Bees Are The New Terrorists!

Topic locked
Bees are the new terrorists! Jun 29, 2012
Bees Are the New Terrorists: We Must Launch a War on Bees
by Hamilton Nolan, Gawker

Though our grandparents are often referred to as “The Greatest Generation,” we, too, will make our mark in history as the generation that endured merciless war without end. First, the War on Drugs; then, the War on Terror; and now—everyone, please load your weapons—the War on Bees.

On the fair shores of England—our constant boon companion, and the “canary in the coal mine” of things that will soon be killing us all—it appears that bees, as well as their wasp and hornet allies, are the new threat for which all must grimly prepare. A new UK government report paints a terrifying picture:

Discussing the suggestions that the threat from terrorism is over-estimated, Mr Anderson wrote: “During the 21st century, terrorism has been an insignificant cause of mortality in the United Kingdom. The annualised average of five deaths caused by terrorism in England and Wales over this period compares with total accidental deaths in 2010 of 17,201, including 123 cyclists killed in traffic accidents, 102 personnel killed in Afghanistan, 29 people drowned in the bathtub and five killed by stings from hornets, wasps and bees.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... chdog.html

I see little choice but to build a tangled and impenetrable multibillion-dollar bureaucracy dedicated to Bee Defense, and to launch a pre-emptive war on…. whichever country is harboring all the bees.

http://gawker.com/5921985/bees-are-the- ... ar-on-bees

Satire at it's finest I think. ;)

The story linked to above is a bit more serious -

Bee stings kill as many people in Britain as terrorist attacks do, according to a report by a Government watchdog who claims the risk from extremists has fallen “markedly” in recent years.

(David Anderson QC, the independent reviewer of terror laws)

David Anderson said that no one has even been injured by an Islamist in this country for more than two years, while the number of convictions has dropped to a “handful”.

As a result he suggested that ministers could relax some anti-terror laws without endangering public safety, such as by allowing terror suspects to apply for bail or making it harder to ban certain groups.

The independent watchdog seems to be reading the same statistics that I've been posting, and reaching the same conclusions. Facts vs hype.

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk