Download Speeds

Topic locked
Download Speeds Jun 14, 2009
I currently use Al Shamil broadband at 256 kbps. Average downloads speeds were about 90-100kbps.
Last week I began to have trouble with my user name and the guys at etisalat advised me to change my password, which I did. Post the change my download speeds have dropped to 30kbps and below. 30kbps is the cap.
So whats the deal? Has Etisalat interfered with my bandwidth? Are these normal speeds, Is this a temporary low? Even videos on youtube don't open smoothly any more?
Is 256 kbps really this bad?
What must I do?
BTW I use a Siemens Router and that FTTH technology.

Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 14, 2009
The Internet works using BURSTY data, meaning data transfers, uploading or downloading can NEVER always be the same.....

One days its fast...one days its not....because this is how the technology works.

When sending and receiving data...your data is cut down to many little pieces and sent of to its destination on DIFFERENT paths! yes....all those small pieces dont use the same route...they go their seperate ways....till they all meet at the destination...and then join togather again the way they originally was...

Anyways, i use 1 MB...that seems to be great....not too much...not too little... 512 really just doesnt do it for me.
guest999

Re: Download Speeds Jun 15, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:I currently use Al Shamil broadband at 256 kbps. Average downloads speeds were about 90-100kbps.
Last week I began to have trouble with my user name and the guys at etisalat advised me to change my password, which I did. Post the change my download speeds have dropped to 30kbps and below. 30kbps is the cap.
So whats the deal? Has Etisalat interfered with my bandwidth? Are these normal speeds, Is this a temporary low? Even videos on youtube don't open smoothly any more?
What must I do?

Woah! Dont know much about FTTH as im not using it but 90-100kbps is 1MB connection speeds!!

I got 512k and my cap is around 64ish and when i had 256k it was around 32ish. So i guess your connection is fine. And yes, youtube videos need a while for buffering on 256k.
redtilldead
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: Download Speeds Jun 16, 2009
redtilldead wrote:
Misery Called Life wrote:I currently use Al Shamil broadband at 256 kbps. Average downloads speeds were about 90-100kbps.
What must I do?

Woah! Dont know much about FTTH as im not using it but 90-100kbps is 1MB connection speeds!!

I got 512k and my cap is around 64ish and when i had 256k it was around 32ish. So i guess your connection is fine. And yes, youtube videos need a while for buffering on 256k.

Thanks for the reply!

I used to share a wireless connection 1mb with with an adjoining flat neighbor. And even then download speeds were not 90-100kbps.

But bout 2-3 months back I took my own 256kbps connection, using the FTTH box and the speeds were insane. Movies would download in like 3-5 hours. Average download speed were like 90-100 kbps.
I used to wonder why people would need really fast connections. An that was the purpose of the FTTH box, to speed things up.
And all of a sudden like last week I had to change my password and kaput speeds have just dropped! Unlike when I was in college I had a back up internet connection. Now it's just this. It's killing me!
I've called up etisalat they said they'd get back to me.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 17, 2009
i am on a 3MB Connection and still not satisfied with the speed. when downloading from high speed servers i get anywhere between 350-370 kbps
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Jun 18, 2009
I think there's some confusion arising from MB/s and Mbps. Makes quite a difference. Proper capitalization is key here, people.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 27, 2009
I think the issue here is the capitalization of the letters. kB & kb. in 256kbps line you will get up& down to toal 256kbps. In kBps it's 32 max. So check which is shown on the system, kbps or kBps
Skele
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 28, 2009
Check what your speed is. Alot of ISP do not deliever what they promise. Mine is not that great today. Hooking up to a wireless signal on this test.

Free speed test here: http://www.speed.io/index_en.html
canuckbid
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk