Is Iran Shooting Itself In The Foot By Doing This????

Topic locked
Is Iran shooting itself in the foot by doing this???? Feb 23, 2010
Is Iran shooting itself in the foot by doing this????

The Director General of the Dubai-based Institute for Near East and Gulf Military Analysis thinks so!!!

It surely looks like a ridiculous, untimely thing to do??

http://gulfnews.com/news/region/iran/ir ... d-1.587153

8) 8)

Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Is Iran shooting itself in the foot by doing this???? Feb 23, 2010
Iran shot itslef before with stupid nuclear programs!

There is nothing wrong with defending of the real name of "PERSIAN GULF". This is the only deceision of this government that persians really approve recently!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

melika969 wrote:Iran shot itslef before with stupid nuclear programs!

There is nothing wrong with defending of the real name of "PERSIAN GULF". This is the only deceision of this government that persians really approve recently!

This move is obviously aimed at rallying domestic support for the government in light of the looming international sanctions against Iran!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

but protests against the government is much more stronger, so these moves wont chnage people to support the government!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

It's an interesting move by Iran - I guess there are limited options for making such 'gestures' - and of course it's political and the timing is not accidental.

I think it's up to countries to decide on names - I've no issue with the Mumbai/Bombay'; Beijing/Peking debate - and if Gulf States want to call the Persian Gulf the 'Arabian Gulf' they have got to duke it out with the Persians. Persians have history and the maps on their side I'd imagine - but hey, the Arabs won't be the first in the region to want to rename bits of territory! ;)

But, to be honest, I think there are more important issues to be worried about :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

melika969 wrote:but protests against the government is much more stronger, so these moves wont chnage people to support the government!

As you know, this move, if enforced, will be costly economically (and politically with regards to its neighbors), …something that Iran does not need at the moment!!

Melika, the upcoming sanctions might indeed prove to be your salvation. When a country is squeezed economically (by sanctions), unemployment and inflation will rise, thus creating more public anger against the government…which may lead to bigger protests… and perhaps to an all out revolution down the road!!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Tom Jones wrote:
melika969 wrote:but protests against the government is much more stronger, so these moves wont chnage people to support the government!

As you know, this move, if enforced, will be costly economically (and politically with regards to its neighbors), …something that Iran does not need at the moment!!

Melika,the upcoming sanctions might indeed prove to be your salvation. When a country is squeezed economically (by sanctions), unemployment and inflation will rise, thus creating more public anger against the government…which may lead to bigger protests… and perhaps an all out revolution down the road!!!

8) 8)

Unemployment and inflation is not a new issue for us. As I provioded a simple example in some other thread, 30 years before 1 USD was equal to 70 IRR(Iranian Rial), now 1 USD is equal to 10,000 IRR.

Official unemployment in Iran is 22% right now, and the reall statistics are definitely more, People with bachelor degree are working as taxi drivers, price of accomocation has gone up for 400% in the last 5 years.

With the new policy of government which is going to eliminate all subisidy, the inflation will even go higher...

Soooooo....
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

melika969 wrote:
Tom Jones wrote:

Melika,the upcoming sanctions might indeed prove to be your salvation. When a country is squeezed economically (by sanctions), unemployment and inflation will rise, thus creating more public anger against the government…which may lead to bigger protests… and perhaps an all out revolution down the road!!!

8) 8)

Unemployment and inflation is not a new issue for us. As I provioded a simple example in some other thread, 30 years before 1 USD was equal to 70 IRR(Iranian Rial), now 1 USD is equal to 10,000 IRR.

Official unemployment in Iran is 22% right now, and the reall statistics are definitely more, People with bachelor degree are working as taxi drivers, price of accomocation has gone up for 400% in the last 5 years.

With the new policy of government which is going to eliminate all subisidy, the inflation will even go higher...

Soooooo....

If you think things are bad now.....wait until the sanctions take effect!!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Ok, thank you!

only people who are getting fooled by these gestures are you!

I have lived in war time here, inflation was 80 percent! so i know how terrible it can be!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

melika969 wrote:

Ok, thank you!

only people who are getting fooled by these gestures are you!

I have lived in war time here, inflation was 80 percent! so i know how terrible it can be!

But honey, what about Weimar republic kind-of-inflation during wartime?

We're talking a bucketload of papercash for a loaf of bread here. 80 percent inflation is peanuts compared to that :shock:

Try googling Zimbabwe inflation or Weimar republic. Holy crappers, reconsider the effect of fullblown sanctions hon. :(
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

^^^I don't underestimate sanctions, as I said before, trying to make nuclear wepons and wiping off Israel was the time when Iran shot intslef in the foot!

I'm saying we are familliar with inflation,unemployment and war!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Well you're a tough lady, I'm just a girl remember :D

But anyway...I'm opposed to sanctions because it hurts the dissidents too and to be frank; what on earth does Iran have for nuclear capability?

Its just a bunch of Israel bullocks. Its better to just open trade and talk with eachother and see what it brings. If that doesn't work, war is the only option left.
RobbyG

^^^Well I wish that would be true, If someday they reached nuclear, they are not afraid to use it against Iran's own people(protestors)!

But I think they are doing a good serious job in nuclear, there is too much evidence for it internally.
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

melika969 wrote:^^^Well I wish that would be true, If someday they reached nuclear, they are not afraid to use it against Iran's own people(protestors)!

But I think they are doing a good serious job in nuclear, there is too much evidence for it internally.

Considering that the above warning is coming from a very intellectually capable lady from Iran... :wink:

Bomb the crap out of it [Iran] before those religious lunatics send us some warheads this way :shock:
RobbyG

melika969 wrote:Iran shot itslef before with stupid nuclear programs!

I agree. How do the Arabs get it into their heads to change the Persian Gulf into Arabian Gulf? :albino:

Mark my words, as soon as Iran is fully accepted again, the Persian Gulf will be restored and the Arabs will feel small again.

After all, Persian history is richer than rich. Still can't believe you peepz have those religous nutters in charge although I've heard reports that Iran is now a military dictatorship?

The reports go that the Revolutionary Garde has taken control of matters. Is that true Mel?
RobbyG

It’s really disheartening to see innocent people suffer unnecessarily, due to avertable circumstances, such as those brought on by the irrational policies of their fanatical leaders.

But I guess oppressing their people is sadly the raison d'être for such leaders!!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Is Iran shooting itself in the foot by doing this???? Feb 24, 2010
Hey....since the issue here is the name of the “Gulf,” isn’t easy for Iran and the Gulf Arabs to get together and agree on some name, a totally different one… or perhaps calling it the “Persian Arab Gulf.”

This bickering over of the name is getting too ridiculous!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

how about THE gulf ;) :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

rudeboy wrote:how about THE gulf ;) :D

Know your history mate. Persian Gulf ;)
RobbyG

RobbyG wrote:

Persia is "history" and its Iran now. So we cannt have Irani Gulf, it sounds like some dish. so lets just call it the afghan gulf :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

rudeboy wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

Persia is "history" and its Iran now. So we cannt have Irani Gulf, it sounds like some dish. so lets just call it the afghan gulf :D

I think I like Crude Gulf better
RobbyG

Bomb the crap out of it [Iran] before those religious lunatics send us some warheads this way

No No No NO!!!
I hate war!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

After all, Persian history is richer than rich. Still can't believe you peepz have those religous nutters in charge although I've heard reports that Iran is now a military dictatorship?

The reports go that the Revolutionary Garde has taken control of matters. Is that true Mel?

Yes, that s totally true, and well basiji s are part of military too, but they dont wear any uniform and that s how they can shoot people and just deny!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

do u have any sense of nationalism and ethinicity???!!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

I did not think Iran (by and thru Ajmadeaiwhatever) had any toes left to shoot at...
XPT
Dubai forums Addict

melika969 wrote:

do u have any sense of nationalism and ethinicity???!!

Yes, most certainly I do, but where it’s important and appropriate!!!

If the “Persian” word is so precious to the Iranians, why don’t they now call Iran “Persia” instead of Iran?

Melika, we can’t cling to History with such passion that it blinds us from the most important pressing issues of today. So many parts of the world had their names changed throughout history, and I could name probably tens or hundreds of places. People always accept their new realities and adapt to them.

When the Gulf was named the Persian Gulf, there were no Arab gulf states around it, but now there are. They feel they have as much right to this gulf as you do, including the naming of it.

So, big deal if they call it the Arabian Gulf and you continue to call it the Persian Gulf.

You also share part of the Gulf that’s called the Gulf of Oman, but you don’t seem to mind that name!!

So let’s not get bogged down by the past, and instead concentrate on our (huge) current problems, and on our future!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

TJ, I need to correct you there, Iran's name has always been Iran since 1000 B.C. It has been taken from Aryan names, which moved to Iran in that time.

Name of entites is the only thing that keep and show their own heritage, so if you don't care to rename UK to UAE, I don't care. We won't let Arabs to steal our history.
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

to make this debate short why not just call it the "Persian Arabian Peninsula" or "PERA Gulf" (PErsian aRAbian) hehehehe

but on the contrary its still is persian gulf: Check this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_Gulf

With the rise of Arab nationalism (Pan-Arabism) in the 1960s, most Arab states started adopting the term "Arabian Gulf" (in Arabic: الخلیج العربي al-ḫalīǧ al-ʻarabi) to refer to the waterway.[2][33],[34],[35]. However, this naming has not found much acceptance outside of the Arab world, and is not recognized by the United Nations[2][36][37][38] or any other international organization.[2][39] The United Nations Secretariat on many occasions has requested that only "Persian Gulf" be used as the official and standard geographical designation for the body of water.[40] Historically, "Arabian Gulf" has been a term used to indicate the Red Sea.[1][41][42][43][44] At the same time, the historical veracity of the usage of "Persian Gulf" can be established from the works of many medieval historians.[1][45][46][47][48] Most Arabs refer to the waterway as simply "al-Khaleej" or "the Gulf".

At the Twenty-third session of the United Nations in March-April 2006, the name "Persian Gulf" was confirmed again as the legitimate and official term to be used by members of the United Nations.[49]
portland
Dubai Expat Helper

melika969 wrote:TJ, I need to correct you there, Iran's name has always been Iran since 1000 B.C. It has been taken from Aryan names, which moved to Iran in that time.

Name of entites is the only thing that keep and show their own heritage, so if you don't care to rename UK to UAE, I don't care. We won't let Arabs to steal our history.

Sorry Melika but I don’t agree!!

Let’s leave the heritage and history issues aside, and talk present day realities!!

As you know, the Gulf does not totally belong to Iran!! The Gulf legally belongs, in part, to all the countries that have shorelines on it. Each country’s territorial waters (for up to 12 nautical miles) is considered part of the sovereign territory of that country. The rest is international waters!!

So don’t you think that the name of the Gulf should be agreed upon jointly by Iran, Iraq and the Gulf States because they all own it!!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

XPT wrote:I did not think Iran (by and thru Ajmadeaiwhatever) had any toes left to shoot at...

No no, let me correct that: Its...Ahh Amm...Ama Dinner Jacket... :D
RobbyG

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk