So I Thought Of A Good New Years Resolution

Topic locked
So I thought of a good New Years resolution Jan 06, 2008
This forum was so helpful to me moving to Dubai...I resolve to be a better poster and not just a reader! Cheers to all you that help the others in the forum..I was feeling guilty taking advice and not giving any.

Having done the visa business, shipping household contents from Canada, setting up a bank account, getting a loan, finding a house, buying a car(wow) getting a driving license, hiring a gardener, housekeeper(didn't think I would ever need one..but happy to fuel the economy), buying appliances (that was news to me), getting water delivery, gas delivery, buying furniture, getting the DEWA and DU services connected, price-shopped the groceries, shipped the pets, transferred money from Canada done the NTSC/PAL conversion AND figured out why a black convertible Japanese import was a bad idea as I suspected.....all in the past 6 weeks...ask away.I'd like to help others in my situation as best I can.

My brother has lived here for 6 years and every tidbit of help he offered was wrong..my goodness so wrong. The difference being that his company arranges his house and all associated bills...I did it myself like most folks...and what a hassle! Don't be like me..arrive at 9pm DXB time and start work the next day and try to do this stuff on days off. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN! HAving to "go to" the bank is a foreign concept to many, and one that blew me away....it only took 3 hours return trip from Arabian Ranches to Bur Dubai and back....no big deal.

If you get it in your head that your first visit to the RTA/DEWA/DU will be the learning experience, the second visit you will find out what ONE piece of paperwork you are missing, then 3 times a charm! After that revelation, all was good. If I can save someone ONE of these trips, I will be happy!

dubaidog
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum