Elton John Banned From Egypt Cuz He's Gay

Topic locked
Elton John banned from Egypt cuz he's gay May 12, 2010
Popular British musician Elton John has been banned from performing a private concert in Egypt, DPA reported on Monday.

According to the report, the 63-year-old openly homosexual performer was prohibited from playing in the Arab country because of anti-religious sentiments that he had purportedly expressed.

The news agency quoted Mounir al-Wasimi, the head of Egypt’s Musician Union, as saying that his country could not allow “a homosexual who wants to ban religions, claimed that the prophet Issa (Jesus) was gay and calls for Middle Eastern countries to allow gays to have sexual freedom” to perform there.

John drew controversy earlier this year when he intimated in an interview with the American Parade magazine that there was no tolerance for homosexuals in Arab countries. "I don't know what makes people so cruel. Try being a gay woman in the Middle East - you're as good as dead," he told the magazine.

Also in the February interview, the performer stated that Jesus had been a “super-intelligent gay man,” a conclusion he reached after reading about the Christian savior’s compassionate and understanding nature

http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?id=174573

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Elton John Banned From Egypt Cuz He's Gay May 12, 2010
Jeez talk about confirmation bais. Jesus was gay ?? means God was gay and so was the holy trinity or should I say is Gay ? And then the pope whould be gay shouldn't he ? what next. Man was intented to gay but somewhere along the line fell into sin and started screwing women instead ?

Seriously !
desertdudeshj

Re: Elton John banned from Egypt cuz he's gay May 13, 2010
Keep at it.

One of these, an English speaker will be able to understand your posts.

But, (I think) I agree with you.

It is unfortunate that there are religious wackos in Egypt who have this much power to discriminate against people like this.

Surprisingly, Elton John is/was able to perform in Morocco - despite the calls against his performance by religious bigots.
event horizon

Re: Elton John Banned From Egypt Cuz He's Gay May 13, 2010
Wow, a country decides to ban a man called Reginald Dwight because he has 'anti-religious' views and whose way of life is seen as backward (in the Soddom and Gomorrah sense) by the country.

I mean, I couldn't imagine that the UK would keep out Louis Farakhan for his religious views (I actually would agree if they did refuse him entry) or if the USA kept out a singer called Cat Stevens because he now decides to call himself Yusuf Islam and have the audacity to campaign for peace (I wouldn't support the US if they kept him out). ;)

That said, eh would you welcome Elton at your Bible Camp in the US given that he has said Jesus was Gay? Do you think he'll be touring the Southern States of your country any time soon? If so, will anyone demonstrate against him there (or threaten him with violence?)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Too many words in different directions, Shafique! I just wonder whether you personally agree with that ban.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Sorry to confuse you RC.

No, I wouldn't ban Elton - I quite like his music, I've even bought his CDs!

He's really just a 'drama queen' - but has vocal views about gay rights. I think he's entitled to speak his mind.

My 'words' were just to point out that the UK and US also ban people from entering their countries based on what these people say in public. Elton calling Jesus a gay man is offensive to many Christians and Muslims - so it is this anti-religious stance that I would suggest is behind his band in Egypt. I suspect he would similarly be objected to in Southern USA (eh can enlighten us more here- I suspect he may also be from the Bible belt, but for now we only know he is from the States).

But no, I wouldn't ban Elton from performing at a private party.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote: I suspect he would similarly be objected to in Southern USA (eh can enlighten us more here- I suspect he may also be from the Bible belt, but for now we only know he is from the States).

I strongly doubt that.

Toyota Center is proud to welcome Elton John and Billy Joel, the most successful and longest-running concert pairing in pop history, when they reunite for their Face 2 Face tour on March 19 in Houston! Elton and Billy open the concert with a series of duets, playing twin pianos and trading vocals. Each artist then performs a set with his own band. A grand finale brings the two superstars and their supporting musicians back together for a closing encore. This includes some of both Elton and Billy’s greatest hits along with an unpredictable selection of rock and roll classics. Don’t miss these two superstars when they come to Toyota Center in March!

Group sales are not available for this event.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Well, I guess I should have done a Google! ;)

Good to see that the old boy is still performing.

I was right about protests though - here's one nutter who was arrested.

Man Arrested for Making Death Threat Against Elton John
Posted on Mar 15th 2010 12:30PM by John D. Luerssen

Can you feel the hate tonight?

A man was arrested last Wednesday for making terrorist threats against Elton John, insisting that the flamboyant rocker "must die."

Neal Horsley -- an apparent candidate for the 2010 Georgia Governor's race under his own Creator's Rights Party -- caused serious concern among Sir Elton's handlers after a video surfaced on You Tube of the 65-year-old anti-abortionist holding up a large sign with that slogan outside of the performer's Atlanta apartment building.

"What Elton John has done is desecrated the image of the Lord Jesus Christ, blasphemed the Lord Jesus Christ," Horsley said in the clip. Horsley also suggested that if Elton were Muslim and made similar remarks, he would have had a fatwa, or death sentence, placed upon him.

According to the Associated Press, Horsley was responding to a recent Parade magazine article where John said he believed Jesus was a "compassionate, super-intelligent gay man who understood human problems."

Horsley was arrested in Carrollton, about 50 miles outside of Atlanta on March 10 and was held on $40,000 bail in the Fulton County Jail. He has also been charged with criminal defamation and use of the internet to make threats.
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Play fair. The article is about official ban, not about protests or fanatics. :wink:
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Fair point - as I said, I would have gone with no ban.

Some Christians want to kill Elton, some Muslims ban him from their country. Both object to his words - bad as each other, if you ask me (well, the Christian nutter is a bit more scary!)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

So Horsley reads "Parade Magazine"?? Now that's entertainment. Probably has a subscription to the Enquirer as well. :)
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Why have they banned ,i can`t beleave that because the whole of the middle east is GAY..... :D :D
chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

Red Chief wrote:Too many words in different directions, Shafique! I just wonder whether you personally agree with that ban.

It's your tried and true tactic of changing the subject.

It's a bit of a wonder how someone could compare banning Elton John from performing in a country because he is a homosexual to the temporary prohibition of Yusuf Islam (a man who agreed with the fatwa against the life of a popular author) due to a security mix-up, in which Yusuf Islam was subsequently allowed back into the country and appeared on the Larry King show.

No less, the old canard of claiming the 'South' (or certain parts of the United States) is as backwards and reactionary as most (if not all) Muslim countries are was even pulled.

Some people really are just desperate.
event horizon

The lady doth protest too much.

Interesting how the original Jerusalem Post article's title is:

"Elton John banned from Egypt"

and the second paragraph gives the reason for the ban:

"because of anti-religious sentiments that he had purportedly expressed."

But our young American friend decided to add 'cuz he is gay'. Speaks volumes on so many levels. ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

That was one of the reasons given for the ban in other articles I had read - due to his popularity, he could spread 'corruption' in Egyptian society.

Egypt's musician's union on Sunday rejected plans for British singer Elton John to perform a private concert scheduled for May 18, because of his "controversial remarks attacking religions".

"How do we allow a gay, who wants to ban religions, claimed that the prophet Eissa (Jesus) was gay and calls for Middle Eastern countries to allow gays to have sexual freedom," head of the Egyptian Musician Union, Mounir al-Wasimi told DPA.

The pop superstar, 63, stirred controversy after his remarks to US celebrity news magazine Parade in February, where he said "Try being a gay woman in the Middle East - you're as good as dead", after saying he believed Jesus was "gay".

Al-Wasimi said that he has begun coordinating with security bodies to ban John's concert, saying that the union is the only body "authorised to allow performances by foreign singers in Egypt".

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Elton-Joh ... 38482.aspx

and

He Weseimy that "a concert in Cairo to Elton John a dangerous precedent, not because it is one of the singers in the world and a visit to Cairo for the first time, but it is a symbol for homosexuals in the world and his presence will open the doors to the rest of the artists, homosexuals for their performances in Egypt."

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... .com&twu=1

For a ban that was supposedly not influenced by Elton John's homosexuality and was purely for his opinion on Jesus, the Egyptians have a funny way of saying that.
event horizon

Re: Elton John banned from Egypt cuz he's gay May 14, 2010
Whatever happened to "Free Speech'?

So some ageing tubby gay singer decides he has some views on religious figures. So what? I hardly think Reg Dwight is really any threat to any particular religion, so people should just take a reality pill and let him sing his little songs and ignore the rest.

I did quite like Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Elton John Banned From Egypt Cuz He's Gay May 14, 2010
I agree - leave old Dwighty alone!

I'm partial to Pinball Wizard myself, and Don't let the sun go down on me..and of course Rocket man:

It's going to be a long, long time..:)
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Today is friday, but Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

It's a sad, sad situation
And it's getting more and more absurd
It's sad, so sad
Why can't we talk it over???

:mrgreen:
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Elton John banned from Egypt cuz he's gay May 15, 2010
Apparently his gift is his song and this one's for you...

The moss kicker!

:D :D :D

Knight
Dubai Knight

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk