Bribe To Stop Building!

Topic locked
Re: Bribe to stop building! Nov 26, 2010
^Control (i.e. occupation) is legal after winning a war, constructing colonies and depriving the occupied the use of their land is illegal. Over 60% of the West Bank is currently under direct control of the Israelis and the rest is under general occupational control.

Thanks for the opportunity to clarify.

As UN Resolution 242 made clear (adopted unamiously in Nov 1967 and is reaffirmed each year) - it is illegal to aquire land by force - it made clear the legal position:

"inadmissibility of the acquisition of territory by war ".

But the point I made in the previous post about Israel not making any concessions according to the Law or UN resolutions is just a statement of fact.

The crimes levelled at Israel are violations of its obligations as an occupying power. One war crime it committed was when it razed the homes of the Arab Palestinians in Jerusalem in the Maghreb quarter - to make a plaza in front of the Western Wall - that is a clear violation of the Geneva Conventions on how to treat people in territory you've occupied. It was one of the first crimes in the growing list.

But, I haven't checked today, has Israel agreed to take the $3billion bribe?

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Yes, Israels control over the disputed areas is legal. Also according to
international law and un resolutions there is not one legal sovereign over the areas, not israel, and not any arab country. According to 242 the final status of the areas has to be the result of a peace deal. Until then its no ones land, legally.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Bribe To Stop Building! Nov 26, 2010
LOL - a nice way of looking at the illegality of the colonies whose whole intention is exactly 'to aquire land'.

But that's by-the-by - let's focus on the bribe to stop building more of these colonies.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Its a debunk of this agitprop:

shafique wrote:we have recourse to International Law and the UN to resolve who legally has a right to control the land that was captured in 1967 by Israel.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

I've already said I'm glad you gave the opportunity to clarify what exactly International Law says on the subject and the fact that it is Israel's building of the colonies that is deemed illegal (as it is aquiring land).

But, as my dad always said - always be grateful. So, I thank you again.

(You do realise that my quote is not wrong - International law is quite clear on what is allowed and not allowed.)

So, can we NOW move to the subject of the US bribe to Israel for it to stop the illegal construction of colonies?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:You do realise that my quote is not wrong

Its not wrong at all, international law is very clear that Israels control over the disputed areas is completely legal.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Great - so what I wrote is correct.

I presume therefore that the other bits are beyond dispute as well - that the colonies are illegal under international law as is the displacement of the occupied people and the destruction of their homes.

The annexation of land captured (such as Golan and East Jerusalem - after re-naming bits of the West Bank) is similarly against International Law.

But you are right, the law does say that Israel is not breaking the law by Occupying territory won in 1967, but only is breaking the law when it tries to steal this land (either renaming it, annexing it or building colonies on it).

I'm glad we've cleared this up.

So - no need to repeat these facts in this thread then?

Can we NOW address the Bribe to Israel for them to partially stop the illegal buildings?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Bribe to stop building! Dec 09, 2010
Well, after all that - the Israelis refused to take the bribe - $3billion was not enough to persuade them to stop building on occupied land for 90 days!

The US authorities are trying to save some face by now just saying that they won't condone the buildings of further colonies on land that isn't part of Israel:

U.S. does not, will not condone Israel's settlement activity, official says

Speaking to reporters, State Department spokesman says Washington's position on settlement building is unaffected by its realization that a temporary freeze does not serve as a sufficient basis for renewed peace talks.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-d ... s-1.329575

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk