Israeli Warcrime On USS Liberty In 1967

Topic locked
Re: Israeli Warcrime on USS Liberty in 1967 Mar 07, 2010
Facts above do indicate a deliberate decision to commit the war crime against the US.

What was being covered up was the fact a land grab was going on - especially for the water in Golan.

RG you are right - the stats do show Israel was outnumbered, and your conclusions based on this haven't been addressed.
What the Israeli military internal assessment of the time said will be interesting -
but for now your discussion with FD and eh on this war crime amd cover up doesn't really need to worry about this aspect of why
the war was launched - but rather is about a war crime.

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:Facts above do indicate a deliberate decision to commit the war crime against the US.

What was being covered up was the fact a land grab was going on - especially for the water in Golan.

RG you are right - the stats do show Israel was outnumbered, and your conclusions based on this haven't been addressed.
What the Israeli military internal assessment of the time said will be interesting -
but for now your discussion with FD and eh on this war crime amd cover up doesn't really need to worry about this aspect of why

Exactly. My approach is just as hybrid as the war in 1967. :wink:

First we acknowledge the obvious warcrime(s). Then we speculate about tactical/strategic motives that Israel might have used in the process. :mrgreen:

But first we need to establish some agreement. So Shafique, will you lead in the condemnation effort? You are such a leader in that... :lol:
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Well, as you asked - yes, I do indeed condemn the war crime against the Liberty - the facts as presented are pretty persuasive.

I wonder whether anyone will defend the crime or refute the evidence above? (The usual tactics at this stage will be to either a. Change the subject, b. Ignore the question about condemnation or c. Start name-calling. :)
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I agree with that. I consider the attack on the Liberty an obvious warcrime, no matter what the justifications for it were back in 1967.

Lets wait with pleasure on the response from my fellow countrymen, FD...

He can't remain silent on this one. It would ruin his reputation 8)
RobbyG

shafique wrote:I wonder whether anyone will defend the crime or refute the evidence above? (The usual tactics at this stage will be to either a. Change the subject, b. Ignore the question about condemnation or c. Start name-calling. :)

With c. you must be referring to borderline patient BB.

But I will choose a.: Robby congrats with the great home victory yesterday! You are right on track again.

But seriously, I donot believe a war crime is committed, so there is nothing to condemn for me.

RobbyG wrote:Lets wait with pleasure on the response from my fellow countrymen, FD...

Abologies , buddy, for the late reaction. Had a crazy wild night out. Slept in today. :D
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Flying Dutchman wrote:
But seriously, I donot believe a war crime is committed, so there is nothing to condemn for me.

I'm at awe. :shock:

:mrgreen:
RobbyG

shafique wrote:Facts above do indicate a deliberate decision to commit the war crime against the US.

I thought the Israeli forces were superior to the Egyptians/Syrians?

Are you now changing your story?
event horizon

event horizon wrote:

I thought the Israeli forces were superior to the Egyptians/Syrians?

Are you now changing your story?

Oh come on EH, he showed progressive insight there. Can't say that about many others.

The Egyptians were the most advanced army back then. Israel was still embracing the Germans...oops, correction...I meant Shermans... ;)
RobbyG

According to the link, IIRC, Germany did give Israel some material assistance a few years before the war.

But yeah, it's interesting to note the complete dichotomy between Israel and the Arab world in '67 and Israel and the Arab world today.

What's amazing, also, is that a superpower in' 67 was actively helping out her allies in the Middle East - pouring billions of dollars worth of military armaments into the pockets of her middle eastern allies' arsenals. It just turns out, though, that the generous 'helper' wasn't the US and the ally receiving the help wasn't Israel.

Funnily enough, no-one seemed bothered that the USSR was helping human rights abusers, such as the Syrian government.

It's only to be condemned if the US or Israel is involved.
event horizon

Credit is due to FD - he doesn't believe a war crime was commited and says so.

I'm with Robby on this one - clearly a war crime based on the evidence presented by those who were there.

As for whether I believe the stats presented negate the internal Israeli military assessment - for this discussion abiut this war crime - it is moot. In any case until I dig out the refs I can't be certain I'm not wrong (so, happy to go along with eh's argument that the Israselis were the underdogs)
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Ya have to root for the underdogs.....
event horizon

I do - but not when they commit war crimes or slaughter civilians (or enslave virgins) - and don't allow religous fanaticism to excuse actual crimes.

But then again, I understand that guys who share your views say it is ok for palestinian underdogs to blow up civilians because they think god allows this. I disagree with them, and with you.
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Flying Dutchman wrote:
shafique wrote:I wonder whether anyone will defend the crime or refute the evidence above? (The usual tactics at this stage will be to either a. Change the subject, b. Ignore the question about condemnation or c. Start name-calling. :)

With c. you must be referring to borderline patient BB.

But I will choose a.: Robby congrats with the great home victory yesterday! You are right on track again.

RobbyG wrote:Lets wait with pleasure on the response from my fellow countrymen, FD...

Abologies , buddy, for the late reaction. Had a crazy wild night out. Slept in today. :D

Bravo!!! You covered a., b., and c. in one post.

No war crime committed. OOOOOOOKKAY. Then if that's the case: the Holocaust never happened. :)

Who really cares how you spent your night and/or day???? Or are you just announcing that you actually had something to do?? :roll:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Israeli Warcrime on USS Liberty in 1967 Mar 14, 2010
Can someone summarise for me what's been agreed?

Was the attack a war crime or not? (I think FD states it wasn't - but is this just a 'belief')

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Are you serious Shaf?

I thought we agreed that it was a crime, given the fact that Israels airforce attacked (rockets, napalm and strafe attacks) the USS Liberty after surveying the USS Liberty multiple times earlier that day. The real warcrime is the deliberate killing of US sailors in lifeboats, after the air/naval attack. See the video of the survivors who tell you their story after 40 years of silence.

Yes, a warcrime.
RobbyG

That's what I thought - pretty conclusive evidence.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk