Jews Leave Malmo After Sharp Rise In Antisemitic Hate Crimes

Topic locked
Jews leave Malmo after sharp rise in Antisemitic hate crimes Jul 11, 2011
What's almost as sick as the Antisemitic views of many in the Muslim community, is the denial and obfuscation for their coreligionists by other Muslims.

In 2009, a chapel serving the city's 700-strong Jewish community was set ablaze. Jewish cemeteries were repeatedly desecrated, worshippers were abused on their way home from prayer, and "Hitler" was mockingly chanted in the streets by masked men.

"I never thought I would see this hatred again in my lifetime, not in Sweden anyway," Mrs Popinski told The Sunday Telegraph.

"This new hatred comes from Muslim immigrants. The Jewish people are afraid now."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... rimes.html

So are Mosques going to have Torah reading days to combat Antisemitism in their own communities?

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Jews leave Malmo after sharp rise in Antisemitic hate cr Jul 11, 2011
I believe Malmo is the worst European city in this regard. Muslims do play a large part in it, together with the left. Although I donot hear much about it I am sure the extreme right also plays it part. The left not only plays an active part, but also an important more passive part by 'reasoning' away violent antisemtism with the perceived policies of Israel.
In many European cities, jews donot dare to walk with their kippah anymore.

That said, we shouldnt forget that some time ago there was the following comment in Haaretz:

aliyah from sweden not due to antisemtism
dennis 12.07.1018:01

I am a Jew from Malmo who made aliyah 4 years ago. I am well acquainted with the situation in Malmo and although there is a serious problem with anti-Israel sentiments in the city, the above description is grossly exaggerated. My parents and several of mine and their friends still live in Malmo and can also attest to that. I know most of the other Jews who made aliyah from Malmo and almost none of us made aliyah because of anti-semitism, but rather because of a dying Jewish community and a lack of oppurtunity to retain our and our children's Jewish identity in the future. The aliyah from Malmo is a matter to rejoice over, not to mourn, since it fulfills the generations long yearning for a return to Israel and guarantees the continued Jewish identity of the Malmo Jews who made this brave decision.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Jews leave Malmo after sharp rise in Antisemitic hate cr Jul 12, 2011
Malmo. Hollywood The company wanted to shoot a feature film in Scania, based on a best-seller. But the company got cold feet. The reason: threats against Jews in the region.

http://www.sydsvenskan.se/kultur-och-no ... ywood.html

Interesting timing for this story...
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk