's belief there is no evidence that President Carter took back any of the facts about Israel's injustices that he had pointed out before.

"We must recognize Israel's achievements under difficult circumstances, even as we strive in a positive way to help Israel continue to improve its relations with its Arab populations, but we must not permit criticisms for improvement to stigmatize Israel," Carter wrote

What the ADL is objecting to now is Carter's stance on the illegal blockade of Gaza and hence are accusing him of an anti-Israel bias. :roll:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk