Baha'i Houses Demolished In Iran

Topic locked
Baha'i houses demolished in Iran Jul 01, 2010
What will the UN say? (WWTUNS)

Some 50 houses owned by members of Iran's Baha'i religious minority have been demolished in a village northeast of Tehran, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty's Radio Farda reported.

The incident took place last weekend in Ivel, in Mazandaran Province.

Radio Farda spoke to Baha'i Natoly Derakhshan, who witnessed the destruction of the homes. He told the station that the houses were first set on fire and later demolished by four bulldozers.

"We informed the governor's office that they were destroying our houses, but they did nothing to prevent it," Derakhshan said.

The incident is not the first time that homes of Baha'is have been demolished in Iran. Baha'i cemeteries have also been razed, most recently in a May 29 incident in the northeastern city of Mashhad.

The Baha'i faith began in Iran in the 19th century, and currently has an estimated 5 million followers worldwide.

While Baha'is regard their faith as within the tradition of Abraham, Moses, Buddha, Jesus, and Muhammad, Iran's Shi'ite government regards Baha'ism as Islamic heresy.

There are some 300,000 followers of the Baha'i faith living in Iran, a community that human rights groups say has faced serious repression under the Islamic republic.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php? ... 2010-06-30

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Baha'i houses demolished in Iran Jul 23, 2010
Hey I missed this post, I have been around the area when this happened, it is very beuatiful province in Iran!

They have destoyed their houses years ago in this area, but recently they have done it again! sad it is!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

This was covered on BBC News earlier this month - and this kind of religious intolerance is to be condemned.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10494631

Eh asks what the UN's reaction will be. Again his research seems to have let him down. The UN have a Baha'i representative in Geneva and each year the UN passes a resolution condemning the treatment of the community in Iran. The last one was December 2009:
http://news.bahai.org/story/743

The Iranian authorities have always maintained (from outset) that the Bahais (and Babists who preceded them) were rebels who were siding with outside powers and were treated as traitors from outset. Bab and his followers took up arms against the Iranian govt and he was caught and executed for his crimes. Bahaullah was a disciple of Bab - and Bahai's are viewed in Iran as heretical rebels.

But to persecute a minority for their beliefs is not acceptable.

There are some moves from Iranian clergy to rectify the human rights abuses:
But there has been pressure on Iran to improve the plight of its Bahai community.

Some senior Shia clergymen - although uncompromising when it comes to theology - say Bahais must be given basic rights and treated like citizens.

Bahais, whose headquarters are in Haifa, are seen as heretics by some in Iran "They are members of mankind," says Mohsen Kadivar, an Islamic scholar at Duke University in North Carolina.

"As such they should be treated humanely and in accordance with the rights of citizens and basic human rights."

Before his death last year, Iran's Grand Ayatollah Hussein Ali Montazeri, the most senior authority on Shia Islam, issued a fatwa in favour of Bahais.

He called on the Iranian government to grant followers of the religion basic civil and political rights.

There has also been diplomatic pressure on Iran.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Baha'i Houses Demolished In Iran Jul 23, 2010
and u probably know that Mohsen Kadivar can not go back to Iran, because of conflicts with current regime,
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

That's a relief. I'm sure Iran, N. Korea and other thug nations will think twice before they do something like this again.

The UN might get someone to issue a soft 'condemnation' for their actions.

But more seriously, where are the loon leftists and loon Muslims to protest this ?

Is it their day off from participating in unruly mobs ?
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

That's a relief. I'm sure Iran, N. Korea and other thug nations will think twice before they do something like this again.
The UN might get someone to issue a soft 'condemnation' for their actions.
But more seriously, where are the loon leftists and loon Muslims to protest this ?
Is it their day off from participating in unruly mobs ?

Well looks like iran's operations on Bahais are no different than USA's operations on any muslim they suspect..
http://freefahad.com/

There are hundereds of muslims tortured or probably killed in covert detention camps or jails of USA/Nato all around the world! Do you hear anything about them reach to the headlines of national media?

In this case shall we say that Americans or whichever western rulers they are just as much mobs serving their own thug nations..
The only difference is that unlike the iranians, they like to leave smart, democratic image as politicians back at home on the mind of their citizens to continue receive their full support, while of course taking the sh1t out of everyone else around the world.
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

hehe, so typical!
you again lost the topic!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk