Wage

Topic locked
Mar 08, 2006
AED 3500 per month is not enough to live on, so no, AED1500 per month is not enough. Having said that, AED 1400 is what my maid gets and I provide all food, accom (like a unit) etc-all living expenses plus she works only 5 1/2 days. Guaranteed the jobs you are looking at will make you work a six day week with more than 12 hours a day. Also the accomodation you are talking about is bed share- ie bunk beds-as many as possible in one room. Look at the cost of living posting further down and you can get an idea of everyday expenses.

GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 08, 2006
Syd, Esma. the reality is many people make 1500 or less and i would say the majority of DXBs population would jump at salary as high as 3500 but you also have the lucky minority who earn over 30,000 and this board has many of them. At the end of the day if you need a change/adventure, you don't mind keeping things on the "cheap" only you can decide what is enough, it sounds like both of you have all your basics covered, so maybe asking yourself after all my basics how much money do i have left and what that money can buy me in Holland or the UK is a better question.

Good luck in whatever you decide,
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Mar 08, 2006
AED30,000- I wish!! I think Fayz you have to compare the standard of living where someone comes from. For example, if coming from a developing country this is a huge opportunity and lifestyle will improve. For some one from a European country I think the acceptance of AED1500 will not give the same scenario. A shame to come here and find you are miserable, strapped for cash and can't get home. :)
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 08, 2006
As said, some people come on 1500 and do save money.. but as GAB said, they came from Developting countries and mostly in very low wage jobs. like.... Serving Shisha.

and i don't think the Cyprus lady is qualified as Shisha server.... JK.

Depends would she like to share accomodation, work in no career low wage job, don't save money, hang around in very low standered places if hang around at all, so it is mainly her lifestyle.

So... Up to her, in this forum alot of info about prices of living.. she got to do the math
yshimy

Mar 08, 2006
Yushi, we're talking about a lady from Bosnia considering a post as a receptionist.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 08, 2006
Waht about qualification????
danial
Dubai Forum User

Mar 08, 2006
X- my assumption is that if she has been living in the Netherlands that she must earn relatively good money compared with her current offer- surely they have a minmum wage...maybe it is the same as here and wage varies with nationality or race.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 08, 2006
G, I know what you're on about. My comment was for Yushi:

and i don't think the Cyprus lady is qualified as Shisha server.... JK.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 08, 2006
Hi aigan , thanks for your reactions!
I live in Holland for over 18 years now so i am a dutch citizen. I make here a middle class wage thats 1700,- euro for a 5 day 8 hours per day work week.
Minus all my monthly costs (living, food, bills, going out etc) i can save 300,- euro per month.
So that sounds ok , i could also if i stay in Holland get a higher position in the firm i work for! But i dont like the atmosphere in Holland plus i hate the rain and i would like to start over aigan in a new country, but if i see these reactions i dont know if its worth it....
I thought that 1500 DH is the same worth there as 1700 euro here.
Its a shame that frontdesk jobs there are seen as low jobs otherwise here in Holland it is seen as a good job to start your carrier in toerism.
The only option for me to make the same wage as here(that would be 7500 DH) is to work here for a dutch hotel chain and hope to be transver to Dubai...(exaple:Golden Tulip)
Thanks aigan for the reactions! I hope i still get the chance to work and live in Dubai for a better wage and maybe a better position....
Esma
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum