The Software Industry In Dubai?

Topic locked
the Software Industry in Dubai? Jan 13, 2009
Hi, I am new to this forum. Does anybody here happen to know something about the software industry in Dubai? Does persons here use craked programs a lot? We are planning to set up an office to promote our software. Thank you in advance

cad_haochen
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 14, 2009
there is no software industry in Dubai ?
I have no idea ?? I'm a 3D artist and well it takes far longer then it should to purchase an recieve full version software here for the project I'm working on...

I have not used cracked software in many MANY years ( it's too cheap Not to just buy it ) and but it seem no one takes software or they Skills seriously here ??
pete t
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2009
@pete
@ cad

Hello Guys,

There is software industry in dubai. But not mature like in the US or India.
Companies do develop softwares here, but mostly they target the local clients. They are not so widespread alike markets in other countries.

Most of the IT companies here are resellers of products developed abroad.

Although Dubai's Media City & Internet City is quiet well known to be the IT & Tech hub in the middle east, most of the Companies out there are resellers.

Everything is very virtual here. Yes people do use pirated/crack softwares here. I myself do reverse-engineering for testing purpose. But i prefer open source.. Apparently people are now preferring open-source alternatives & or dual lisenced applications. Most of the companies, to keep their IT Standards upto the score use Strictly Legititmate softwares.

My insight is, there is a lack of marketing here. And as i said, the whole software subset is not mature.

What business are you into? I am working on setting up a new startup. May be we could do a merger.
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Jan 17, 2009
ahamed wrote:@pete
@ cad

Hello Guys,

Companies do develop softwares here, but mostly they target the local clients. They are not so widespread alike markets in other countries.

Although Dubai's Media City & Internet City is quiet well known to be the IT & Tech hub in the middle east, most of the Companies out there are resellers.

Everything is very virtual here. Yes people do use pirated/crack softwares here. I myself do reverse-engineering for testing purpose. But i prefer open source.. Apparently people are now preferring open-source alternatives & or dual lisenced applications. Most of the companies, to keep their IT Standards upto the score use Strictly Legititmate softwares.

My insight is, there is a lack of marketing here. And as i said, the whole software subset is not mature.

What business are you into? I am working on setting up a new startup. May be we could do a merger.

hey ahamed what business are you currently into? we are distributors of various software which are used by gov, healthcare, construction workers and more. let me have your thoughts so i can see whether we are on the same wavelength.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 17, 2009
me and mates are looking into communication, mobility & EDGE/GPRS Network solutions

PM Me, lets see where we can find an opportunity to work togather.
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Jan 19, 2009
rudeboy wrote:
ahamed wrote:@pete
@ cad

Hello Guys,

hey ahamed what business are you currently into? we are distributors of various software which are used by gov, healthcare, construction workers and more. let me have your thoughts so i can see whether we are on the same wavelength.

Thank you for your introduction. We are promoting CAD software. welcome to PM me if you are interested.
cad_haochen
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 19, 2009
CAD? Not really my line of business.

What is your application called, may be i would want it for our company as a replacement for AUTOCAD.. is it price effective or expensive like autocad.
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Jan 28, 2009
There is a small but growing software industry in Dubai. It's pretty immature and there's very little good talent but it's there. As for copyright infringement, it's rampant. You won't see much of it in the larger companies that can afford licenses but for a large percentage of small businesses (the majority of businesses almost anywhere in the world), Windows and open source apps are probably their only properly licensed software.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Re: the Software Industry in Dubai? Jan 29, 2009
cad_haochen wrote: Does persons here use craked programs a lot? We are planning to set up an office to promote our software. Thank you in advance

I think some, but its not widely spread bcoz most of crack/warez sites are blocked here, but other still managed to bypass that.most important is, its illegal and dubai is very strict on that matter... :)
nullpointer
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 05, 2009
Thank you.
cad_haochen
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk