Inconsistent Prosecution Of Death Of Children...

Topic locked
Inconsistent prosecution of death of children... May 07, 2009
Here is a recent article that tells of a 9 month pregnant Lebanese woman in Dubai who was speeding and following another vehicle too closely and had a bad accident that severed the baby's umbilical cord resulting in death. She is charged for the death and must pay 20,000 AED blood money.

http://www.7days.ae/storydetails.php?id ... orn%20baby

My question is, what about all the parents who had accidents with children unrestrained by proper car seats and seat belts and it resulted in their deaths? Correct me if I'm wrong, but they haven't been charged with the death of their older children and asked to pay blood money.

kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Inconsistent prosecution of death of children... May 07, 2009
kanelli wrote:Here is a recent article that tells of a 9 month pregnant Lebanese woman in Dubai who was speeding and following another vehicle too closely and had a bad accident that severed the baby's umbilical cord resulting in death. She is charged for the death and must pay 20,000 AED blood money.

My question is, what about all the parents who had accidents with children unrestrained by proper car seats and seat belts and it resulted in their deaths? Correct me if I'm wrong, but they haven't been charged with the death of their older children and asked to pay blood money.

inconsistent laws with no logic applied that makes it very dangerous for ordinary residents. really - this is a scary place. a place where a local can run down a pedestrian (hummer case) and practically get away with a menial sentence. While a case where you have quoted is overdone!!!
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

May 07, 2009
It is bad enough that she has lost her child. Yes, she should be punished for causing the accident because others were hurt too and cars damaged. However, why she gets charged with the baby's death while everyone else whose kids were thrown from the cars and killed because they weren't in car seats or using seat belts all get off with no charges is a complete mystery to me. Either everyone gets charged for negligence if their children die in accidents caused by the parents or if the kids were not properly restrained in the car, or no one gets charged - that's only fair.

As a side note, the authorities were saying that pregnant women in their last trimester shouldn't be driving unless it is an emergency. Give me a break! So many women have to work up to the birth and after the birth they get 45 days of maternity leave! So, give women good maternity leave before and after the birth and maybe they won't have to be driving to and from work every day. Still, women have every right to go out to do the shopping and picking up and dropping off their other kids at school. So, basically, unrealistic and a rather stupid comment for authorities to make.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 07, 2009
oh god not again with the locals ….. I'm tired.

back to kanelli, yes they should be more streaked rules regarding the seat belt, ppl are really careless with it and will never learn . but if you don't have any consideration for your self then do it for your kids for god sack most of death causes are bcz of the head banging the steering wheels or the passengers flying out of the car
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

May 08, 2009
Who does she pay the blood money to...herself ?
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 08, 2009
uaekid wrote:oh god not again with the locals ….. I'm tired.

back to kanelli, yes they should be more streaked rules regarding the seat belt, ppl are really careless with it and will never learn . but if you don't have any consideration for your self then do it for your kids for god sack most of death causes are bcz of the head banging the steering wheels or the passengers flying out of the car

Again, ueakid, since you don't seem to understand. This is DUBAI POLITICS TALK forum and this is a thread discussing some Dubai laws being inconsistently applied to children's deaths. Sorry, should I be posting about laws in Canada or elsewhere in the world?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 08, 2009
uaekid wrote:oh god not again with the locals ….. I'm tired.

If I were you, I would be chronically exhausted from the bullshit that enters your mind and passes your synapses.

Talk sense man or keep the shutter for once.
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Inconsistent prosecution of death of children... May 09, 2009
kanelli wrote:Here is a recent article that tells of a 9 month pregnant Lebanese woman in Dubai who was speeding and following another vehicle too closely and had a bad accident that severed the baby's umbilical cord resulting in death. She is charged for the death and must pay 20,000 AED blood money.

kanelli if it makes u happy, its really sad to hear about the woman and her kid. but the fact is why was she driving too close to someone else? correct me if I am wrong but isnt driving too close to someone else classed as wreckless driving?

I am not sure what the police is supposed to do here. are they supposed to pat her on her back for driving too close which resulted in a dangerous accident? or maybe they should make an example out of her and show everyone that whether you are pregnant or not you can not drive dangerously in dubai.

I am sure that the woman has learnt a valuable lesson here.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 09, 2009
I agree with rudeboy, but police needs to have strict laws regarding any kids being killed or injured due to parents saving few 100 dirhams.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

May 09, 2009
Well the story is sad and depressing...
Well the Law is there and there's nothing much we can do about it.
As they say Law is absolute " for ordinary people".

but then again, have you ever think that punishing her or putting her on jail and charging her, plus asking here to pay 20k. would make all things right? will it only worsens the mothers trauma and sorrow. Plus the 20k blood money? where will it go? to the father or same as the mother? OR just goes to .......
portland
Dubai Expat Helper

May 09, 2009
portland wrote:Well the story is sad and depressing...
Well the Law is there and there's nothing much we can do about it.
As they say Law is absolute " for ordinary people".

but then again, have you ever think that punishing her or putting her on jail and charging her, plus asking here to pay 20k. would make all things right? will it only worsens the mothers trauma and sorrow. Plus the 20k blood money? where will it go? to the father or same as the mother? OR just goes to .......

ok in the report by 7days there is no mention of 20k. they do mention 2000 which is the fine money. so does anyone have a newspaper report where the mum has to pay 20k for blood money?

honestly speaking if i was a mum and i was responsible for killing a unborn kid, I wouldnt like to be in jail for a murder of my own kid. so would you like to be charged or be put in a jail? i guess the humane thing would be to do is to fine her. she has already gone through alot of trauma and sorrow so why put her in jail?

I really dont know whether there is a 20K blood money or not so I cant comment on who it goes to or what is done with it. usually the blood member of the victim gets the money.

"Judge Ahmad Hassan found her guilty at Dubai Traffic Court yesterday and fined her dhs2,000, although her sentence was suspended"

so if her sentece was suspended i guess that means she doesnt have to pay blood money. right?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 09, 2009
ops sorry abt that yup its 2000 dirhmans. anyway 2k or 20k blood money and or charging here is not really gona help. yup it was suspended so there is possibility that she will be still charge for it. question is when and where?

lets see it this way, she got onto an accident because of her fault.
then she was rushed into the hospital for treatment. Then while on the hospital police came in telling here your charge for killing your own baby and you will be fine for bloodmoney...woman depressed and traumatized... judge realizes woman not yet well, suspends sentence...after woman gets well bam and slam here for her charges...then in the end woman still suffers and traumatized...

with this summary the logic is the womans sufferings will be doubled, while on the other hand others are getting away with it...
portland
Dubai Expat Helper

May 09, 2009
portland wrote:ops sorry abt that yup its 2000 dirhmans. anyway 2k or 20k blood money and or charging here is not really gona help. yup it was suspended so there is possibility that she will be still charge for it. question is when and where?

lets see it this way, she got onto an accident because of her fault.
then she was rushed into the hospital for treatment. Then while on the hospital police came in telling here your charge for killing your own baby and you will be fine for bloodmoney...woman depressed and traumatized... judge realizes woman not yet well, suspends sentence...after woman gets well bam and slam here for her charges...then in the end woman still suffers and traumatized...

with this summary the logic is the womans sufferings will be doubled, while on the other hand others are getting away with it...

portland there is no mention of blood money in that 7 days report whats so ever. she was FINED 2000dhs. this is for causing an accident and wreckless driving. so if you were involved in a accident where 2 or 3 cars were involved you would have to pay that amount.

I cant find anywhere where it says blood money. only kanelli says its blood money and I am hoping she can explain how she got the figure 20,000dhs and its for blood money.

"Judge Ahmad Hassan found her guilty at Dubai Traffic Court yesterday and fined her dhs2,000, although her sentence was suspended"

this is not for blood money because

A police officer said in a statement: “Her neglect at not leaving enough space between the vehicles caused the accident.

“The second car, driven by a Pakistani man, veered left and hit another vehicle. “The woman hit another car as well, and she was injured.”

so in total she was responsible for causing damage to three cars.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 09, 2009
yup didnt i say that she got onto accident because of her fault.
portland
Dubai Expat Helper

May 09, 2009
portland wrote:yup didnt i say that she got onto accident because of her fault.

yup you did :) but u also said that why must she pay 2000dhs for blood money or a fine.

she must pay the fine because thats the law. regardless of your age, colour, sex, pregant or not you must pay the fine if you caused the accident.

if she wasnt pregnant and she caused the accident she would still have to pay 2000dhs.

being pregnant means that you can become micheal schumacher? :D and you will not be fined :D if that was the case I guess everyone in dubai would luv to become pregnant :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 09, 2009
But there are others who have caused accidents or been victims of accidents, and because they did not have their children restrained by seat belts or car seats, the children were thrown from the vehicle or banged around inside the vehicle and died. So why aren't those parents charged for negligence causing death?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 09, 2009
kanelli wrote:But there are others who have caused accidents or been victims of accidents, and because they did not have their children restrained by seat belts or car seats, the children were thrown from the vehicle or banged around inside the vehicle and died. So why aren't those parents charged for negligence causing death?

lets stick to this topic first and then we will move to another one ;).

can u post the report where it says the mother has to pay 20,000dhs?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 09, 2009
I started the topic and can say for certain that I am still on topic. Maybe it is you who needs to read the initial post again?

Can't find the article, was it posted in The National? Not very good or no archive access for many online newspaper versions...
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 09, 2009
kanelli wrote:I started the topic and can say for certain that I am still on topic. Maybe it is you who needs to read the initial post again?

Can't find the article, was it posted in The National? Not very good or no archive access for many online newspaper versions...

I am discussing about the article you pasted out of the 7days
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Inconsistent prosecution of death of children... May 09, 2009
kanelli wrote:My question is, what about all the parents who had accidents with children unrestrained by proper car seats and seat belts and it resulted in their deaths? Correct me if I'm wrong, but they haven't been charged with the death of their older children and asked to pay blood money.

please post articles about parents who got away with this.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 09, 2009
here you go kanelli http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8032780.stm

the bbc has reported that the mother has been asked to pay 20,000dhs.

but in the 7days its mentioned that "Judge Ahmad Hassan found her guilty at Dubai Traffic Court yesterday and fined her dhs2,000, although her sentence was suspended".

now bbc doesnt mention anything about her sentence being suspended. it does mention she has to pay 20,000dhs but then again 7days doesnt mention anything about the blood money.

and correct me if i am wrong but if her sentence was suspended does this means she doesnt have to go to jail?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 09, 2009
rudeboy wrote:

yup you did :) but u also said that why must she pay 2000dhs for blood money or a fine.

she must pay the fine because thats the law. regardless of your age, colour, love, pregant or not you must pay the fine if you caused the accident.

if she wasnt pregnant and she caused the accident she would still have to pay 2000dhs.

being pregnant means that you can become micheal schumacher? :D and you will not be fined :D if that was the case I guess everyone in dubai would luv to become pregnant :D

okey guys correct me if im wrong...the woman comitted the accident to her and to the baby right...the police charge her for the crime and ask for the fine of 2000 dhs, okey no problem with that its the law...3rd they ask her to pay the 20000 blood money from bbc news as it states...

im just puzzled isnt it that a blood money is paid to the victim or a family of a victim as a compensation or a payment for something evil done to his family? then why the heck are they asking her to be paid blood money for whom? for her? or her husband? its like they are rewarding the mother for accidentally killing is unborn baby...
portland
Dubai Expat Helper

May 09, 2009
portland wrote:
rudeboy wrote:

she must pay the fine because thats the law. regardless of your age, colour, love, pregant or not you must pay the fine if you caused the accident.

okey guys correct me if im wrong...the woman comitted the accident to her and to the baby right...the police charge her for the crime and ask for the fine of 2000 dhs, okey no problem with that its the law...3rd they ask her to pay the 20000 blood money from bbc news as it states...

im just puzzled isnt it that a blood money is paid to the victim or a family of a victim as a compensation or a payment for something evil done to his family? then why the heck are they asking her to be paid blood money for whom? for her? or her husband? its like they are rewarding the mother for accidentally killing is unborn baby...

thats what i am saying too it doesnt make sense. why would the court sentence her to pay the blood money when techniqually the money would be going to her own house. 7days doesnt mention anything about blood money but bbc news does. 7days does say her sentence was cancelled but there is no mention of that in bbc news or other newspapers.

something doesnt add up here. and if she is paying to herself why would she be upset then :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 10, 2009
You guys are pretty fixated on the blood money issue. If she indeed has to pay it, maybe it is to be set aside in a fund for any future children she has? Yes, it is silly because the money doesn't go out of the family, would just be set aside for another family member.

rudeboy, just check all the news stories about children thrown from cars in UAE road accidents over the last few years. I haven't heard about any parents being charged for their deaths like this woman was. Why don't you find me some articles where parents have been charged for not restraining their kids with seat belts and car seats. You can look up info just as I can if you would like to try to prove me wrong.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 10, 2009
Hummm …. Well I guess the problem is when you refer to all authorities as a THEY ! I mean the problem in this case is that there are 2 authorities involve here, the traffic police and the court system. They both are diff organizations with diff perspectives ! police traffic goes only by written laws on the other hand the court system or the judge in this case determines or looks at the case from diff and many angels , they judge cases that has an up normal situation and like the one you are discussing now.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

May 10, 2009
uaekid wrote:Hummm …. Well I guess the problem is when you refer to all authorities as a THEY ! I mean the problem in this case is that there are 2 authorities involve here, the traffic police and the court system. They both are diff organizations with diff perspectives ! police traffic goes only by written laws on the other hand the court system or the judge in this case determines or looks at the case from diff and many angels , they judge cases that has an up normal situation and like the one you are discussing now.

couldnt have said it better.

this mother was responsible for the death of her unborn kid because he was in her stomache. had she driven responsibily she wouldnt be in this situation now. instead she make micheal schumacher, caused havoc which resulted in her kids death. Doctors and police officers evidence were taken into account when she was sentenced. policemen found she was driving dangerously. she was danger to herself and others around her. the doctors noticed that the umberical cord was broken because of the accident. just ask yourself this. if she was driving normally and she was hit by another car and her umberical cord broke. would she be responsible for the death of her unborn kid? i dont think so.

as for the other kids not wearing seat belts. yes it is the parents duty to make sure that kids wear the seat belt etc etc. But there is no SHARIA law which says that kids must wear seat belts and what will happen if the kids die because they were not wearing seat belts. Although if the court looks at different evidence and take into doctors and police account that because the parent were driving wrecklessly. therefore they were responsible for the death of their kid. But HONESTLY speaking does ANY parent drive wrecklessly with their kid in the car? you will find in most reports that a parent with a kid were hit by another wreckless driver.

there is a sharia law about killing of unborn kids or abortion. there is no sharia law about wearing seat belts.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 11, 2009
Darling, babies are in the uterus, not the stomach.

:lol:

Most definitely some parents drive recklessly with children in the car. Look at how many parents speed to get their kids to school on time, and I have been in the car with a friend who drove 120 on Sheikh Zayed while sms-ing her sister back in Lebanon. I thought we were going to die, and her toddler was sitting in the back!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 12, 2009
kanelli wrote:Darling, babies are in the uterus, not the stomach.

:lol:

Most definitely some parents drive recklessly with children in the car. Look at how many parents speed to get their kids to school on time, and I have been in the car with a friend who drove 120 on Sheikh Zayed while sms-ing her sister back in Lebanon. I thought we were going to die, and her toddler was sitting in the back!

uterus stomache sort of the same thing :D

like i said there is no sharia law about driving wrecklessly and smsing at the same time with the kid in the back seat. there is no sharia law about not wearing a seat belt and how a parent should be punished if their kid wasnt wearing a seat belt.

in the old times when islam was established i dont think there were seat belts :D but there were loads of children being killed for no reason. to stop them a sharia law was established.

wearing seat belts is the law of the country. i mean still in some parts of the EU its not compulsary to wear seat belts. and you will find that in some cases ppl have died even with seat belts on.

when death is coming to you, your seat belt wont stop it :)
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 13, 2009
There should be laws, and that is my point. Otherwise, it is unfair for the woman to be charged with killing her unborn child in this case.

I don't think that anyone is naive enough to think that seat belts protect people from death in an accident 100% of the time. However, research supports the view that child car seats and booster seats and use of seat belts reduces people's chance of dying because they won't be thrown from the vehicle. If you get crushed inside the vehicle then there is no hope even with a seat belt, but if there is no crush impact in areas of the car, you'd be protected by staying put thanks to a seat belt! How lucky is the person who gets thrown from the vehicle through the hard glass windshield at high speed and lands hard on the ground or thrown against another object and survives but suffers permanent disability and brain damage?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 13, 2009
kanelli wrote:There should be laws, and that is my point. Otherwise, it is unfair for the woman to be charged with killing her unborn child in this case.

I don't think that anyone is naive enough to think that seat belts protect people from death in an accident 100% of the time. However, research supports the view that child car seats and booster seats and use of seat belts reduces people's chance of dying because they won't be thrown from the vehicle. If you get crushed inside the vehicle then there is no hope even with a seat belt, but if there is no crush impact in areas of the car, you'd be protected by staying put thanks to a seat belt! How lucky is the person who gets thrown from the vehicle through the hard glass windshield at high speed and lands hard on the ground or thrown against another object and survives but suffers permanent disability and brain damage?

there will be a law in the future am sure. UAE is developing so its going to take some time before there is some law about seat belts.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk