Israel - Violating Freedom Of Speech

Topic locked
Israel - violating freedom of speech Jan 20, 2010
Oh dear, it appears that Israel is now locking up Israelis who are speaking up against Israeli crimes. And interestingly, when the US press is reporting this (the article below is from the Washington Post) - you know that things are seriously different now - we're used to Israeli journalists pointing out the uncomfortable truths, but now the US papers are finally catching up:

Israel accused of silencing political protest
01.19.2010 | Washington Post

By BEN HUBBARD
The Associated Press
Tuesday, January 19, 2010; 2:13 PM

JERUSALEM — Israel is arresting a growing number of prominent opponents to its policies toward the Palestinians, say critics who are accusing the government of trying to crush legitimate dissent.

In the most high-profile case yet, Jerusalem police detained the leader of a leading Israeli human rights group during a vigil against the eviction of Palestinian families whose homes were taken by Jewish settlers.

Since the summer, dozens of Palestinian and Israeli activists have been picked up, including those organizing weekly protests against Israel’s West Bank separation barrier as well as others advocating international boycotts of Israeli goods.

Some of the Palestinians were released without charge only after weeks and months of questioning.

The arrests come at a time of shifting tactics in the protests against Israel’s occupation of the West Bank and annexation of east Jerusalem, territories the Palestinians want for their future state. Israel captured both from Jordan in the 1967 Mideast war.

The violence of the second Palestinian uprising, with mass marches and violent attacks, has given way to carefully calibrated protests and legal action in which Israeli and Palestinian activists now often work together.

The main protest efforts are Friday demonstrations against the West Bank barrier in the Palestinian villages of Bilin and Naalin and vigils in the east Jerusalem neighborhood of Sheik Jarrah, where Palestinians have been evicted.

There appears to be an increased police crackdown on the protests with greater numbers of activists being arrested.

In the West Bank, troops fire tear gas, stun grenades, and live rounds - even midnight arrest raids - to disperse anti-barrier protesters. Israel says the protests are illegal, and the harsh tactics are a response to stone-throwing and violent rioting.

In east Jerusalem, police have arrested some 70 demonstrators during marches in recent months, according to Israeli rights groups. At Friday’s protest, police arrested 17 Israelis, including Hagai Elad, head of the Association for Civil Rights in Israel.

They were released 36 hours later by a Jerusalem court, which found the gathering to be illegal, but the arrests unnecessary.

Elad said the arrests represent a “dramatic increase in attempts to silence dissent” that he believes began during last year’s offensive in Gaza, when Israel arrested hundreds of anti-war protesters, mostly Arab citizens of Israel.

Israeli police spokesman Mickey Rosenfeld dismissed allegations of an arrest campaign and said recent protests in east Jerusalem did not have the required permits.

“There’s no campaign whatsoever,” he said. “When there’s a right wing or left wing, or Jewish or non-Jewish or Christian or Muslim demonstration … they have to be fully coordinated with the police.”

The residents of Bilin have marched every Friday since 2005 toward the barrier that separates villagers from 60 percent of their land. Last year, Nobel Peace Prize laureates Jimmy Carter and Desmond Tutu dropped by for a visit. Nearby Naalin started similar marches two years ago.

Israel says the barrier seeks to keep out Palestinian attackers, including suicide bombers. Palestinians call it a land grab because parts of it jut far into the West Bank.

The Bilin marchers, joined by Israeli sympathizers and international activists, chant and wave Palestinian flags. Some youths throw stones at Israeli soldiers. A Bilin man and five in Naalin have been killed and hundreds wounded over the years by soldiers. Israeli troops also have been injured, including one who lost an eye.

Since June, Israel has arrested almost three dozen villagers, mostly during night raids on the village, organizers say. More than 100 have been arrested in Naalin, including 16 in the past month.

Schoolteacher Abdullah Abu Rahmeh, a leader of the Bilin protests, has been held since last month on charges of incitement and weapons possession - the latter stemming from spent Israeli tear gas canisters, stun grenades and other munitions he collected to show visitors.

Two high-profile Palestinian activists were recently released without being charged.

Jamal Juma, coordinator of the Stop The Wall campaign, was held for 17 days. Mohammed Othman, who encourages a boycott against Israel, was released after nearly four months.

Othman, who was arrested upon his return from an advocacy trip to Norway, said he was interrogated almost daily. “The questions focused on the boycott movement, ‘How do you work on this and who are your contacts?’” said Othman, 33.

Interrogators searched his computer, his cell phone and e-mail accounts, he said. He had to pay a $2,700 bond.

Othman said he would continue with his activism. “I don’t do anything illegal,” he said. “All my work was out in the open.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01657.html

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Israel - violating freedom of speech Jan 20, 2010
It's unfortunate that Israel is supposedly taking a leaf from Hamas' playbook:

The Palestinian Center for Development and Media Freedoms (MADA) condemned on Tuesday the raiding of Al-Aqsa TV cameraman and news producer Ammar Yasir Altilawy’s home on Thursday.

Altilawy’s home was stormed in the evening by an armed person, working for the National security forces for the de facto Ministry of Interior, a statement issued by MADA said.

"My house was raided in Thursday evening by an armed and military uniformed person who is working in the National Security Forces affiliated to the Ministry of Interior in Gaza under the pretext that he wanted to take pictures of military operation carried out by someone before his martyrdom, so he stole my laptop and he left a message that if he did not find the pictures on the laptop, he will kidnap me by force,” Altilawy told MADA.

"After that I went to the police headquarters and I reported the incident and the testimony of a witness, and they told me that they cannot do anything for because the aggressor is working in the National Security, and that I have to come back to their office later.”

Following which Altilawy went with his father to the police office on Saturday to follow up on his complaint, expressing fear that the aggressors may return to kidnap him. According to his testimony given to MADA, the officer he met with was a sibling of the first officer, who, upon Altilawy’s request for assistance told officers to beat him.

“When I almost finished the sentence, the officer said to his soldiers:" hit him", so they beat me severely with sticks and [their] feet, they were about ten soldiers, and when my father (50 years old) tried to keep them away from me, they also beat him. After that they took me to a room, then the officer came to me after they put me on the wall and raised my hands on it, he severely beat and slapped me, and then ordered the soldiers to put me in the jail. They also confiscated my property and my mobile. After an hour, somebody from the police interfered and tried to convince me to apologize to the officer to release me but I refused because I didn't do anything wrong to him, after that they release me with a pledge.”

http://www.maannews.net/eng/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=255229
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

So, given you think that Hamas are terrorists - you are now agreeing with me that Israel is acting like terrorists! Wow - you have come a long way.

(BTW - what is it with Israel fanbois - whenever Israel commits a crime, they look around for another criminal and say 'well, at least we're not as bad as those guys' - but more often than not, inventing these other crimes)

But thanks for not denying Israels crimes.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

(BTW - what is it with Israel fanbois - whenever Israel commits a crime, they look around for another criminal and say 'well, at least we're not as bad as those guys' - but more often than not, inventing these other crimes)

Yeah, what is with those Muslims, that whenever a Muslim blows himself up, they look around for an incident of non-Muslim terrorists. Or, if the terror attack is especially brutal, they refer back to the crusades (as if a stroll through memory lane won't dig up Muslim war crimes equaling or surpassing the worst excesses of the crusades).
event horizon

I guess the Irony that you are doing it once more is lost on you? You're excusing your tactics by saying that Muslims also use this tactic when they excuse terrorist acts. I've never used this excuse, so you must be thinking of other muslims. You do realise you are excusing the tactic of blaming others, by blaming others - don't you? ;)

Ah, let me quote Avi Shlaim once more
This brief review of Israel's record over the past four decades makes it difficult to resist the conclusion that it has become a rogue state with "an utterly unscrupulous set of leaders". A rogue state habitually violates international law, possesses weapons of mass destruction and practises terrorism - the use of violence against civilians for political purposes. Israel fulfils all of these three criteria; the cap fits and it must wear it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/ja ... -palestine

So, to that list above we must now add - the silencing of political opponents within Israel.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

The title seems to be misleading. Israel arrested protesters, which were later on released. If it was a peacefull protest, although illegal, it is worrisome. But as long as Gideon Levy can write his articles there is nothing wrong with FoS in Israel I would say. If the obessesive Israel bashers would be only be so concerned with human rights in the Muslim/Arab world, the ME would be a better place. But they are not...

And yes I would call Hamas terrorists. Calling them a legal resistance movement while blowing up children, women in buses and restaurants in the name of Allah, says a lot about their supporters.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

The people arrested seem to have been holding peaceful protests and some were kept in custody for 'weeks and months' before being released without charge - says the article. So, I'd agree with FD it is 'worrying'.

The ANC blew up people and Thatcher famously agreed with the Apartheid regime that Mandela was a terrorist, Menachem Begin was proud of his terrorist attacks. So, whilst I have no hesitation in denouncing the killings of civilians by Hamas, Fatah or the IDF - I note that when Israel kills civilians where hear a litany of excuses for the crimes.

But let me quote from John J. Mearsheimer and Stephen M. Walt from 2006:

“Virtuous Israelis” versus “Evil Arabs”

The final moral argument portrays Israel as a country that has sought peace at every turn and showed great restraint even when provoked. The Arabs, by contrast, are said to have acted with great wickedness. This narrative—which is endlessly repeated by Israeli leaders and American apologists such as Alan Dershowitz—is yet another myth.41 In terms of actual behavior, Israel’s conduct is not morally distinguishable from the actions of its opponents.

Israeli scholarship shows that the early Zionists were far from benevolent towards the Palestinian Arabs.42 The Arab inhabitants did resist the Zionists’ encroachments, which is hardly surprising given that the Zionists were trying to create their own state on Arab lands. The Zionists responded vigorously, and neither side owns the moral high ground during this period. This same scholarship also reveals that the creation of Israel in 1947‐48 involved explicit acts of ethnic cleansing, including executions, massacres, and rapes by Jews.43

Furthermore, Israel’s subsequent conduct towards its Arab adversaries and its Palestinian subjects has often been brutal, belying any claim to morally superior conduct. Between 1949 and 1956, for example, Israeli security forces killed between 2,700 and 5000 Arab infiltrators, the overwhelming majority of them unarmed.44 The IDF conducted numerous cross‐border raids against its neighbors in the early 1950s, and though these actions were portrayed as defensive responses, they were actually part of a broader effort to expand Israel’s borders. Israel’s expansionist ambitions also led it to join Britain and France in attacking Egypt in 1956, and Israel withdrew from the lands it had conquered only in the face of intense U.S. pressure. 45

The IDF also murdered hundreds of Egyptian prisoners‐of‐war in both the 1956 and 1967 wars.46 In 1967, it expelled between 100,000 and 260,000 Palestinians from the newly‐conquered West Bank, and drove 80,000 Syrians from the Golan Heights.47 It was also complicit in the massacre of 700 innocent Palestinians at the Sabra and Shatila refugee camps following its invasion of Lebanon in 1982, and an Israeli investigatory commission found then‐Defence Minister Sharon “personally responsible” for these atrocities.48

Israeli personnel have tortured numerous Palestinian prisoners, systematically humiliated and inconvenienced Palestinian civilians, and used force indiscriminately against them on numerous occasions. During the First Intifida (1987‐1991), for example, the IDF distributed truncheons to its troops and encouraged them to break the bones of Palestinian protestors. The Swedish “Save the Children” organization estimated that “23,600 to 29,900 children required medical treatment for their beating injuries in the first two years of the intifida,” with nearly one‐third sustaining broken bones. Nearly one‐third of the beaten children were aged ten and under.”49

Israel’s response to the Second Intifida (2000‐2005) has been even more violent, leading Ha’aretz to declare that “the IDF … is turning into a killing machine whose efficiency is awe‐inspiring, yet shocking.”50 The IDF fired one million bullets in the first days of the uprising, which is far from a measured response.51 Since then, Israel has killed 3.4 Palestinians for every Israeli lost, the majority of whom have been innocent bystanders; the ratio of Palestinian to Israeli children killed is even higher (5.7 to 1).52 Israeli forces have also killed several foreign peace activists, including a 23 year‐old American woman crushed by an Israeli bulldozer in March 2003.53

These facts about Israel’s conduct have been amply documented by numerous human rights organizations—including prominent Israeli groups—and are not disputed by fair‐minded observers. And that is why four former officials of Shin Bet (the Israeli domestic security organization) condemned Israel’s conduct during the Second Intifada in November 2003. One of them declared “we are behaving disgracefully,” and another termed Israel’s conduct “patently immoral.”54

(Taken from the full paper - the numbers in the text are references - but an online copy is available here - with comments from Dershowitz and the authors' rebuttal to his points -
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n06/john-mears ... rael-lobby )

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Finally, we should not forget that the Zionists used terrorism when they were in a similarly weak position and trying to obtain their own state. Between 1944 and 1947, several Zionist organizations used terrorist bombings to drive the British from Palestine, and took the lives of many innocent civilians along the way.56 Israeli terrorists also murdered U.N. mediator Count Folke Bernadotte in 1948, because they opposed his proposal to internationalize Jerusalem.57 Nor were the perpetrators of these acts isolated extremists: the leaders of the murder plot were eventually granted amnesty by the Israeli government and one of them was elected to the Knesset. Another terrorist leader, who approved the murder but was not tried, was future Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir. Indeed, Shamir openly argued that “neither Jewish ethics nor Jewish tradition can disqualify terrorism as a means of combat.” Rather, terrorism had “a great part to play … in our war against the occupier [Britain].”58

If the Palestinians’ use of terrorism is morally reprehensible today, so was Israel’s reliance upon it in the past, and thus one cannot justify U.S. support for Israel on the grounds that its past conduct was morally superior.59
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:You're excusing your tactics by saying that Muslims also use this tactic when they excuse terrorist acts. I've never used this excuse

Weird. I thought you used this excuse when justifying Muhammad's war crimes because it was the 'norm' in those days to execute prisoners of war. Worse, you also excused Muhammad's marriage and statutory rape of Aisha because old men also married young girls too.

In fact, just doing a quick search, I found you using the same 'tactic' you are complaining of:

shafique wrote:^Actually, I agree (and have commented before) that the Iranian thugs are taking a leaf out of the Israeli playbook when they attack unarmed protestors.

Here we have a fine example of someone bringing up Iran and you point to Israel.

So, what were you on about others changing the subject?

shafique wrote:whenever Israel commits a crime, they look around for another criminal and say 'well, at least we're not as bad as those guys'

Hey, I'm just agreeing with you. It's unfortunate that Israel is taking a leaf out of Hamas' playbook when they arrest 'peaceful' protesters. In Hamas' case, they also torture journalists.
event horizon

shafique wrote:The people arrested seem to have been holding peaceful protests and some were kept in custody for 'weeks and months' before being released without charge - says the article. So, I'd agree with FD it is 'worrying'.

No, the weekly protests in Bilin and Na'alin aren't peaceful - your own article says they are a response to 'stone-throwing and rioting'.
event horizon

Peculiar Shafique that you post the article in a thread called `Israel - violating freedom of speech'. The article is a clear example that there is nothing wrong with FoS in Israel. As the writers specify, the article is based on Israeli scolarship and has quotes from Israeli's, critizising Israeli politics. Not, that I agree with the article, as the article itself shows that Israel is on higher moral grounds. When will the Arabs/Palestinians allow such an open debate about their history and mistakes they made and are still making? And try to learn from it? When will Palestinians en masse condemn terrorism? Probably never, as many others on this forum they continue to blame outsiders without any self-criticsm, that is not the way forward.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Israel - violating freedom of speech Jan 21, 2010
Flying Dutchman wrote:The title seems to be misleading. Israel arrested protesters, which were later on released. If it was a peacefull protest, although illegal, it is worrisome. But as long as Gideon Levy can write his articles there is nothing wrong with FoS in Israel I would say. If the obessesive Israel bashers would be only be so concerned with human rights in the Muslim/Arab world, the ME would be a better place. But they are not...

And yes I would call Hamas terrorists. Calling them a legal resistance movement while blowing up children, women in buses and restaurants in the name of Allah, says a lot about their supporters.

Flying Dutchman, you are a twisted and sad human being who intentionally ignore facts and overtly shows bias.

How could you ignore the simple fact that, it’s humans’ nature to resist and in some cases tend to use violence when faced with such injustice, oppression, occupation etc.

If my land was taking, being bullied daily, my house is being illegally demolished, my relative die on front of my eyes, and live in a horrible condition because of occupation and apartheid government like Israel – I would certainly stand up for myself as any human would do.

So stop being bias and try to be a better human who judges situation according to their merit and background. Israel is an occupier, and will never lives in a peace until it’s pulls back from Palestine territories, Lebanon/Syrian’s territories, respect Palestinians's right to their lands and human right.

It's beyond me when you wanna sleep at night knowing that you’ve been ruining and f….ck the lives of so many innocent people.

I feel sorry for you, because a hater like yourself, who hates Islam for no reason is certainly living a life of misery and complex existence. As a fellow human, I worry about you, so try to learn to embrace justice, peace, and love to your fellow human being - this will help you to feel much healthier, happier and have a rewarding existance.
:)
Humbleman
Dubai forums Addict

event horizon wrote:
shafique wrote:You're excusing your tactics by saying that Muslims also use this tactic when they excuse terrorist acts. I've never used this excuse

Weird. I thought you used this excuse when justifying Muhammad's war crimes because it was the 'norm' in those days to execute prisoners of war. Worse, you also excused Muhammad's marriage and statutory rape of Aisha because old men also married young girls too.

In fact, just doing a quick search, I found you using the same 'tactic' you are complaining of:

shafique wrote:^Actually, I agree (and have commented before) that the Iranian thugs are taking a leaf out of the Israeli playbook when they attack unarmed protestors.

Another epic failure in comprehension.

Your tactic is to excuse Israeli actions (not condemn them) by trying to deflect attention to other people's crimes.

In my quote above - I was agreeing that Israel is as criminal as Iran - agreeing that both are wrong. I've explicitly said that I condemn Hamas' terrorist actions as well as Israel's - actions which are likely to kill civilians are condemned whoever carries them out.

That said, if you are finally agreeing with me that Israel's criminal acts are as bad as Hamas' then we have indeed made progress.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

FD - the article is quite clear. The organisers and other peaceful protestors were arrested and some kept for months without trial.

The reference to stone throwing etc is from the Israeli authorities - and, with respect, they would say that - wouldn't they. The weekly marches/protests have had Archbishop Tutu and President Carter attending - and yet the report is highlighting a crackdown by the Israelis - attempting to limit the peaceful expressions of protest.

It appears that Israeli authorities can't handle peaceful, co-ordinated protests:

The arrests come at a time of shifting tactics in the protests against Israel’s occupation of the West Bank and annexation of east Jerusalem, territories the Palestinians want for their future state. Israel captured both from Jordan in the 1967 Mideast war.

The violence of the second Palestinian uprising, with mass marches and violent attacks, has given way to carefully calibrated protests and legal action in which Israeli and Palestinian activists now often work together.

Note - the 'violence' of the past, has 'given way' to the co-ordinated protests. Not my words, the Washington Posts. I'm not surprised you prefer to quote the Israeli police - but I'm surprised that you think their excuses are credible.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Humbleman wrote:How could you ignore the simple fact that, it’s humans’ nature to resist and in some cases tend to use violence when faced with such injustice, oppression, occupation etc.

Sure, but blowing up little children isnot (brave) resistance. You seem to argue that it is.

Humbleman wrote:I feel sorry for you, because a hater like yourself, who hates Islam for no reason

I hear that a lot, but why do you think I hate Islam?

I think it was you Humbleman who once wrote that all wars and every bad in the world is the fault of Zionist Jews. Which is very typical for obessesive Israel bashers, but also makes me glad that there is an Israel as long as there are people like you. People who say they come in peace, but are in fact wicked.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

FD, perhaps you hate Islam because you believe the Israeli spin?

shafique wrote:..
But let me quote from John J. Mearsheimer and Stephen M. Walt from 2006:

“Virtuous Israelis” versus “Evil Arabs”

The final moral argument portrays Israel as a country that has sought peace at every turn and showed great restraint even when provoked. The Arabs, by contrast, are said to have acted with great wickedness. This narrative—which is endlessly repeated by Israeli leaders and American apologists such as Alan Dershowitz—is yet another myth.41 In terms of actual behavior, Israel’s conduct is not morally distinguishable from the actions of its opponents.

Israeli scholarship shows that the early Zionists were far from benevolent towards the Palestinian Arabs.42 The Arab inhabitants did resist the Zionists’ encroachments, which is hardly surprising given that the Zionists were trying to create their own state on Arab lands. The Zionists responded vigorously, and neither side owns the moral high ground during this period. This same scholarship also reveals that the creation of Israel in 1947‐48 involved explicit acts of ethnic cleansing, including executions, massacres, and rapes by Jews.43

Finally, we should not forget that the Zionists used terrorism when they were in a similarly weak position and trying to obtain their own state. Between 1944 and 1947, several Zionist organizations used terrorist bombings to drive the British from Palestine, and took the lives of many innocent civilians along the way.56 Israeli terrorists also murdered U.N. mediator Count Folke Bernadotte in 1948, because they opposed his proposal to internationalize Jerusalem.57 Nor were the perpetrators of these acts isolated extremists: the leaders of the murder plot were eventually granted amnesty by the Israeli government and one of them was elected to the Knesset. Another terrorist leader, who approved the murder but was not tried, was future Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir. Indeed, Shamir openly argued that “neither Jewish ethics nor Jewish tradition can disqualify terrorism as a means of combat.” Rather, terrorism had “a great part to play … in our war against the occupier [Britain].”58

If the Palestinians’ use of terrorism is morally reprehensible today, so was Israel’s reliance upon it in the past, and thus one cannot justify U.S. support for Israel on the grounds that its past conduct was morally superior.

I'm guessing, but correct me if I'm wrong, you don't view Judaism/Zionism with the same hatred as Islam despite the terrorist acts which have taken place in the name of Judaism (eg Goldstein) or Zionism (those referred to above).
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

The writers should specify their sources, but I am guessing that they base their conclusions on Benny Morris. If you read the whole story it paints quite a different pictures than those selective quotes. 70% of the Pali refugees never saw one Israeli soldier, they left on their own. Abbas for example also lied about the circumstances why his family left, research has shown they left by their own choice. Ethnic cleansing in some cases did take place, but lets not forget that the Arabs were the most successful in that, whiping out the entire jewsih population in the Westbank and East Jerusalem. Of course if you want stir things up, you can selectively pich your cherries and go from there. Like Baruch Goldstein. Strange that people like you donot seem to know the names of the hunderds of Arab terrorists, but seem to love the name of Baruch Goldstein. This should tell you a lot.
It seems you, Shafique, also want people to hate. I donot hate Islam, but I think some aspects of it are very worrisome.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Flying Dutchman wrote:
Humbleman wrote:How could you ignore the simple fact that, it’s humans’ nature to resist and in some cases tend to use violence when faced with such injustice, oppression, occupation etc.

Sure, but blowing up little children isnot (brave) resistance. You seem to argue that it is.

Humbleman wrote:I feel sorry for you, because a hater like yourself, who hates Islam for no reason

I hear that a lot, but why do you think I hate Islam?

I think it was you Humbleman who once wrote that all wars and every bad in the world is the fault of Zionist Jews. Which is very typical for obessesive Israel bashers, but also makes me glad that there is an Israel as long as there are people like you. People who say they come in peace, but are in fact wicked.

See, now you’re upset just because I pointed out some facts – that’s proved my point earlier that, most reaction are caused by action.

Now, imagine this scenario
If I killed your sister or father or mum, force you out of your own home, occupy your ancestor’s lands and make your life unbearable - what you would do to me then? I bet you would definitely try your best to get back at me at any cost.

That’s exactly what has been happening to the Palestinians people at the hand of Israel. However, when Palestinians people react to such injustice, you and likeminded people quickly label them as terrorists, but on the another hand, label Israel as a victim who has the right to do whatever it pleases, kills, destroys etc.

So to me, you and likeminded flocks who intentionally divert the truth and unethically ignore to state the actual that fact that, what really caused those Palestinians people to react is, the fact that they have been under occupation for too long and no one has give it damn about their suffering.

When American got attacked, it went on the rampage and invaded 2 countries, killing so many innocent children and poor civilians who have had nothing to do with the attack. So what do you say about that? Or it’s okay for Israel to occupy Palestinian, Syria, Lebanon’s lands, and somehow those countries’ people suppose to do nothing about!

I never and will never justify the killing of any innocent human being – ever. However, I do understand the anger and frustration of those Palestinians people whom their lives and future have been ruined by Israel’s government for no reason. Palestinians did not commit nor participate in the Holocaust, so why they are being punished.

Look, hate is not in my dictionary, because hate arises from ignorance, and therefore a virtue of a weak and uncivilized human. I don’t have a problem with Jewish people at all. I just don’t understand why they are punishing the wrong people for their past suffering.

Respect
:)
Humbleman
Dubai forums Addict

Humbleman wrote:If I killed your sister or father or mum, force you out of your own home, occupy your ancestor’s lands and make your life unbearable - what you would do to me then? I bet you would definitely try your best to get back at me at any cost.

I wouldn't intentially blow up myself with little children around me. Also the conflict caused more jewish than Arab refugees. Loads of the so called Arab refugees were also immigrants from neighboring countries attracked to the wealth of the jewish settlements. That the reason the UNRWA had to change the definition of being a refugee.

Humbleman wrote:the fact that they have been under occupation for too long and no one has give it damn about their suffering.

More than 90 % of Palestinians currently are under Palestinian rule, Hamas or PA. Westbank Palestinians are better off than their cousins in Jordan.

Humbleman wrote:Palestinians did not commit nor participate in the Holocaust, so why they are being punished.

The mufti played a part. They are punished by their Arab leaders, who choose war and violence.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Flying Dutchman wrote:The writers should specify their sources, but I am guessing that they base their conclusions on Benny Morris.

The writers have given extensive references (all those little numbers in the quotes I gave are references).

If you click through the the article on London Review of Books, you find that Daniel Pipes and Dershowitz haver replied and basically tried to refute the points of fact made. You can read the author's responses - and see that they haven't actually misunderstood/misrepresented or misquoted.

Far from not painting a different story - their points are indeed vallid. They aren't quoting Mahmood Abbas when they rightly point out that attempted ethnic cleansing, rape and other instances of terrorism took place.

Flying Dutchman wrote: ...Like Baruch Goldstein. Strange that people like you donot seem to know the names of the hunderds of Arab terrorists, but seem to love the name of Baruch Goldstein.

I don't know the names of the Israeli terrorists who booby-trapped the bodies of British soldiers - nor do I know the names of the terrorists who blew up the King David hotel. I'm not sure what your point is - Goldstein is a religiously motivated terrorist whose name is venerated by a minority of Israelis - he's no worse or better than Palestinian suicide bombers who target civilians. On the other hand, I do know the names of the 9/11 terrorists and also the names of 7/7 terrorists.

Flying Dutchman wrote:It seems you, Shafique, also want people to hate. I donot hate Islam, but I think some aspects of it are very worrisome.

I'm glad you don't hate Islam - this separates you from the likes of eh and other Islamophobes out there.

I don't hate any people - I only hate injustice. I have a lot of love and respect for the countless Israelis who also share this trait - but then again, I don't base my praise and condemnation of someone because of their skin colour, nationality or religion - I address their actions.

Anyway - do you disagree with the other points the authors make above - that the Arabs have been unfairly portrayed by Israeli spin?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I wouldn't intentially blow up myself with little children around me.

So the difference is that a hopeless palestinian who can't bear his life and injustice anymore goes and loads himself with bombs to end his life in revenge blowing everbody else around him regardless of their age. On the other hand an isreali soldier, who couldn't dare to end his precious worldly life the same way, being the rich and powerful he is, goes out an takes his revenge by casting bombs and missiles over the thousands of them.

This is the result.....

The Impact of the Conflict
on Children

124 Israeli children have been killed by Palestinians and 1,441 Palestinian children have been killed by Israelis since September 29, 2000.

Click chart to enlarge. Source: Remember These Children.

“The majority of these [Palestinian] children were killed and injured while going about normal daily activities, such as going to school, playing, shopping, or simply being in their homes. Sixty-four percent of children killed during the first six months of 2003 died as a result of Israeli air and ground attacks, or from indiscriminate fire from Israeli soldiers.”

- Catherine Cook

Source: Remember These Children, a coalition of groups calling for an end to the killing of children and a fair resolution of the conflict. (View the complete list of the victims, which was last updated on November 20, 2009.)

It appears that Remember These Children has not yet documented a number of the Palestinian children killed during Israel's Dec 27, 2008 - Jan 18, 2009 assault on Gaza. They report only 269 of the Palestinian children killed during that time (and an additional 9 who later died from wounds inflicted during that time period). B'Tselem has documented that Israel killed 318 Palestinian children in Gaza during this time. We do not doubt the validity of this higher number as they are extremely careful in their documentation.

http://www.ifamericansknew.org/stats/children.html

More to read on israeli deliberate killings....
http://ifamericansknew.org/stats/child_41304.html

Israeli Bombs Continue To Kill Lebanese Children

In 2006, the job got more difficult. In a recognized war crime the state of Israel dropped tens of thousands of cluster bombs on Lebanon. Cluster bombs are banned by many countries since they often lead to great civilian deaths and operate as landmines. Cluster bombs dropped over terrain are hard to spot and often mistaken for toys by children.

Since Israel’s withdraw from most of south Lebanon (it still occupies the Sha’aba Farms) and between the 2006 War (which killed over 1,200 Lebanese mostly civilians), numerous Lebanese have been killed by these Israeli (American provided) weapons of war. Young Lebanese children often accidentally pick up cluster bombs and step on landmines.

Not only has Israel refused to handover the location of landmines but also the coordinates for the cluster bomb droppings. If it did, these Lebanese lives and injures could be spared since the government and UN would quarantine an area until the finished clean up. But without such information, UN workers are racing against the clock hoping to clear up the next bomb before another innocent child is injured or killed. These two Lebanese children were recently injured:

http://marcovilla.instablogs.com/entry/ ... -children/
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

I thought I'd give you the references to some of the points (let me know which other ones you want, and I'll paste them here)

The Zionists responded vigorously, and neither side owns the moral high ground during this period. This same scholarship also reveals that the creation of Israel in 1947‐48 involved explicit acts of ethnic cleansing, including executions, massacres, and rapes by Jews.43

The references for the above is:
Morris, Birth Revisited. It should be noted that many Israeli documents concerning the events of 1948 remain classified; Morris expects “that with respect to both expulsions and atrocities, we can expect additional revelations as the years pass and more Israeli records become available.” Morris, “Revisiting the Palestinian Exodus,” in Rogan and Shlaim, War for Palestine, p. 49. In fact, he maintains that the reported cases of rape he knows about are “just the tip of the iceberg.” See Shavit, “Survival of the Fittest.”

So a few papers by Morris, but other references too.

Finally, we should not forget that the Zionists used terrorism when they were in a similarly weak position and trying to obtain their own state. Between 1944 and 1947, several Zionist organizations used terrorist bombings to drive the British from Palestine, and took the lives of many innocent civilians along the way.56

Reference:
56 See J. Bowyer Bell, Terror Out of Zion: The Fight for Israeli Independence ( New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Publishers, 1996); Joseph Heller, The Stern Gang: Ideology, Politics and Terror, 1940‐1949 (London: Frank Cass, 1995); Bruce Hoffmann, The Failure of British Military Strategy within Palestine, 1939‐1947 (Israel: Bar‐Ilan University, 1983); Morris, Righteous Victims, pp. 173‐180; Segev, One Palestine, pp. 468‐486. According to Haim Levenberg, 210 of the 429 casualties from Jewish terrorism in Palestine during 1946 were civilians. The other 219 were police and soldiers. Levenberg, Military Preparations, p. 72. Furthermore, it was Jewish terrorists from the infamous Irgun who in late 1937 introduced the practice of placing bombs in buses and large crowds. Benny Morris speculates that, “The Arabs may well have learned the value of terrorist bombings from the Jews.” Righteous Victims, pp. 147, 201. Also see Lenni Brenner, The Iron Wall: Zionist Revisionism from Jabotinsky to Shamir (London: Zed Books, 1984), p. 100; Yehoshua Porath, The Palestinian Arab National Movement: from Riots to Rebellion, Vol. II, 1929‐1939 (London: Frank Cass, 1977), p. 238. Finally, Morris notes that during the 1948 war the main Jewish terrorist groups “knowingly planted bombs in bus stops with the aim of killing non‐combatants, including women and children.” Birth Revisited, p. 80.

Nor were the perpetrators of these acts isolated extremists: the leaders of the murder plot were eventually granted amnesty by the Israeli government and one of them was elected to the Knesset. Another terrorist leader, who approved the murder but was not tried, was future Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir. Indeed, Shamir openly argued that “neither Jewish ethics nor Jewish tradition can disqualify terrorism as a means of combat.” Rather, terrorism had “a great part to play … in our war against the occupier [Britain].”58

If the Palestinians’ use of terrorism is morally reprehensible today, so was Israel’s reliance upon it in the past, and thus one cannot justify U.S. support for Israel on the grounds that its past conduct was morally superior.

Reference:
Quoted in Chomsky, Fateful Triangle, pp. 485‐486. Israeli Prime Minister Levi Eshkol used to call Menachem Begin “the terrorist.” Barzilai, “Brief History.” On Shamir, see Avishai Margalit, “The Violent Life of Yitzhak Shamir,” New York Review of Books, May 14, 1992, pp. 18‐24.
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:Anyway - do you disagree with the other points the authors make above - that the Arabs have been unfairly portrayed by Israeli spin?

I thought the point of the article was that Israeli's are just as bad as the Arabs in the conflict. How are Arabs protrayed by Israel?
-As the ones who started the violence with progroms in the 1920s?
-As the agressors in 1948, 1967 and 1973?
What is the spin?
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

The point the authors were making is that the Israeli spin demonises the Palestinians when

Finally, we should not forget that the Zionists used terrorism when they were in a similarly weak position and trying to obtain their own state. Between 1944 and 1947, several Zionist organizations used terrorist bombings to drive the British from Palestine, and took the lives of many innocent civilians along the way.

They are making the point that the Palestinians are no different from the Israelis, and contrasting that with the spin that Israelis are virtuous (the section title was included in the quote I gave “Virtuous Israelis” versus “Evil Arabs”)

It's a simple equation - if the Arabs are evil, then so are Israelis.

Different sections of their paper deal with current day violations - but this section was about the past terrorist crimes committed when Zionists didn't have the arsenal of the USA backing them up.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:They are making the point that the Palestinians are no different from the Israelis, and contrasting that with the spin that Israelis are virtuous (the section title was included in the quote I gave “Virtuous Israelis” versus “Evil Arabs”)

I agree that Israeli's have been no angels in the past nore are they now. What is problematic however is the obessesive focus on Israel while loosing sight of worse human right violations in the ME. Israel is special though in the ME, being one of the few thriving democracies, FoS and its care for its citizens. Most other states donot care for their population.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

shafique wrote:
event horizon wrote:

Your tactic is to excuse Israeli actions (not condemn them) by trying to deflect attention to other people's crimes.

In my quote above - I was agreeing that Israel is as criminal as Iran - agreeing that both are wrong. I've explicitly said that I condemn Hamas' terrorist actions as well as Israel's - actions which are likely to kill civilians are condemned whoever carries them out.

That said, if you are finally agreeing with me that Israel's criminal acts are as bad as Hamas' then we have indeed made progress.

Cheers,
Shafique

I said that it is 'unfortunate' that Israel is taking a leaf from Hamas' playbook. I agree that arresting protesters, unless they are violent, as the weekly protests in the West Bank are, is wrong.
event horizon

Re: Israel - violating freedom of speech Jan 22, 2010
Great, I'm glad we agree that Israel's actions regarding the protestors should be condemned.

The conversation with FD has moved on to the misinformation the Israelis put out designed to demonise the Palestinians. The extracts from the paper I quoted above details part of this - exposing the myth that Israeli's are virtuous whereas the Palestinians are evil (the authors cite the fact the Israeli side used rape as a terror tactic when the zionist movement was as militarily weak as Hamas is today - something I didn't know, for example).

So, given we agree that the Israelis are to be condemned for their actions - it shows that progress is being made and Israeli protestations that they are doing 'nothing wrong' isn't working as it used to in the past.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Israel - violating freedom of speech Jan 22, 2010
Israel is special though in the ME, being one of the few thriving democracies

I bet you think it is ....Here, I think I know what it is and what it continuesly wants to be...

Agonistic Pluralism, accepts conflict as inevitable and should be channeled in a productive way.
Anticipatory democracy, which relies on some degree of disciplined and usually market-informed anticipation of the future, to guide major decisions.
Athenian democracy (sometimes called classical democracy), as originally developed in the Classical Greek city-state of Athens.
Bioregional democracy, matching geopolitical divisions to natural ecological regions.
Constitutional democracy, democracy governed by a constitution.
Defensive democracy, a situation in which a democratic society has to limit some rights and freedoms in order to protect the institutions of the democracy.
Deliberative democracy, which focuses on hearing out every policy alternative, from every direction, and providing time to research them all.
Demarchy, a form of democracy which has people randomly selected from the citizenry to either act as representatives, or to make decisions in specific areas of governance (defense, environment, etc.)
E-democracy, which comprises the use of electronic communications technologies, such as the Internet, in enhancing democratic processes within a democratic republic or representative democracy.
Emergent democracy, a social system in which blogging undermines mainstream media.
Democratic centralism, an organizational method where members of a political party discuss and debate matters of policy and direction and after the decision is made by majority vote, all members are expected to follow that decision in public.
Democratic dictatorship Also known as democratur.
Direct democracy, implementations of democracy in more pure forms; classically termed pure democracy.
Dominant-party system, a democratic party system where only one political party can realistically become the government, by itself or in a coalition government.
Economic democracy, a theory of democracy involving people having access to subsistence, or equity in living standards.
Grassroots democracy, a form of democracy emphasizing trust in small decentralized units at the municipal government level, possibly using urban secession to establish the formal legal authority to make decisions made at this local level binding.
Illiberal democracy, a type of representative democracy where there are no or only weak limits on the power of the elected representatives to rule as they please.
Interactive Democracy, a proposed form of democracy utilising information technology to allow citizens to propose new policies, "second" proposals and vote on the resulting laws (that are refined by Parliament) in a referendum.
Intra-Party Democracy, a democratic process within a one party state government. This debated among scholars if the Chinese Communist Party resemble this process during leadership transitions.
Jacksonian democracy, a form of democracy popularized by President Andrew Jackson promoted the strength of the executive branch and the Presidency at the expense of Congressional power.
Jeffersonian democracy, a form of government named after American statesman Thomas Jefferson.
Liberal democracy, a form of representative democracy with protection for individual liberty and property by rule of law.
Market democracy, another name for democratic capitalism, an economic ideology based on a tripartite arrangement of a market-based economy based predominantly on economic incentives through free markets, a democratic polity and a liberal moral-cultural system which encourages pluralism.
Multiparty democracy, a two-party system requires voters to align themselves in large blocs, sometimes so large that they cannot agree on any overarching principles.
New Democracy, a Maoist concept based on Mao Zedong's "Bloc of Four Classes" theory in post-revolutionary China.
Non-partisan democracy, a system of representative government or organization such that universal and periodic elections (by secret ballot) take place without reference to political parties.
Parliamentary democracy, a democratic system of government where the executive branch of a parliamentary government is typically a cabinet, and headed by a prime minister who is considered the head of government.
Participatory democracy, which involves consent or consensus decision making and offers greater political representation, e.g., wider control of proxies others trust them with, to those who get directly involved and actually participate.
Radical democracy, a type of democracy that focuses on the importance of nurturing and tolerating difference and dissent in decision-making processes.
Religious democracy, the values of religion play a role in the public arena in a society populated by religious people.
Republican democracy, a republic which has democracy through elected representatives
Representative democracy describes indirect democracy where sovereignty is held by the people's representatives.
Social democracy, a political philosophy that calls upon government to be for the people. In contrast to Socialists, modern Social Democrats do not believe in nationalizing industry
Sociocracy, a democratic system of governance based on consent decision making, circle organization, and double-linked representation.
Sortition, a democratic method of choosing political and administrative officials, advocated by Aristotle, and used in classical Athens and Venice, which is based on the drawing of lots as opposed to election by vote.
Soviet democracy or Council democracy, a form of democracy where the workers of a locality elect recallable representatives into organs of power called soviets (councils.) The local soviets elect the members of regional soviets who go on to elect higher soviets.
Totalitarian democracy, a system of government in which lawfully elected representatives maintain the integrity of a nation state whose citizens, while granted the right to vote, have little or no participation in the decision-making process of the government.
Westminster democracy, a parliamentary system of government modeled after that of the United Kingdom system.
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk