Build Your Own PC

Topic locked
Build your own PC Oct 23, 2006
Well I kinda miss websites where I could just buy every single part to build a PC myself. My first impression in Dubai is that you just have to buy a branded PC, meaning, deal with crappy parts and pay MORE.

I checked most of the shops in the major malls and been shocked at the low quality of the parts I found, not to mention the high prices of OUTDATED products.

Are there ANY decent shops/websites out there or do I just have to buy all parts in Lebanon and get them with me?

Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Build your own PC Oct 23, 2006
Nick81 wrote:Well I kinda miss websites where I could just buy every single part to build a PC myself. My first impression in Dubai is that you just have to buy a branded PC, meaning, deal with crappy parts and pay MORE.

I checked most of the shops in the major malls and been shocked at the low quality of the parts I found, not to mention the high prices of OUTDATED products.

Are there ANY decent shops/websites out there or do I just have to buy all parts in Lebanon and get them with me?

I hear you! I miss the ability to go online, order parts and away you go.

I have seen some shops at DragonMart that *may* be able to help you, but they're not super impressive in their range.

I was hoping to build a media-pc when I move into my new pad shortly, but I think I may have to settle for a brand name one.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 23, 2006
Hmm I might have to go check what's available at Dragonmart. But I am very picky when it comes to components, I basically go as far as change the stock fans, pick my RAM according to latency, good power supplies etc etc...

Hell just to give you an example I was at Compume the other day and they were selling a graphic card (Nvidia Geforce 6800GT for 1000dhs). Just for fun I started testing the salesman who of course, gave me some crap about this card being top of the line and the newest card by Nvidia. In case you dont' know this card is about 2yrs old and cost less than $150 in Lebanon where PC parts aren't exactly cheap... In comparison I found an ATI X1950XT in Lebanon for $450 (~1600dhs). While it IS pretty damn expensive I dont' want to imagine how much that card would cost in Dubai... BTW, it's $450 including VAT.

I guess I'll just have to buy all parts in Lebanon and get em with me. But I am gonna wait for Xmas...
Nick81

Oct 23, 2006
Nick,

its cheaper in Muscat. If you know what you want, I could get it for you.. I'll be back in Dubai on the 29th.

To give you an example of how cheap.. Buying a Dell Inspiron 6400 in Dubai is about AED 5200 - AED 5700

In Muscat its AED 4300 - AED 4500
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 24, 2006
nosoup4u wrote:Nick,

its cheaper in Muscat. If you know what you want, I could get it for you.. I'll be back in Dubai on the 29th.

To give you an example of how cheap.. Buying a Dell Inspiron 6400 in Dubai is about AED 5200 - AED 5700

In Muscat its AED 4300 - AED 4500

hmm interesting... I am going very soon on a business trip to Muscat...
Nick81

Sup Nov 28, 2006
I dont know if you already received this info, but if you want computer parts its the computer Plaza. Its where i baught my parts ot build my PC.

You can get a good selection (i dont know what your standards are) but not the top of the range hardcore stuff. For a reference here is what I got which was a month ago (This is the highest i could find)

MoBo: Gigabyte p965 DQ6
Proc: Intell EE6600
Ram: 1gb 800
VGA: didnt get a high spec (waiting for DX 10)
Case: triton - Gigabyte
PSU: Force 500W

For Zalman fans and Enermax PSU go to beach center.

Hope it helps
Poker Face
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk